Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sizeable Slice Receiver

Pat N6PAT
Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
Allow the size of the Slice Receiver to be adjustable. The panadapter can be stretched and resized but the Slice Receiver area remains the same size.  Allowing it to be resized will give aid to the sight impaired.

Additionally, providing the ability to select font size and color for frequency readout and control labels will also improve operating conditions for the sight impaired.

Comments

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited July 2019
    I adjust my slice all the time.... just click and drag on the frequency bar
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You can increase the size of the slice receiver itself independent of the panadapter?

I'm talking about making it larger by dragging it diagonally
  • James Whiteway
    edited July 2019
    Are you talking about the flag area where the frequency is displayed? If so, I don't think you can resize it. Just the receive filter width, by clicking and dragging either side to increase or decrease the receive filter width. James WD5GWY
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    No. I'm talking about the whole Slice block that contains the frequency readout, antenna selection, DAX control, volume control,  Slice letter, etc. The black area containing all of these. It would be nice to be able to resize the entire slice block as well as the control labels, numbers etc.along with the pan
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Pat, There is also an idea to expand / contract the slice flag contents. The large size option could be a part as well. Take a look and see if this is of any interest. Like many of the gui enhancements it has been in the queue for years but maybe some day. Certainly enhancements to assist sight impaired would be good, especially if they are done in a way that the features are optional and easily selected. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/expanded_slice_display_option_to_improve_ease_of_use If you like the idea, adding you comments would be good. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I might not be understanding what you want, but try this Pat. Open up a 2nd pandapter, when you do you will now see an arrow icon beside the window and "x" that closes the panadapter, on the top right above the dBm scale.
    Now if you click that arrow icon, that panadapter opens  up it's own window independent of the SmartSDR window and you can resize it to full screen if you wish or move it to another monitor and make it full screen size or any size you wish.
    Now re-reading your post you want the slice portion to be re-sizeable, now that would be a major re-write for SmartSDR and Maestro. Why not just connect another monitor and resize the display to be huge to your liking then move the panadapter window to that. It will give you what you want, a much larger slice to see.

As per VFO color/size that has been on my wish list and I suspect many others too. I would think all the hard coding has been done with all the routines for font size and color for spots. Now to implement same for VFO display, a very minor addition but would make many happy.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I'm talking about the entire slice control box - for lack of a better label

We can enlarge the pan but this black area stays the same size. It would be nice to be able to enlarge it and the controls within as well

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I'll repeat what I suggested, Why not just connect another monitor and resize the windows  display resolution to be huge to your liking then move the panadapter window to that. It will give you what you want, a much larger slice to see. I'm doing it now.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Because changing the res on the monitor tends to **** up a lot of other things. I already use 2 monitors and really don't want to add another one.

It would be a nice feature if the slice box itself could be enlarged just like the pan can be enlarged
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It's called the Flag.  You could also use the Windows magnifier tool to make it larger without messing with display resolution but this is a clunky option.  This shouldn't be too hard for FRS to do ?  Good feature request !  Minimum size flag (which is already done), full size flag and double size flag.  Open a ticket and make a formal request.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've opened enough tickets!
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've got 3 LED monitors going for years and nothing gets **** up, a 32" in the middle of two 22". There is actually another 22" above the 22" on my right that I use when I need extra data during contesting. I also have a 6700. I have one monitor with different monitor resolution for this exact reason, eye fatigue I drag whatever work I'm doing to that monitor so I can see everything larger. Very easy solution for what you are asking.
    It would be nice to resize the slice if and when FRS has no other major features to add or get caught up on. I surely would not want them to divert resources for this feature when there is lot more bigger fish to fry. 

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Pat you put this as an Idea, that means Flex will flag it and log the idea.
    But till Flex makes the changes your asking for, and it could be some time, some of the suggestions here will get you by till such time. Otherwize, we just wait.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    How do you know Flex even look at any idea posted?
    I never seen Flex officially posted that this or that idea is really great and they will implement in the next X version.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    If you really want a new feature then you must aggressively promote your idea in the Flex community and with Flex technical staff. Make some noise Pat !!
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I find good ideas get noticed and you can make all the noise you want while making a fool of yourself but a bad idea is still a bad idea. I'm not judging the re-sizable slice suggestion it does have merit but this really isn't new.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.