Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Shutting down produces a steady orange light

Mike NN9DD
Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Here is a new one I have not read about. I went to shut down the readio just to see if there was a delay, and there really was not. What did happen is that after shutting down the led next to the button went orange. The manual indicates transmiting to the transverter low power. it is happen now each of the three times I shut down. Anyone else or any ideas. All seems to function properly just a power down issue I Mike N9DFD

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Do you have a GPSDO installed in the radio?
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, I do not have gps installed tonight when I powered down the radio I behaved as normal although 5 power downs in a row it did not. It did give an error message about power supply when I shut that down Mike N9DFD
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Mike - thanks for the update.  Sounds like the radio was in a state where it may have thought you had a GPSDO installed when you did not.  When there is a GPSDO installed in a radio and you power it down, the GPS stays in a initialized state so that it will lock faster on the sats when the radio is powered up.  I suspect that after the upgrade, one of the reboots cleared up the radio's confusion about the GPSDO install state and now the power LEDs are showing the proper indicator lights.

When you power off the radio, there is a subsystem (called PSoC) that is still running, monitoring the environmental and physical state of the radio.  As an example, the PSoC is the subsystem that realizes you have pushed the front power button and instructs the other processors to initialize or shutdown depending on the run state of the radio.  

When the radio is in a shut down state, the PSOC is constantly monitoring the internal voltage rails.  When you shut down the power supply and the voltage falls below 9.5 VDC (the minimum operating voltage on receive), PSoC throws and error indicating that the input voltage has fallen below the minimum.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hi Tim, I am also having problems with shutdown of the radio. I have the GPSDO installed and running. The radio, randomly, will not shut down, and requires me to power down the PS in order to crash the radio. This is the only way to correct this situation. If I wait long it can and not always, the radio shuts down and will give a repeating thumping sound via the speaker output. Only way to clear this is to shut down the PS to remove power from the radio. Does not seem to be related to shutting down SmartSDR. As I shut down the radio after power down of the computer.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Tim,

I have had similar problems.

I had no GPSDO holdover (and slow shutdown).

Uninstalling and reinstalling the GPSDO fixed that.

Then I had the pulsing after shut down. Removing power momentarily  fixed that.

Now the GPSDO holds over with the orange light, no pulsing and shut down is faster.

Andrew VK5CV

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I have had the Radio long enough now to now have a good idea how often this bad shutdown event happens.  I would say that it happens 1 out of 3 shutdowns. I have in time learned to wait for the shutdown to happen.  When it does a bad shutdown it will take a minute or 2 to shut the radio down.  What is left over is sound from the speaker, sort of a thump thump thump sound that is continuous.  Only way to clear it is to shut the PS down and restart the radio.  This cleans it up and then I can do a clean shutdown.  This is the only problem I have.  Any other issues are all related to how the software is currently written. 

Pat  WR1Z

• wg c
    wg c Member
    edited November 2017
    I get the yellow light too. (orange I guess is more accurate).  It remains on until I shut off the 12 vdc power supply. No GPS.  Is this a problem?  No transverter either.  
    73, Bill
    AH6FC/7
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited July 2015
    same here
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    First off, it should not be a problem operationally.  I suspect there is a bit flipped to tells the PSoC processor that there is a GPS installed when there isn't one.  This should not affect the radio since the main ARM processor is responsible for finding and using one of the several possible master clock sources available to the radio.

However, if after powering up your radio you hear a relay click every couple of seconds that continues until you power down your radio, then you need to submit a HelpDesk support ticket ASAP.

Second, please try this.  With the radio connected to SmartSDR (receiving signals), open the Settings->Radio Setup menu option and click on the GPS tab.  Click on the Uninstall button.  Then shut down SmartSDR and power off the radio.  Disconnect the DC power cable (or turn off the power supply) for about 20-30 seconds.  Reconnect power.  The power LED on the radio should momentarily flash green and then stay off until you push the power button on the radio.

If the power LED is illuminated orange after this procedure, let me know so I can write up a defect report.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I had this problem also. I found that if I disabled the "Remote on" under the radio tab in radio setup the light would not stay on when I turned the radio off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.