Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Signalink USB Tigertronics interface

Rick Zach K1RJZ
Rick Zach K1RJZ Member ✭✭
I've seen a few community references to the Tigertronics Signalink-USB sound card interface but they are a few years old. Any updates if Tigertronics makes the pre-made cable and header for the 6000 series? I saw nothing on their website. Thanks.

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You know you really don't need this? This is what DAX gets you. Mike va3mw
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Rick, my question would be as to why you would want to use an external sound card when the 6000 family has Digital Audio eXchange (DAX) which is standard with SmartSDR.  

Watch this video to see how DAX works and how to configure it to work with your favorite digital mode software (FlDigi, DM780, MultiPSK, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcb5QGoo_Nc

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rick the other guys above are right the interface your asking about is a thing of the past when it comes to a Flex 6000 series Radio. Ian
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It does have some advantages for remote operations over DAX.  Your equalizer would work, DAX would not burst into noise on occasion and you could record someone and play it back.

• Rick Zach K1RJZ
    Rick Zach K1RJZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OK, thank you all. I originally thought that DAX had something to do with it, then I saw a few community threads and even FRS written documentation references to the Signalink-USB. So then I became very confused. I like the idea of DAX-only a lot better. KISS! Thank you again!
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Using any physical sound card (including SignaLink) instead of DAX also has some distinct disadvantages too...namely approximately a 6DB disadvantage in intelligence caused by the Digital to Analog conversion.  This loss is especially significant on low signal digital modes such as JT65 etc.

IMO, the simplicity of using DAX outweigh any possible disadvantages.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I use a Signalink USB with my 6500. Mostly because my computer is a Mac, and I do my digital decoding there. No Mac DAX client is available (as far as I know - that would be the ultimate!!). The only thing running in my Windows VM is SSDR. The pre-made cable for Yaesu (8 pin Foster connector) works just fine. The Signalink is easy to configure with jumpers - I haven't even looked for a pre-made header. You could build one yourself pretty easily.

If you choose to use the Signalink, do some checking on line for the various modifications that clean up the audio response. Particularly good are the mods to provide a better voltage source internally (one resistor is all you need) and advice to use metallic tape and a ground wire to better shield the unit. Both help a LOT. (link at bottom, transmit image attached)

Some time ago, I tested the Signalink vs DAX "head to head" as best I could. They both work very well. You won't be disappointed. Of course, if you can use DAX, it is the way to go for flexibility. Multiple channels and it frees up the mic and phones jacks...

Link: http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/images/Wireless%20Article%20-%20Signalink%20USB%20Mods%20v7.p...image
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In version 1.4 we added the ability to use the EQ with DAX in all modes except DIGU, DIGL, and DFM.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Several months ago we tested a signallink vs DAX. DAX won by 6 dB onJT65 decodes.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Interesting - what was the methodology? 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Since I no longer own a Legacy Radio at my house (we still have several at the NX6T Contest Station i used the 6700 as the radio.  It also had the benefit of normalizing the results.

Signalink
    1.  Connected the Signalink to the speaker output of the Flex 6700
    2.  Connected the Signalink USB to the computer
    3.  The Signalink provided Sound card input to WSJT

1.  Connected DAX in Software directly to WSJT

Used 1 slice for the Signalink and the second slice for DAX

Both slices listen to 14.076 set to 4K bandwidth

We did no transmit tests..

DAX consistently heard signals -6 dB lower than the Signalink could hear.
    After about an hour, packed it up and returned the Signalink to NX6T. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.