Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Single Point of Failure Remote

Answers

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Salvador:
    What kind of range do you get on those devices? It looks like the small antenna on the circuit board may only give very limited range. Yes?
    Tnx de Arnie W8DU
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have not tested the range. But antenas on many wifi usb adapters are not bigger so I would imagine that very similar to other household devices. Also, you are not streaming anything, just sending basic on off commands, so even minimal connectivity would be enough.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Howard, something I'm going to try this winter is to add a digital timer. Then have it turn the power off for a few minutes at 3 in the morning, each and everyday. I still use the Wemo for the 6500. The digital timer will take care of any unexpected power failures. Bill VA3QB
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Curiouser and Curiouser

Flew back to L J tonite...

It was not the UPS.. or the Modem   - IT was the ROUTER.

I did the usual disconnect the router wait 1 minute and repowered it again but it did not work.

Swapped in one of my spare older slower Routers... that worked OK but no longer running 1GB and none of my fixed IP or static routes were there... 

Fortunately I have lots of backups.....as well as up to date..screen shot documentation  ... but it took only a few seconds of slower operations to convince me that I needed a top of the line router..

So I raced to Costco before they closed and picked up a NetGear R7900 (AC3000) Nighthawk,  Why that one.. it was the only one they had.. and Fry's was add an extra hour total.   And Yes I could have had a R8000 from Amazon by t0AM tomorrow.. But I need thinks to run 100% tonite...

As a lark I put back the original failed router into the network..

Lo and Behold after being off for an hour or so, it powered up and everything is working 100%

So what the heck caused the failure???????  

as the power reset did nothing a couple of hours ago

Likely HEAT??

Either way there is no way I can afford to leave a potential single point of failure in my network especially since we will be out of the country until Oct.  so the R7900 will become the primary router.

Long experience has taught me that every disaster has a positive result.  

First:  I now have a Spare Router (the original one)  that is already programmed with my network configurations.  By just simply changing it's IP and primary gateway address I can easily connect it into my system and have access via a second ISP through it...  

I have done that before in commercial systems so I know that it easy to do and works..

Now if I can just get a second vendor's ISP connection installed before I leave I will have a totally redundant system...

Second:  The R7900 Supports OPENVPN so I now will have a second VPN Network connection available...

AND SOME PEOPLE THINK RELIABLE REMOTE OPERATIONS IS EASY!!

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

METHINKS I SPOKE TOO SOON!!!

It turns out that neither the Netgear R7900 or R8000 support the OpenVPN Client for iOS (R7000 does)

So for all intents and purposes both those Netgear Routers are USELESS for SmartSDR for IOS.

Not being one to spend money on obsolete equipment like the R7000 its back to the drawing board for me...

It means a lot more work to load tables but IIRC the ASUS Routers doe support OpenVPN

OTOH my SoftEther VPN has been most reliable but once I got on the redundancy kick it became apparent to that I need a second VPN as well..

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Consider adding a simple SMS switch that you can control by simple text messages. They are fairly inexpensive and come in 4 and 8 port configurations.
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Steve:
    Can you point us to an example of such a SMS switch?
    Tnx de Arnie W8DU
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Nice!!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tnx Mike. Have you used these? I don't think the carriers in the US use GSM. Does one need a cellphone account assigned to this device? 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard, if you aren't obsessive about security, you can use PPTP from your router for iOS. I am hoping that ASUS will someday adopt an implementation of OpenVPN that is compatible with IOS so I can get away from PPTP. Presently I can use OpenVPN with my Windows machines.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In the US, AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.  If you look at the picture on eBay, it shows a picture of a SIM card to be inserted into a slot on the side of the unit.  Yes, it will require a mobile account and phone number (that's how you access it over SMS). A prepaid account would be cheap and easy to use for the few times you need it. Some prepaid accounts charge by the text (AT&T is $0.20 per text). Looks like it's a good solution to operate a relay to do various work remotely utilizing a second means of access.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard, I have seen this behavior with other routers. It fails. A reset or power off/on of several minutes fails to resolve the issue. The router is replaced. The old router is re-installed the next day, and, voila! It works. This has happened to me with consumer grade as well as commercial routers - STRANGE!
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Think long term. That is, several relay controlled outputs, several inputs, and remote temp reading. Don't try saving pennies on a device that can save you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Something like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/200525147857 I usually buy from Ali Express from commercial sellers. Some, but not all of these products make it to eBay.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All this redundancy talk is like commercial aircraft or NASA. You need fall back.  I guess the only real means of assuring continuity when many miles away (halfway around the world for you, Howard, at times) is to install a two complete parallel systems - two ISPs (different technologies), then the two complete strings of routers, switches, PCs, TWO F-6700s, multiple remotable accessories (antennas/switches, towers, etc.), multiple UPSes, and perhaps even multiple commercial power sources (or at least a pad mounted generator with LOTS of fuel). Could get complex AND expensive!
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This is the unit I use to control remotely my entire shack: http://s.aliexpress.com/2uiYJRbU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A second isp, router and switch is about the price of two pair of shoes, right, Howard? But another 6700 and antenna would be expensive.
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    For oddball devices (ie. non-phones) that take a SIM card I've found Ting Mobile to be very friendly to work with here in the U.S. They'll sell you a SIM card which you can activate online and you can recharge your account as needed. I've designed equipment that uses the GSM network for remote control, and Ting works great in this application. Note that they use Sprint's network, so if you don't have Sprint coverage in your area Ting isn't a good choice. Edit- forgot to mention, they DO support GSM devices.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It has got to be Heat related. Letting it totally cool off brought it back
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Redundant Power is NOT an issue here. I am 100% solar but connected to the grid and have a 200AH battery bank dedicated to ham radio AND a Tri-Fuel Generator in case the solar panels get blocked by ASH from Fires and the grid fails As happened in 2003 and 2007.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    6700. = about 10-15 pairs of shoes
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Great suggestions guys
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lol! Couldn't resist, Howard!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I like Winston setup.
    You can use a duplicate SIM card and have your own cell phone data plan be the one that offers 4G internet redundancy. The idea of the fall back internet for me is to make sure everything works until internet is restored or to be able to easily troubleshoot from inside the network a failing internet router.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What ASUS router do you uses?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Which routers support OPENVPN via iOS clients?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am partial to the new TP-Link Archer series. The C9 is a very solid performer and you can flash DD-WRT which will allow you to install and modify the router to your hearts content. I like price, Gigabit ports, great WiFi performance both 4g and 5g and 12v power.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=twister_B01KAH1C5Y?_encoding=UTF8

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RT-AC66U. I can get OpenVPN for the Windows machine, but it doesn't work for SSDR-iOS. IOS won't do TUN format with the version of OpenVPN that my ASUS has. For iOS I need to use PPTP. The good thing is that a recent firmware update now allows me to use both PPTP and OpenVPN at the same time without going in the back door and switching VPN modes on the router. I haven't gotten around to putting SoftEther on my Raspberry Pi III to do l2TP/IPSec yet. If only I could get SoftEther to run as an add on I the ASUS router. Better yet, if the ASUS router could do native L2TP/IPSec . I would gladly sacrifice PPTP in exchange for that! One caveat. Some Maestro users have reports som throughput problems when running Maestro through the 5G wireless on some ASUS routers. I don't have a way to test that.....yet.
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Paul:

Do you have a manufacturer(s), p/n, nomenclature for the used shelter?  That is a great setup.

Reg
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Reg, It was manufactured by Rohn for Sprint/Nextel. I've got the model number on my server and will look tonight. It's the perfect size for this application and not too big where heating/cooling is wasted on more space than we need. Typically, these can be purchased fully loaded for USD $5K -$10K. Even a 200 amp weatherproof panel is included. Simply run the utility meter to the input and you're done. The entire site will be taken down and moved a 1/2 mile down the road. New construction starts in October. The new site will be even better and give us more room for 160m. Paul, W9AC.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.