Show Us Your FlexRadio In Your Shack

• Praise
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)

I thought it might
be fun to have us Flex users show a picture of their FlexRadio in their shack.

Here is my 6600M in my shack. It's in the rack on the left.

Photo of John-KC2QMA

John-KC2QMA

• 40 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Irvin Emmons

Irvin Emmons

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
My FLEX-6600M HAM shack.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Hawkins NG0G

Stephen Hawkins NG0G

• 94 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I tried for quite some time with different camera settings to get a photo of my station that I was happy with.  A visiting friend took this one with his iPhone  and I like it a lot.
(Edited)
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 679 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
Looking Good!

Stephen Hawkins NG0G

• 94 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Thanks I'm pleased with the way it came out.  I watched your Amp video.  I need to replace the LEDs in the meters on in my AL-80B.  One has started to go dim.  I may hunt up some LED strips.  Where did you get the stick on sound deadening material?
Photo of Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

• 79 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Not much to see with mine. Just computer, mic & key. 6400 is in rack cabinet in basement.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

My most recent setup.  The shelving is sitting on an adjustable height desk which makes it easy to adjust the keyboard height etc.

I still need to work on cleaning up the nest of wires laying on the floor.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 685 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Very clean and functional setup!
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thank you John.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 361 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
I mean talk about a thing of beauty!!! But I like mine to be well organized and functional!! LOL

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1274 Posts
  • 479 Reply Likes
Kinda looks like my workbench at times... sigh.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1663 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Who's that stranger sitting in my Shack?

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
           Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 685 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes

He has that look on his face like "I wonder where my RFI problem is coming from" ;)

Photo of Dave - N6XVZ

Dave - N6XVZ

• 46 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Rich - nice clean setup - love it.  What size monitor and what resolution do you like to run?
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thank you Dave,

It's a Dell 34" curved monitor (u3415W).  I'm using an NUC I7 and the resolution is set at 3440 x 1440.  I bought it on line during a black Friday sale last year.  Next week will be a good week to look for pc's and monitors.

I had a pair of 29" wide screen monitors stacked horizontally.  While I could use a bit more monitor real estate, I can get just about all of the apps I'm interested in open on the 34" monitor.

The important part, to me anyways, is looking slightly down at the monitor, vs looking straight ahead or up.  It makes things much more comfortable during long Flex sessions like a contest.  My neck appreciates it, hi. If I look straight ahead I'm looking at just slightly below the top of the monitor.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 489 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes

Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Finally cleaned the shack to be somewhat presentable. Behind me are three additional tables for the Collins S-line, Drake C-line, and my vintage Collins station and R390A. And to my left is a laboratory of spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, and signal generators. Retired electronics engineer/packrat .. 

W7NGA
Seaside, Oregon

Stephen Hawkins NG0G

• 94 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Gorgeous.  I spent much of 1968 and parts of 1969 with my headphones plugged into an R-390.  12 on 12 off.  I love those radios.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
My wife asked me why so many displays. Why are you doing this she asks?
W7NGA: 'Because I can ...'
seems reasonable to me!

(Edited)
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1650 Posts
  • 600 Reply Likes
Remote shack. Keeps me connected at work!
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 82 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Flex 6700 in the lower right corner in the Flex6700/KAT500/KPA500 stack.

Photo of sky

sky

• 47 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 306 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Classic. Love it!
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 685 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes

Hey Guess What... The new 2019 FlexRadio Calendar is out now for only $12 Free Shipping!

The 2019 FlexRadio calendar is filled with awesome photos from Flex customers showing us how they Flex! 

You can get the Calendar here: 2019 FlexRadio Calendar

Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1340 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
LoL!
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

6300 dead on the floor - two fan failures at just under 3 years old.  I daresay that under European consumer legislation I could have some comeback against the supplier (but not the manufacturer) but, quite frankly, it's less hassle to buy replacement fans myself and get it running again.

Just very surprised that Flex, while seemingly admitting that the original fans didn't really meet their quality expectations, are quite happy to let their customers foot the bill for their quality assurance failures.

I would have expected a company with their reputation to be falling over themselves to resolve the fan issue, but it dosen't seem that this is the way they think.
Photo of Matt (K0KB)

Matt (K0KB)

• 118 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
My experience with fan failures is that yours made it an extraordinarily long time at 2 in 3.  Congratulations and condolences!
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
For about the last eighteen months I left the 6300 powered up 24/7 (it is a "server" after all) and sometimes wonder whether that was wise.

Anyhow, my PC is twice the age and has been running non-stop with zero CPU fan failures.  To have two identical fans fail simultaneously is another indication that the component is not fit for purpose (which happens to be the criterion that consumer protection law is based upon in Europe).

Had the unit been maybe a few months out of warranty I would certainly have pursued the legal angle further.

As it is, I am just extremely disappointed that Flex seem to refuse to man-up and accept some responsibility.  I believe that they even fitted the known unsuitable fans under warranty until they ran out of stock!  Presumably so that the (inevitable?) failure further down the line would be outside their guarantee period.

Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 505 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
My experience, both with electronics and electro-mechanical devices and mechanical devices has always been that the states of change, either starting up, changing speed or current, or shutting down are by far the highest chances of failure.

As a flight instructor for many years of my life and airline pilot for a short time we always taught students and ingrained in ourselves that the most likely time of an engine failure is that time of stress and change.

Airplane engines are under some stress anytime they are producing power.  This includes idle.  Obviously the most stress is at METO or full power.   The four engine failures I had all occurred in two specific places:

1) The point of reducing power after take off
2) The point of reducing power approaching to land.

Three of my failures occurred in #1 which is the worst possible case.  One failure occurred in #2.  However because I had always expected failures during these periods I was prepared for them.

Two of the failures that occurred in #1 were luckily at airports with really long runways so I just put it back down on the same runway.  I ALWAYS demanded full length for take off.  The other was in a Beech Kingaire 200B turbo-prop and we had plenty of power to continue the climb on one engine and return to the airport.

The failure during #2 was almost laughable.  I had planned my landing so I would never need more power, so the loss of power was just fine.  Glided in with no issue and even managed to coast off the active runway onto a taxiway.  This was actually in a Piper Navajo that doesn't fly well at all on one engine so I reduced the good engine to idle and just landed.

In my electronics days the vast majority of failures occur on current inrush.  Some on shutdown and some while running and usually those are heat related.   

Fans I treat just like plane propellers.  The most likely time to have a failure is when it first spins up.  During that time the bearings are cold and can often get messed up.

So I leave most electronic and equipment on 24/7 when I can.  

Mark - WS7M
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3747 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Steve, you must have missed this? Flex Radio has secured a new heat sink and fan combos for the 6300, 6500, 6700 radios.

And do you know as a fact they repaired radios with  unsuitable fans?
(Edited)
Photo of Don Cunningham

Don Cunningham

• 36 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Bill,
Am I right from my reading that these new fans/heat sink should be done at Flex, not in the field due to the heat sink being changed?  I have a "new to me" 6300 and will likely need to know one day.
Don, WB5HAK
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3747 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
It is strongly recommended to send it to Flex because of the heat sinks. You need to take great care to remove the old ones and they are stuck on really good.
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Indeed, they say that the new fan/heatsink combination should only be installed by their workshop. At what would seem to be full cost for parts and labour charged to the customer, which is my gripe.

As for continuing fitting of original short-life part, that was from a comment direct from Flex on this forum. Basically saying the old stock would be used before they started fitting the new design.
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Indeed, they say that the new fan/heatsink combination should only be installed by their workshop. At what would seem to be full cost for parts and labour charged to the customer, which is my gripe.

As for continuing fitting of original short-life part, that was from a comment direct from Flex on this forum. Basically saying the old stock would be used before they started fitting the new design.
Photo of Don Cunningham

Don Cunningham

• 36 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Thanks, Bill.  I thought I read that last month when I first got the 6300, but wanted to confirm it.  
Don
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 361 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Finally had some time to take some pictures of the shack!  Robert

Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 361 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
One More Picture,, Robert