Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Master 6000 Discussion

Comments

• Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Does WSJT-X have to be in ‘the default location’? I install most apps in my D drive. Windows is in C.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You can install WSJT-X anywhere you'd like.  However, by default, Slice Master only knows to look for it in its default location.  If you install it somewhere else, you'll have to edit the Slice Master config file.  The file can be found here

C:Users<your name here>AppDataLocalK1DBOslice-masterconfig.ini

Just search for the WSJT-X section and edit the path to the executable.

Make sure that Slice Master is NOT running while you edit the configs, otherwise your changes will be lost.

• Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited August 2019
    Thanks. That might be my problem.
  • Mauro HB9FBG
    Mauro HB9FBG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi, I'm new to Flex and brand new to Slice Master.
    Someone can give me good links (maybe tested) to be included in the "Spot Sources". Unfortunately I have few spots and I don't understand why and where I'm wrong. Thanks in advance!
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited August 2019
    Hmm readme file says where the Slicemaster config.ini file is but there is no such file or even an APPDATA file in my C drive.  There is an APPDATA file on my D drive but no config file or slicemaster folder anywhere on my computer.  Slicemaster is so particular on where the apps are located that I have to edit this file.  No problem but I cannot find any such file.  Windows 10 latest update.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited August 2019
    Never mind me.  I found the config file by searching under K1DBO on my D drive. 
  • Grant Kesselring
    Grant Kesselring Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I recently upgraded SSDR/CAT/DAX from 2.4.9 to 2.5.1.  Now, Slice Master does not launch JTDX as it used to.  The warning message at the bottom of Slice Master is: "Audio channel is not enabled in DAX control panel. slice='A' dax=1.  I have confirmed that in the DAX Control Panel, the RX stream for Slice A is enabled and it shows streaming activity.  Also, in SSDR the mode is set to DIGU and DAX is set to channel 1.  I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

• W9ILY
    W9ILY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    A slightly different problem.
    On a very busy band the CW Skimmer shuts down. The launch tab on S/M is also changed to "never". On a not busy band it stays in operation normally. Anybody else see this?
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi, no I have not noticed that. Only when I intentionalle close down slice master.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Having a problem with CW Skimmer while using Slice Master. If I click on the SSDR waterfall CW Skimmer will not follow the freq change. But if I click on the CW Skimmer waterfall the radio follows. 
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    CW Skimmer does not work for Slice "A" It works fine for B

2019-10-21 22:16:14,772 INFO   cwskimmer.telnet_connect Connected to CW Skimmer telnet port. slice='A' port=7301
    2019-10-21 22:16:14,858 INFO   cwskimmer.telnet_handler Lost connection with CW Skimmer slice='A'

I tried many things and still can't figure it out what is wrong...? 
  • Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Seems the integration with DXLabs Spotcollector is not working, with or without enabling http server in Spotcollector. Running Slicemaster 0.10.7c. and SSDR 3.1.8.and SpotCollector 8.4.4
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I've given up on Slice Master. When opening CW Skimmer, Slice Master causes it to minimize Skimmer and makes it unusable. One other fellow Flex user has no problem with Slice Master but can't use SDR Bridge. I on the other hand CAN use SDR Bridge and NOT Slice Master for CW Skimmer. This is driving me nuts!

• Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sorry about this, and I feel silly even asking...but I see no links anywhere on the releases page from which one could download the current Windows executable for SliceMaster 6000. Would I find that?

Again, zero links here:https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000/releases for downloads of the executable. Where is that binary located?

Thanks again, sorry I can't find it, when it seems everyone else on this thread had no problem with that.

Ok, hang on...I found it. Not obvious, but I found it. Click the big blue text at the top of the page for the most recent release.  Then, scroll to the bottom of the page and find a list of Assets.  The first one, a zip file, is the link I had been looking for.
  • LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Don,
    I would like to use Omnirig instead of default Ham Radio Deluxe as Radio Control of WSJT-x and Fake It instead of default None for Split Operation.
    Could you advice please.
    73 Boyan

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Boyan,

Slice Master doesnt support Omnirig.  It only supports the HRD protocol for rig control with WSJT-X.  Are you having a problem with WSJT-X controlling your slice?  Note that Slice Master's use of the HRD protocol does not imply the need to install or use any part of HRD.

"Fake it" is designed for rigs that use analog audio to feed the signal to the radio.  These analog paths often include equalization that distort your signal and thus end up creating a "sweet spot" in the passband where no distortion exists.  With DAX and DIGU mode in the Flex, there is no sweet spot.  Your WSJT-X signal can appear anywhere in the passband and work just as well as anywhere else.

Slice Master is designed to simplify configuration of third party software by eliminating choices that need not be made.  I also hope that these choices dont get in the way of "operating style" or "user preference".  Are you finding WSJT-X doesnt work correctly with the Flex when split mode is set to None?  Is there something you would like to happen that cant happen when split mode is set to None?

I'm very open to arguments to the contrary, but at this point I'm sticking with the assertion that "None" is the correct split mode for use with the Flex.

--Don

• LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

Hi Don,

thanks for your explanation. WSJT-X documentation strongly suggests to use RIT or Fake It, which seems is not necessary for Flex radios, so the way you did it is just fine.
    BTW Omnirig is working OK until you close wsjt-x :)

73 Boyan

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Boyan, 

Omnirig is known to work well with the Flex.  That's not the issue. 

If you have Slice Master launch WSJT-X then change the rig settings, WSJT-X is no longer talking to Slice Master.  It's now talking to Omnirig which is then talking to SDR CAT which is then talking to the Flex.

Slice Master knows it's sitting between the Flex and WSJT-X.  Omnirig only knows it's talking to a radio.  It doesnt know what is talking to it (WSJT-X).  When connecting WSJT-X to the Flex, Slice Master knows to optimize the connection for that purpose.  For example, Slice Master will make sure DAX is selected as the audio source whenever WSJT-X requests a TX.  Omnirig can only control two of your slices.  Slice Master can handle all eight.

If you enjoy re-configuring your software every time you launch a program, Slice Master probably isnt for you.  If you want to launch a handful of programs on any slice at any time and be pretty sure it will just work, let Slice Master configure things for you.  And please, let me know if Slice Master doesnt meet this expectation. 

--Don

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited December 2019
    To add to Don's comments, since the Flex has a flat EQ from about 0Hz to how every wide you open the filters (3000Hz), Fake it or anything else is not required at all.  

Other HF rigs do not have the same Flat equalization so WSJT compensates for this by moving the VFO to about the center of the audio passband (I think they assume 1500 hz is good).  Again, not required for any 6000 series Flex radio.  We have designed it to work correctly from the ground up.

I have worked stations from 200Hz up to 3000hz offset without issue and the VFO never moves.  :)

Mike

• LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Well, maybe all that is described somewhere, but I missed it and I red only WSJT-X help file when I configured my setup. Of course it is easier to let Slicemaster to take care about configuration.
    Thanks again for explanation!
    73 Boyan
  • LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

Hi Don,

could you advice please how to set up 2 skimmers on 2 bands.
    6600 v.3.1.8
    comp-1 SSDR slice A+B on first band, DAXIQ1
    comp-2 SSDR slice A+B on second band, DAXIQ3

73 Boyan
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Boyan,

It sounds like you are already set up for it.  In Slice Master, just select the Launch tab for your slice and press the quick launch button for CW Skimmer.  You can do this for as many slices as you like.  If CW Skimmer doesnt launch, check the status line at the bottom of Slice Master for warning or error messages.  If you miss them you can click on the status area and let your mouse sit there for a couple of seconds.  You'll get a pop-up showing the last few messages.

As long as you have a DAXIQ channel set on the panafall for your slice, and that DAXIQ channel is enabled the DAX Control Panel it should just work.

--Don

• LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Don,
    I have two separate PC's and on each of them is runing SSDR with 2 active slices A+B and a Slicemaster.
    Spots from both Slicemasters are combined in one Wintelnetx.
    Is it possible to use only one Slicemaster from which I can start one skimmer linked to PC1 Slice A and a second skimmer linked to PC2 Slice A?
    73 Boyan
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Boyan,

Slice Master needs to be running on the computer where it launches the third programs.  That is... Slice Master running on computer 1 cant launch a CW Skimmer on computer 2.  

Now if you are asking for computer 2's CW Skimmers to be launched by computer 1's Slice Master and to run on computer 1.  I'd say that's possible but would require a code change.

--Don

• LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Don,

I think it is a good idea if Slicemaster can agregate spots from both skimmers and a cluster and can feed a loging program with these spots.
    Could you check please my setting below.

Agregator is feeding Skimmer spots to my logger, while VE7CC Cluster spots are missing.
    73 Boyan

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Boyan,

Slice Master is working as designed.  The spot sources in Slice Master are there to send spots to SSDR's panafall display.  The aggregration server is there to collect spots from the programs that Slice Master launches.

However, there is an undocumented (I think) and lightly tested feature available in Slice Master's aggregation server that provides the behavior you are looking for.  After your logger's telnet client connects to Slice Master, have it send 
        set/sm_external
    This will cause Slice Master to send all spots, regardless of source, to your client.

There's a chance you'll create a loop in your spot plumbing but depending on the program that might not be an issue.  Slice Master does what it can to prevent sending spots back to where they came from, but it's not always easy to tell.  So your logger might send a spot to Slice Master, Slice Master will send it back to your logger, and then your logger will it back to Slice Master.  Guess what happens next ;)

I like to use VE7CC's CC User program to aggregate my spots.  It does a much better job with spot filters than Slice Master ever will.  I have Slice Master get its spot from CC User and I also have CC User get spots from Slice Master.  My logger only needs to get spots from CC User to see everything.  Slice Master's loop protection works well in this case.  I do understand that the lack of filtering is not always a big deal and sometimes, having to run and configure yet another program can be a real pain.

Give this feature a try and let me know how it goes.

--Don

• LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Don,
    the command works, but time to time there is a loop, so it is better not to use it that way.
    I will stay with wintelnetx.
    73 Boyan
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Any updates for SM6K? I know I am using a dev version (7c.12) that fixed an issue I had, so was wondering if there will be a released version?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Gary,

The splash screen you see when Slice Master start up will let you know if a new version is available.  The bug fixes you have in your dev version will be in the next release.

--Don

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    OK, thanks, BTW where does SM store it's settings?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.