Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Shutting Power to the FLEX-6400 from my Astron

Options
K5BGP
K5BGP Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Coming from a Kenwood TS-590S where I could just flip the switch on the Astron and **** power to the radio... can I do the same thing with my FLEX-6400? Or do I need to do a "proper" shutdown by pressing the green power icon on the radio?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Applying or removing voltage from the power supply is generally not preferred for any electronics, due to the risk of a quick inrush on startup, or undervoltage effects on shutdown. Some rigs keep some circuits running, even while off. That said, you -can- shut down from the power supply, but the TCXO won’t maintain accuracy, and the rig will throw an error message. Normally, not serious issues, but worth avoiding if you can. Power down like you would your PC or other expensive digital electronics. 
  • Steve Blankinship AG4SO
    Steve Blankinship AG4SO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Turning off the primary power on the FLEX without an orderly shutdown I/E the ICON power button can cause some issues with memory, and as George stated the TCXO will have to stabilize each time you turn the radio on.
    If you have the GPS option as do I stand by mode keeps it turned on and accuracy maintained. Otherwise frequency accuracy is not maintained until it has stabilized and locked back on to the birds, this takes about ten minuets from a cold start.
    In my case my 6400 is remotely located on a mountain top repeater site I float the power supply across a battery first as a power back up second as a spike filter. I use the remote on jack to turn it on and standby with a Micro bit web switch. If your worried about power surges I would also suggest a whole house surge arrester that can be installed by an licensed electrician. I have one at home and the remote site. Hope this helps 
    Steve AG4SO
  • K5BGP
    K5BGP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It mirrors what I suspected. Honestly, I haven't shut the radio off in at least a week, and would like to keep it powered up (that's the point of SDR -- operate anywhere).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.