Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice confusion in DX4WIN (and others?)

Duane_AC5AA
Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
Thanks to K0EOO I've gotten most of DX4WIN to work with SmartCAT and the 6500 as long as I remember the magic incantations.  However, there are still issues, and I don't know if it's related to using the Kenwood instruction set, SCat, or DX4WIN issues.  I suspect one of the two former ones.  If I happen to be using SliceB to work a station simplex, and then log it, or attempt to generate a spot for the cluster, it will automatically pick up Slice A's information (frequency, mode, etc.)  It should be looking at the slice that has focus - I wonder where the problem resides?  

This brings up a second question.  Does a list of recognized problems/issues/concerns exist that we can consult prior to listing a "problem" or "question?"  I scan the community for similar issues before writing one, but sometimes that can be hard to sort out.  

Thanks, everyone - great community here, and good responses!

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    All CAT enabled third-party programs are designed for VFO-A and VFO-B type radios, not multi-slice radios.  The SmartSDR CAT implementation follows this de facto standard by only operating on slice A (as VFO-A) and slice B (as VFO-B).  This is covered in the SmartSDR CAT documentation.

We do not have an on-line list of reported or active defects. You just need to search the community and then ask the question or report the problem if you cannot find a reference to it.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Duane, Tim is said it all...  DX4WIN and all the other logging programs only see VFO-A for clicking on a spot and logging the band, Freq and so on....  I always keep VFO-A and VFO-B for the QSX freq on the band of interest so when I double click on a spot I get the right info set into the log....  Dennis, k0eoo
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

OK, and this is "the way it currently is" for a "2-VFO" transceiver.  Those with rigs that fit this description, including the FLEX-6300 will probably have no issues with that answer.  However, the whole point of the 6500 and 6700 is that extra slices (either 2 or 6 of them) are now available.  I could be listening to (for example) a DXpedition on two different bands, with QSX for each, meaning all four of my slices are assigned.  Looks like the "other" band is suddenly looking better - how do I now, quickly, work and log him?  Either we need a quick method to reassign Slice(n) to VFO-A and Slice(m) to VFO-B, or some other method that more intelligently determines which slice is used for TX and which for RX.  Someone with a 6700 will have the same problem but in spades!  That's part of the beauty of a new paradigm in radios - new ways to use them that don't fit the old mold!  Now Flex could decide they're only going to mimic current radios in their instruction sets, but I think that would be a shortsighted answer. 

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I think Flex and others are giving all these ideas some thought.  I expect we'll be able to define what VFO/Slice gets logged  and so on in the future, I just don't know when that might be....  In the mean time I plan to use the other slices to monitor bands of interest and keep VFOA/B on the slice I'm currently working....  Its a bit awkward but its going to take time before the ROW gets hip to power of the slice, hi, hi....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.