Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice flag & P/CW graphics issues V1.6 & suggestion

KC2QMA_John
KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas

The text in both the slice flag and P/CW have spacing problem. You
can see in the P/CW window the proc button partially covering the
text. In the flag you can see the VFO frequency text covering the DSP
status indicators. No big deal just thought i would let you know.

imageimage

I also
have a small suggestion to improve the UI.

Is it possible to have all of the slider buttons show there numeric values all of the time, I suppose it can be an option that the user could click a check box in the radio setup... window? Why hide the data in the first place?

Also it would be great that when you hover the cursor over a slider button you could use the mouse scroll wheel to change the slider value? I know that one is a bit more tricky;)

I think both displaying the slider values and the use of the mouse scroll wheel make the interface more informative and faster to control especially in a contesting environment.

Maybe it could look something like this?

Thanks Again
KC2QMA
John
16 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The cursor/mouse wheel has been requested for a long time especially as it is windows' default behaviour.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I know this could be a bit more complicated because of the focus issue. Currently the wheel controls VFO.

Still would love to have the sliders show the values all the time.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I fully agree and have 'liked' this suggestion at the top of the thread. Because the wheel/slider control is standard in windows programs, I find myself changing freq in SSDR when, out of habit, I try to use the wheel to control a slider. As if in a further rude gesture (hi, hi) to Windows convention, it is not the left/right arrow keys that control the sliders either. It is either the up/down or PgUp/PgDn ones - I forget which.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Flex - I am totally old school. Can you please consider my suggestion to replace the MOX button?

73's

W7NGA  dan
    San Juan Island, Wa.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Dan, that is totally way too high tech.image
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    Dan 
    I still have a couple of those from Lafayette Radio somewhere -- used them to switch ladder line. 
    Dan
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Please click the Like & Me Too buttons if you like this idea.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    FWIW, you can adjust sliders accurately by clicking on the black areas left and right of the actual circle.   I know it's not perfect, but it's at least a precise way of changing them.  Hovering over the slider dot shows the value too.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Why have sliders at all. It's almost all the way back to a graphical facsimile of an analog meter. I just use numbers: SWR 1.8:1 rf power 340w. It takes less space and less interpretation.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I think having the graphical sliders is OK. Comes in handy when at a glance you can see the general position of the sliders giving you a general idea of the values, Besides I think if you removed the graphics yes it would take less screen space but would probably freak people out that are new to SDR radio.

I don’t mind the graphics but I wish I could see the slider values ALL OF THE TIME.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I was less than accurate in what I was saying above. I was referring more to the progress bar/slider control to indicate output. In XPSSDR I show output values as numbers, as above but for input, sliders are fine. Where that is important is for power out where 100, meaning 100% could equate to 700watts not 100watts. Part of what I believe people are reacting to with superimposing numerics on sliders is SSDR is very dense graphically so I think we are all trying to reduce the density of the user interface.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    please click the LIKE & ME TOO buttons at the top of the page.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Another style.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    JMO, but that just seems like more clutter.. I'm good with just hovering over the slider to see the current setting.. but to each his own.

If this were implemented please give us the option to turn in off.

73's
    David
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sorry to be tangential, but the SSDR GUI should be redesigned to display fully with 1080p vertical monitor resolution.

(owners of higher res monitors will naturally disagree  ;-)

73, Barry N1EU
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes David, I agree about the option to "Show/Hide" slider values.
    The problem with the mouse hover only is that you can not see all of the values at the same time.
    The Idea is that at a glance you can see the status of all of the slider values at one time.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Would also make sense to have the option to make the "Radio Panel" horizontal since almost everyone has Wide-Screen monitors now.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Or pinnable such that people can move child windows and reposition them as they like, ala HRD. But, so as not to go too far off topic, there is a margin and gap issue on some controls.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Remember to click the LIKE & ME TOO buttons at top of page if you support this Idea.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    First, it may be hard to implement numerals that fit into this super small area properly and work with various operating system's dynamic DPI scaling features, so implementation using a vector font may not be possible.  That means they would need to make bitmaps for each number and mapping that over the control also may not be easily done without it looking cheesy.   Also, the number 100 would not fit easily into such a small area.  Therefore, I do not think this implementation is possible cleanly and do not think it should be implemented.   The hover-over that exists currently is the best way in my opinion.

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oh you've gotta be kidding me, how did I not know this?  I just always assumed clicking to the left/right of the circle was a page up/page down click.

*bangs head against monitor*

This post will save me minutes of frustration in the future. ;-)
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

OK Chris we'll put you down for 1 no vote :) The image I posted was a quick mock up just to show the general idea. As far implementation slider values can shown more than one way. The buttons can be rectangular instead if round, Values can be floating and shown in the empty space to the left or right of the sliders depending on position and so on…

And as far as OS's currently SSDR is windows only at this time.

Let me say again this feature is clearly not the highest priority but I feel that being able click a check box or something to show these slider values All At One Time would be very useful to many users especially contesters where speed and efficiency is everything.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    John,
    Initially SSDR didn't have the "delay, speed and sidetone" digital values displayed.  

I suggested adding them about 2 years ago which was implemented.  Here is a link to that request for reference:  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/cw_speed_and_delay_display_idea

Displaying them on the left of the sliders allows the font to be large and easy to read and is potentially less of a programming effort than modifying the sliding buttons.

Would this work for some of the other screens that you are interested in?

There is also another idea on the list (currently in the top 10 with 35 votes) to improve the SWR and Power meter displays.  It also includes adding a digital readout.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/idea_to_improve_the_swr_and_power_scale_readability

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10 

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Remember to click the LIKE & ME TOO buttons at top of page if you support this Idea.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Please refrain from reposting a reply multiple times in an attempt to increase the voting of an idea post. Thank you.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Tim it was getting old
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    But if it was actually having a positive effect on the number of votes, it would infer that the software used for this forum is not the best for voting on possible new features. Personally, I hate it and have yet to find anything that can better a phpBB forum. I will not get started on how much I dislike (being polite) Yahoo groups.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My point exactly! How are people supposed to vote if the post disappears down the list because other folks want to talk about there favorite Christmas presents, Android Apps, PR40 mic or PR781,DXCC stats, and other semi non related item.

How are you supposed to know what your customers want to see improve if a there is know organized way to do it.

IF PEOPLE DON’T SEE THE POST THEY CAN”T VOTE ON IT.

Please click the LIKE & ME TOO buttons at the top of the page if you support this idea.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You are really putting to much into this voting thing. Flex reads all the inputs to the forum, Tim is reading here all the time. they have a good idea about what is important to customers. They also decide on changes depending on were it fits with all the other things they are working on. So even if many people want something it may not be the best time to implement it. But it will go on a list to do.

Also I believe Tim asked you to stop the please click thing, as a good contributor to the forum you should comply.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It didn't occur to me before Bill but I suspect it's part of the signature... Doesn't alter what Tim said, however.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.