Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sideways Display

Neil D Friedman N3DF
Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
My 6600M and external monitor turn on sideways (writing is up and down) when the HDMI connector is plugged into the back of the radio.  The 6600M and external display are fine when the HDMI connector is plugged in after the radio is turned on.  Thoughts?

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Flex is now working on this since it has been reported.
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Same thing here. If I turn 6600M on with external monitor connected, the 6600M display is sideways on both the radio and the monitor. If I plug the external monitor in after the 6600M startup all is fine. Tom NA7AA
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Flex is working on this as it has been reported
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2018
    Mine started out the same way. I tried 3 different monitors before I found one that worked after the radio booted up and plugging in the monitor. Finally, after doing the bootup, plug in etc. several times, I found that I could leave the monitor plugged into the radio. And with the monitor in Sleep Mode, (not powered off) I can reboot the radio and at first, the displays ( mostly the monitor) would start off sideways, but, quickly both would right themselves. I've done this numerous times now. And it continues to work as described.

I think, the intel software in the tablet display, needs to see the external monitor one or more times, to know to check for it and send the mirrored display to both the radio's display and an external monitor.

Good luck. FRS should be able to fix this with an update at some point.

James

WD5GWY
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Yes, we are aware of this and it is being tracked.  

Mike

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    James, oddly enough the first 6600m worked on my 49" monitor with no issues. However the replacement 6600m does not work at all.  I cant leave it plugged in.

Rich

• James Whiteway
    edited March 2018
    That really is weird. It has to be an issue with the intel software.
  • Jim-KB1ZNV
    Jim-KB1ZNV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Just got my 6600M up and running and did not experience the sideways problem on my 2nd monitor (Dell 3011 30") running on a Mac Pro while the HDMI was plugged in while starting the radio.  However the first Flexradio Logo startup screen was temporarily side ways before the connect screen appeared. I use the 2nd monitor for work on my Mac Pro and when running Windows 10 and just switch the input source on the monitor back and forth from DisplayPort to HDMI with no problem. Just wanted to let you all know for any potential bug fixes.  Love the radio so far. Nice work.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Maybe my messing around with the Intel control panel before plugging it in last time.  Right now its hard to connect in my shelf setup so not going to mess with it. Just wait for flex to fix it.  Its not an option I am sure I will use anyway.  If I wanted it on the big display I think I would just rather run SSDR.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    edited March 2018
    Helpdesk recommendation is to continue unplugging HDMI before starting 6600M and plugging in after starting.  I think I will put an A-B switch in the HDMI line to make this a little less annoying.  
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    An HDMI switch does NOT solve the issue as long as there is an HDMI cable attached to the flex when it boots regardless of what switch position is set at the flex screen comes up sideways, at least that's what I experienced with the 6400M YMMV.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would think a switch should work so surprised its not.

I was able to get mine to work after plugging the cable afterwards and going in and mucking around in the intel display adapter settings. I have no idea what fixed it but once I went in and saved settings it worked.

• NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I tried a switch as well. Your right it didn’t work on my 6600M as well. I have a 4 port switch and an On Off button No good! Tom NA7AA
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    edited March 2018
    My AB switch works as long as the one connector side is connected to the radio and the two connector side has one connector connected to the monitor and the other unconnected to anything.  I turn on the radio with the switch to the unconnected side and then move it to the connected side once the picture stabilizes on the front of the radio.
  • Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Did this problem ever get resolved?  I received my new 6600M yesterday and experiencing the same problem.  If I have the monitor plugged in when I start the radio, everything comes up sideways.  If I start the radio without the external monitor plugged in, it comes up fine.  I can then plug in the external monitor and all if fine until the next time I restart the radio.  Kind of an awkward work around.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I think this was looked after in the release coming soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2018
    HOW SOON ?????
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2018
    No time frame given. But, I'd almost bet sometime around Hamvention.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Its a built in feature that allows you to stand the rig on its side giving it a narrower footprint so it dont take up so much horizontal desk space. But now with it on its side when i tap the menu button the menu dont come up ... hmmm .... extra features are not always good .. hihi
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    A bigger question would be why this was not identified during testing by all the testing people you cant tell me that those testers never tested it with an external monitor .... enough said.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    This issue has been addressed in the upcoming SmartSDR v2.2 release.  It will be released when it has achieved a quality level that makes it ready for general release, not before.

• 6600M on 2.7.6 still does this

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

If this still happens on 2.7.6, please open a support ticket.

This is the first we have heard of this I believe.

• Yes sir will do

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.