Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Master 6000 v0.10.5 is now available

13»

Comments

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ronald,

It's not unnecessary to uninstall and reload, but depending on your comfort level with editing config files, it might be easiest.

Slice Master will look where it's told for any of the applications it knows how to launch.  It just doesnt have a user interface for changing where it looks.  The paths to known executables are specified in the Slice Master config.ini  Feel free to adjust them to match your system, but note that there are items in the config file that should not be changed.

--Don

• Ronald, KW3S
    Ronald, KW3S Member
    edited July 2018
    Don,

I just tried wsjt redirect and SM found it!  Wow did wsjt come up fast.

Thank you for the instructions and what a great program.

Ron
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've run into an issue with v0.10.5C

Normally I will start Smart SDR then Slice Master. When Slice Master starts up I usually get 2 messages displayed on my screen from Smart SDR saying "Client Connected From IP" along with the IP address

But after upgrading to this new version every so often after starting Slice Master my screen gets flooded with the Client Connected From IP messages. They keep scrolling up from the bottom right of my screen

This doesn't happen all the time but when it does restarting Slice Master doesn't help. I have to shut down Smart SDR. Also, it doesn't seem to happen if I start Slice Master first then Smart SDR
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Pat,

Give v0.10.5d a try... same link as the top of this thread.  If it still happens, and you are interested in helping to find the problem, send me an email and we'll get started.

Thanks.

--Don

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Don, 0.10.5b seems to be working very well here.  this is the first time I have had CW skimmer working and synching without error for the last 5 hours on 3 slices, I'm impressed...

Thanks, Dennis, k0eoo

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Don
    This could be operator error on my part, but today I'm seeing 30+ IP connection attempts whenever v0.10.5d starts, I reverted back to v0.10.14c and Slicemaster now opens correctly.
    The stream of 30+ connection notifications from Win 10 was stealing focus while it occurred I was having to wait for it to end, before I could try to close Slicemaster. I looked over the Slicemaster log and saw nothing indicating a problem. I guess I'll stay on v0.10.14c for now. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Start Slice Master before you start SSDR and that wont happen
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Don, when I start Slicemaster 0.10.5b and have it open CW Skimmer I get an error message that I can close out and all seems to work except when I put my curser over a CW signal that is decoding, I get the text he is sending but it seems garbled? Also, the CW station's call doesn't always decode?

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yep after trying n8sdr suggestion I'm now having issues with both WSJT-X and Skimmer. I'l keep plugging away with it

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jay,

It's not operator error.  Something is going wrong early in the start up sequence while Slice Master is connecting to the radio

If you'd like to help track down this bug, send me an email and I'll let you know how to get started.

Thanks.

--Don

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The error message you are seeing is from CW Skimmer.  You have it configured to open a master.dta file that doesnt exist.  In CW Skimmer's settings dialog, select the "Calls" tab and adjust the path to where you keep yours.  I think the one you are currently looking for is the default (and likely out of date) version supplied during the CW Skimmer install.  A re-install of CW Skimmer might restore that one.

The trouble with decoding is likely related to DAX.  Try rebooting the radio and your computer to see if the problem persists.  Sometimes, simply restarting DAX or the radio will do the trick.

Good luck!
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    thanks Don, I'll check those suggestions out tomorrow....
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Will do Don.
  • Russ McIntyre K8AH
    Russ McIntyre K8AH Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Don.
    I got it working FB but would like one more thing.
    Can you send to Logger32?  That is when I select a spot on SSDR is it possible to have the call entered into Logger32 call entry window?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Russ... that feature is in the works and will be available in the next release.
  • Russ McIntyre K8AH
    Russ McIntyre K8AH Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Great!  Thanks.
  • K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I've been using Slicemaster to display spots from HRD Logbook on my Panafalls since the feature came out in the recent SSDR release and it works really well.  One feature I would like to see would be to populate the HRD ALE window with the selected spot.  That would really complete the integration as I would be able to have PstRotor turn my antenna to the spot as well as prepare the station for logging.  Any chance of seeing this?  Thanks for making this great program available to the Flex community.
  • Chuck Sinclair
    edited November 2018
    Do the spots follow you from band to band cuz mine don't.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited December 2018
    So how do you use it? I downloaded it, unzipped it, and ran it. I changed the settings as directed in the README file. It does nothing. It doesn't bring up any programs, it doesn't connect anything to anything. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I can't see what.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Frank,

Did it find your radio and connect to it?  That's the first step at least.  Second, is setting a slice to launch programs for you.  For this to work you'll need to have the other programs installed in their default location or make some adjustments to Slice Master config.ini so that it find them where you've installed them.  

A screen shot of what you are seeing might help, or you can send me an email with a copy of your Slice Master config folder.  It contains a wealth of information.  Just navigate to
        C:Users<your user name>AppDataLocalK1DBO
    then right-click on slice-master and select 'Send toCompressed (zipped) folder'.  This will create a zip file that you can then attach to your next email reply.  It should give me a pretty good idea of what's going on.

I'm happy to help... 

--Don

• Frank Kirschner
    edited December 2018
    Don,

I don't know why, but after several reboots and restarts of the programs, everything seems to be working fine. I don't know what I did to get it working. (One exception - I did figure out how to get HRD LogBook reading the rig frequency.)

I haven't tried shutting everything down and starting from scratch. I'll try that tomorrow. For now, everything works as expected.

Thanks for your offer of help.

Frank
    KF6E
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited December 2018
    Well, the Maestro crashed, so I had to reboot everything. It seems to work perfectly. I don't know why it took so long to get everything going.

It appears that the stations identified by CW Skimmer show up as spots on the panadapter. Since I use CW Skimmer for busting CW pileups, this is very useful. I can spin the B slice knob to the spot the DX station is listening to.

Thanks for an ingenious piece of software.

Frank
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited December 2018
    How it works seems to depend on what day it is. Today, DM780 won't run. It puts up the splash screen and stops there. Also, the settings in SliceMaster aren't retained on closing the program.

Any help on what I'm doing wrong?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Frank, if you're saying that the Slice Master launch settings arent being retained when you close DM780, that's actually intended behavior.  The launch setting are to specify when to automatically launch and close the applications.  If you manually close the program yourself, it's like telling Slice Master that you 'Never' want it automatically.

I hate to ask, but have you tried rebooting?  When things work then dont it's usually because something has changed.  The change could be configuration related in which case it will persist after the reboot.  Or, it could be less intentional, like a driver problem or a run-away application using up all your ram or cpu.  If things always work right after a reboot but not after running for couple of days that would be a valuable clue.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited December 2018
    Don,

OK on manually closing a program. That explains what I was seeing. When DM780 came up with no waterfall, I manually closed it.

I shut down the computer every evening and boot anew each morning. When I first experienced these problems, I rebooted several times during the process.

When I run SliceMaster, it starts to bring DM780 up, but stops at the splash screen. HRD LogBook no longer connects to the radio, and so has no frequency indication.

What screen shots would be useful in diagnosing the problem?
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited December 2018
    Don,

I emailed you what I thought might be relevant screen captures. Hope we can figure this out.

Frank

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.