Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Since v1.3 I am now see ATTN on the screen just like PRE?

Steve Walker
Steve Walker Member
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Since v1.3 I have noticed on my 6300 at times I get to see ATTN on the screen when tuning about - I thought the 6300 only had a pre-amp?

Random times when in the LF areas of HF.

Picture as always!

No traceable steps - just appears when it feels like it.

73 Steve

Answers

• Robert Allbright
    Robert Allbright Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I have installed 1.3 successfully and don't see any of the numerous reported problems since 1.3 was released!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Steve,
    See this from the Software manual......page 85. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    Wow thank you - never saw that bit - strange I've never seen it before.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You'll find that on 40 Meters, that you'll get an ellipsis ( ... ) where it is neither Attenuated or Preamplified. 20 Meters and up you get different levels of preamplification.  On 6 Meters...oh my gosh, the pre-amp is pure sorcery.  

When 80 Meters, the Attenuator is in play when the RF Gain selector is moved to the right.  Last night, I played on 80 Meters for a while and the attenuator became very helpful.  It even helped tame some of the static crashes, not to mention some of the "good ol' boys' running legal limit to talk across town.  

All in all, many thanks to the FRS engineering team for a job well done.  I love my 6300.
  • Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes; I am very impressed and now have seen the ...'s whilst playing - it is very odd that I had not seen them pre 1.3 and the the manual may show this very useful feature I think the flyers might need a slight tweak to the wording :-)

73 Steve

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    To clear up the confusion on this, let me explain how the preamp works.  In a radio with a single receiver, you can decide to use the preamp on 6m and not use it on 40m.  In the FLEX-6300, you have the option of listening to two bands at the same time.  If you choose 6 and 40, you really want the preamp on for 6 and the attenuator on for 40 for almost all band conditions.  Since there is a single SCU in the radio, you have to decide whether you want the preamp on or off.  So to accommodate listening to 6 and 40 at the same time, the preamp has slope to it that provides gain on the high end of the spectrum and attenuation on the low end.  So the panadapter reads out the effect of the preamp on the band you are on.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    What you have provided is even better Steve!   Built in intelligence. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.