Slice Master 6000 v0.10.7 is now available

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Version v0.10.7 adds basic Flex SSDR v3 support to Slice Master. 

The latest README is now available at https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000 and will tell you how to get started, or you can just download the latest zip from https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000/releases

If you are running SSDR v2 or SSDR v3 but not using any of the Multi-Flex features, you shouldnt notice anything new in this release.  If you are using Multi-Flex, and would like to specify the station for Slice Master to bind too, you'll be interested in the new
         --station STATION
start-up option.  This option can only be set at start up time so you'll need to either create a Slice Master shortcut for each station you'd like to bind to or start Slice Master from a cmd window.

I hope this release is less buggy than I expect it to be.  Please let me know how it goes.  Unreported problems rarely get fixed!

--Don

Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 544 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 75 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Thanks for all the work you've put into the program.

I'm having difficulty with getting it to launch WSJT-X.  No issues with CW Skimmer, skimmer launches and works as expected.  Using V3.

I verified that DAX is enabled on the slice and in the DAX control panel.  I started Slice Master from the cmd window and used the --station attribute.  I did have to take the space out of my station name in order for SM to recognize the station.  Also, started WSJT-X manually and then retried with SM-no change.  I am using 2.1.0 rc5.  Could this be causing an incompatibility issue?  

-Chuck
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Thanks Chuck... you're right.  The problem was on my end.  I've uploaded a v0.10.7a to github.  It should take care of the WSJT-X problem.
Photo of Mario - KC8P

Mario - KC8P

• 58 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
The 0.10.7a works well. Thanks!
Photo of TAC

TAC

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm running FlexRadio 2.4.9 on and 6300, Slice Master 6000 v0.10.7b, and WSJT-X v2.0.1. 

When I start SM is it supposed to automagically find WSJT-X and display it under the Launch tab? 

I'm also running HRD v6.5.0.207 and only see DN780 listed under the SM Launch | Slice A tab.  
Photo of TAC

TAC

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
As a test I just installed CW Skimmer and I see it automatically showed up under the Launch | Slice A tab of Slice Master.
(Edited)
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
If WSJT-X is installed in the default location, Slice Master will find it and add it to the launch tabs. Note that if you just installed it, the installation isn’t complete until you run it I once from the desktop. You don’t have to configure it but adding your station information to its settings is a good idea.

—Don
Photo of TAC

TAC

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thnx! 
Photo of Brian Denley  KB1VBF

Brian Denley KB1VBF

• 99 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Does WSJT-X have to be in ‘the default location’? I install most apps in my D drive. Windows is in C.
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
You can install WSJT-X anywhere you'd like.  However, by default, Slice Master only knows to look for it in its default location.  If you install it somewhere else, you'll have to edit the Slice Master config file.  The file can be found here

C:\Users\<your name here>\AppData\Local\K1DBO\slice-master\config.ini

Just search for the WSJT-X section and edit the path to the executable.

Make sure that Slice Master is NOT running while you edit the configs, otherwise your changes will be lost.

Brian Denley KB1VBF

• 99 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Thanks. That might be my problem.

Brian Denley KB1VBF

• 99 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hmm readme file says where the Slicemaster config.ini file is but there is no such file or even an APPDATA file in my C drive.  There is an APPDATA file on my D drive but no config file or slicemaster folder anywhere on my computer.  Slicemaster is so particular on where the apps are located that I have to edit this file.  No problem but I cannot find any such file.  Windows 10 latest update.

Brian Denley KB1VBF

• 99 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Never mind me.  I found the config file by searching under K1DBO on my D drive. 
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1143 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I am on it. Will let you know Don

Rich
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1143 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
So far so good. CW skimmer and WSJT working fine. Did not want to play at first. I deleted the slicemaster folder in my user folders and rebooted and took right off.

Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Great!  Thanks for the feedback Rich.

The config folder should have worked fine.  No changes in there since the last version.  Perhaps it was the reboot that really did the trick?
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1143 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Yea good chance it was reboot. When in doubt...
Photo of lz2be

lz2be

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Don,
CW skimmer often is spotting one station on 2 different frequencies, a proper and false at the same time.
I'm with 6600 v.3
73 Boyan
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
I'm going to have to dig into my notes on this one.  I sounds very similar to something that's been discussed before.  The short of it is that it's not a Slice Master problem but rather a DAX problem.  My guess is that your DAX drivers need some attention.  You might have other, still unnoticed, issues with them. 

A quick fix might be to tell CW Skimmer to use the WDM Soundcard Drivers instead of the MME drivers that Slice Master prefers.  But if that helps it only confirms my guess.
Photo of Boyan Petkov

Boyan Petkov

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Don,
No difference with MME or WDM drivers. Skimmer works OK with Afedri RX. DAX, CAT and SSDR are put in exception list of Firewall and antivirus.
It looks I have some problems with my DAXIQ installation, but I don't have any idea where to look.
I'm with Win10 Pro64.
73 Boyan
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1143 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Boyan,

I would start with this. Flex DAX is a little flaky and seems to require occasional rebuilding

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

Photo of Boyan Petkov

Boyan Petkov

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Rich,
thanks for link. I will try it next week when I come back at home.
73 Boyan
Photo of Boyan Petkov

Boyan Petkov

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I found the problem after few drivers uninstalls/installs :)
IQ drivers were set by default to 24bit 48kHz in my Sounds Playback/Recording Advanced settings.
Skimmer works OK when you set it to 48kHz, but there are a lot of wrong spots when is set to 96kHz or 192kHz.
I changed IQ drivers to 24bit 192kHz and Skimmer now works OK on 48, 96 and 192kHz without any false spot.
I left all other DAX drivers (RX, TX and Mic audio) to 48kHz.

73 Boyan
Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 75 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I tried what you suggested and I'm still seeing false spots on 48, 96, and 192 kHz.  Are there any other recommendations?  I don't recall seeing this on 2.4.9 and the compatible SliceMaster version.
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Make sure the DAX drivers are set to stereo (2 channel).  I've seen cases where they end up being set to mono (1 channel).  For I/Q data, the I uses one channel and the Q uses the other.

--Don
Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 75 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Definitely set to two channel.
Photo of W9TVX

W9TVX

• 57 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thank you so much for this program. I love it. Very much appreciated!
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 542 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
You're welcome!
Photo of Wolf - DF7KB

Wolf - DF7KB

• 30 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Don,

Just loaded v0.10.7b and it works fine with DM780 and
WSJT-X.  Thank you for this nice program !

Two questions:
(1) Does it support WSJT V10.0 as well ( used in the EME Community) ? 
(2) How to activate the HRD Logbook ?

73 Wolf
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 544 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Wolf,

Sorry, but Slice Master does not support WSJT V10.0.  You're the first the ask.

HRD Logbook, on the other hand is fairly well supported.  Slice Master wont launch it for you, but you can use Slice Master in place of HRD Rig Control and configure HRD Logbook to connect to it instead.  This starts with enabling Slice Master's HRD TCP TX Listener on the Slice Master settings tab.  Make note of the port number.  It's usually 7810 but could be anything.

Then configure HRD Logbook's radio pane to connect to Slice Master

We've now taken HRD Rig Control out of the loop and put Slice Master in its place.  

You can also configure HRD Logbook to read spots from Slice Master's telnet aggregation server.  

The first step is to enable Slice Master's aggregation server

This capture also shows how to enable spots from other telnet servers.  HRD Logbook will only connect to one telnet server at a time.  So if you want your "locally" discovered spots from CW Skimmer and WSJT-X to appear in HRD Logbook along with spots from other cluster servers, you'll have to configure Slice Master to connect to the other cluster servers.

The second spot source show here tells Slice Master to query HRD Logbook for "color" information.  Whenever a new spot is discovered, Slice Master will ask HRD Logbook for information on the call.  That information will be used to apply a color to the spot when it is displayed in the SSDR panafall.  The color is intended to give you a rough idea of the desirability of the spot.

Back in HRD Logbook, you'll need to add Slice Master's aggregation server

and select it for use.

Finally, on HRD Logbook's Tools menu select the 'Network Server' option and make sure that it's enabled.  If you are already using DM780, it probably is.

Slice Master can also work with HRD Sat Track but there's a fairly recent thread here on that topic so I'll skip that for now.

Good Luck!

--Don

Photo of EA4AYW

EA4AYW

• 59 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi to all.
I need the link for download Please.

Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 187 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000/releases

I downloaded yesterday, installed, and it did work flawless with WSJT-X this morning.

Johan

(Edited)

Brian Denley KB1VBF

• 101 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Is there a manual for Slicemaster 6000? The readme file is not doing it for me.
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 544 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Brian,

Sorry but the README is about all there is to the documentation for Slice Master.  What are you having trouble with?

--Don

Brian Denley KB1VBF

• 101 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thanks for the hard work and for replying. I have only had my Flex 6400 for two weeks. It’s great but I’m still learning Dax, etc. I own the latest release of HRD for instance but I can’t seem to get Slicemaster to start it or any other app. Do I need to do something different with CAT?

Thanks
Brian. KB1VBF
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 544 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Brian,

Is Slice Master connecting to your radio?  If so, there's not much more to getting it to configure and launch a handful of digimode programs.  Most of the supported  programs need to be run at least once outside of Slice Master to finish off their installation.  It's also important to either install these programs in their default locations or to let Slice Master know where you've installed them by editing its config file.  

With HRD installed, Slice Master should give you the option to launch DM780 but it doesnt automatically launch HRD Rig Control or any of the other HRD components.  You can launch them on your own, but with Slice Master, there's no need for HRD Rig Control.  

But before going into detail I'd like to suggest that you use the search function here to find other posts related to Slice Master and HRD.  Give those a look and if things are still muddy, drop me an email at the address you see when Slice Master starts up.

--Don
Photo of Mauro HB9FBG

Mauro HB9FBG

• 29 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, I'm new to Flex and brand new to Slice Master.
Someone can give me good links (maybe tested) to be included in the "Spot Sources". Unfortunately I have few spots and I don't understand why and where I'm wrong. Thanks in advance!
Photo of Grant Kesselring

Grant Kesselring

• 36 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I recently upgraded SSDR/CAT/DAX from 2.4.9 to 2.5.1.  Now, Slice Master does not launch JTDX as it used to.  The warning message at the bottom of Slice Master is: "Audio channel is not enabled in DAX control panel. slice='A' dax=1.  I have confirmed that in the DAX Control Panel, the RX stream for Slice A is enabled and it shows streaming activity.  Also, in SSDR the mode is set to DIGU and DAX is set to channel 1.  I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 81 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
A slightly different problem.
On a very busy band the CW Skimmer shuts down. The launch tab on S/M is also changed to "never". On a not busy band it stays in operation normally. Anybody else see this?
Photo of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP, Elmer

• 294 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Hi, no I have not noticed that. Only when I intentionalle close down slice master.
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 117 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Having a problem with CW Skimmer while using Slice Master. If I click on the SSDR waterfall CW Skimmer will not follow the freq change. But if I click on the CW Skimmer waterfall the radio follows. 
Photo of Mario - KC8P

Mario - KC8P

• 58 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
CW Skimmer does not work for Slice "A" It works fine for B

2019-10-21 22:16:14,772 INFO   cwskimmer.telnet_connect Connected to CW Skimmer telnet port. slice='A' port=7301
2019-10-21 22:16:14,858 INFO   cwskimmer.telnet_handler Lost connection with CW Skimmer slice='A'

I tried many things and still can't figure it out what is wrong...? 
Photo of Roland HB9VQQ

Roland HB9VQQ

• 29 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Seems the integration with DXLabs Spotcollector is not working, with or without enabling http server in Spotcollector. Running Slicemaster 0.10.7c. and SSDR 3.1.8.and SpotCollector 8.4.4
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 167 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
I've given up on Slice Master. When opening CW Skimmer, Slice Master causes it to minimize Skimmer and makes it unusable. One other fellow Flex user has no problem with Slice Master but can't use SDR Bridge. I on the other hand CAN use SDR Bridge and NOT Slice Master for CW Skimmer. This is driving me nuts!

(Edited)
Photo of Rocinante

Rocinante

• 28 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Sorry about this, and I feel silly even asking...but I see no links anywhere on the releases page from which one could download the current Windows executable for SliceMaster 6000. Would I find that?

Again, zero links here:https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000/releases for downloads of the executable. Where is that binary located?

Thanks again, sorry I can't find it, when it seems everyone else on this thread had no problem with that.

Ok, hang on...I found it. Not obvious, but I found it. Click the big blue text at the top of the page for the most recent release.  Then, scroll to the bottom of the page and find a list of Assets.  The first one, a zip file, is the link I had been looking for.
(Edited)