Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Shielded Ethernet Cable

Dave
Dave Member ✭✭
Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of shielded Ethernet cables?

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Highly recommended.  I'm just switching over to them now -- just in case there's some RF floating around the shack.  Also, make sure the cables are CAT6/6A.
  • Frank
    Frank Member
    edited February 2019
    I replaced all my cat 5 cables with shielded cat 7 and a switch that also had metal grounded connectors.  I verified continuity between radio and computer chassis.  Since then, I find that my computer does not freeze up due to suspected extraneous rf as it did before.  I tried to keep the runs as short as possible.  I would highly recommend it.

Frank N5SSH

• kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Always. I use nothing but CAT 6 or 7 shielded cables. My Ubuquiti Unifi switches are all PoE and in metal. Agree with Frank - use shortest cable possible.
  • KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Makes all the difference at my very QRO commercial broadcast sites. Better data integrity all around.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hello Dave,

I’m planning to pull around 150 feet of Ethernet cabling in my condo building (from the roof to the club room) and was thinking about this too. I think most folks would have used Cat5e for home installs in the past but are moving to higher grade cable now — since I’m running such a long run through my building I’ve decided to use Cat7 shielded cable .

Here are some information links I have found helpful:
    https://www.axis.com/files/whitepaper...
    https://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-the-...
    https://www.belden.com/blog/smart-bui...

This is the product I plan to purchase:
    https://infinity-cable-products.com/p...

And a good conversation thread on Redit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio...
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I used shielded in industrial applications...in fact it was a requirement..but they need a path to ground thus the receptacle is designed to ground the shield. I don’t believe most home devices are designed to ground a shield.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Absolutely. I had RF messing with my network on 75 meters. My station is on the second floor and router on main floor. Pulled a new run of shielded, grounded at station end, and problem solved.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I hate to be the contrarian here (well, I usually am) but I have seen where this can really cause problems. When I was working at Flex, we had a case where a customer could not successfully connect and get his radio registered because there was interference appearing on the shield and causing lousy service quality. It might be purely an issue of cable quality but its not necessarily a great idea.

I honestly think going optical is a much better solution to rf/noise plus it gives you the peace of mind that lightning charges will not traverse your lan (as it did for me 2 years ago and blew everything not only connected but  near the cable).
  • Wayne Schonfeld
    Wayne Schonfeld Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I recall Flex recommended against using shielded cables because of ground loops.  I would like FRS to reply to this in case the situation has changed their mind over time.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
       Very much agree.  NN4ZZ has posted fiber optic configurations here.  It is not
    as expensive as you might think.  I've been zapped twice by lightning. Some
    suppressors were in place, but both times took out network cards.  Radios and
    routers were spared, however.  With ethernet going everywhere and often to
    some very costly equipment, fiber should be a serious consideration.

Ned,  K1NJ

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You can find Ethernet to Fiber Converter Pairs Rated 10/100 with Two power Supplies all for $19 to $22 on EBay Works great with my Flex6600M Lightning Protection dirt cheap No excuses not to do it These are Plug and Play just add A Fiber Cable and you on you way ! 73 Mike Search for this on eBay 1Pair 10/100M light RJ45 Ethernet to Fiber Optic Media Converter Singlemode 25KM
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
     Thanks for all the input... I thought of just going fiber, true isolation!!!!  I did pick up some DX engineering ethernet isolation / supression devices....I think they are a newer product, they seem to have good reviews

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Is this the kind of product at DX Engineering you mean? https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That's what I plan on doing. I only need a 10/100/1000 media converter for upstairs,, a cable, a pair of sfp + transceivers and done. My router already has a sfp + port.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Can't speak for every other issue in regards to shielded Ethernet cable, but it worked for me. With a legal limit amp on, I could make the laser clip on the node that serves my neighborhood. That's three quarters of a mile away. RF would make it all the way back to the modem and ride the hard line back to their converter. I almost couldn't believe it until the regional comcast supervisor showed me the spectrum display for the laser on his laptop. Could key up and see the spikes in real time.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    In the process, they found a few bad hardline connections they repaired also.
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    ;Yes that is what I ordered.  Seem to have good reviews from the few I could find.. Was also talked about in Ham Nation https://twit.tv/shows/ham-nation/episodes/386
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Mike, are you seeing any birdies coming from the power supplies on those very inexpensive  (<$20) Ethernet to fiber converters on eBay?  At that price point, it hard to imagine how those wall warts are not RF emitters at some frequencies.  I use fiber for the 100 foot run from network entry point to the shack and then Ethernet for the short runs around the shack.  The DXEngineering devices look very promising where Ethernet is a requirement.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You can also pickup one or more HP Procurve 2524 24 port switches and if you look around you can get them with one or two Gigabit fiber links installed for less than $25.  One of these with a media converter or two will give you fiber.  I did my entire LAN with fiber for less than $100.  The HP power supplies are clean.  I also did not see any birdies on HF from the media converter supplies.
    The one thing you should keep in mind is the HP switches are commerical grade and thus you might find the fan noise too high for a home desktop install.  My Flex is in a unfinished room in the basement so noise is not a issue for me.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ethernet switches with X/SFP sockets in them, plus the X/SFP modules themselves, are becoming very inexpensive. This is often a better choice than using a converter. Have a main switch for the house Ethernet, plug in an X/SFP for LC connector fibre, then run as much as you need to a smaller 4-or-8-port switch in your shack, also with X/SFP socket.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I also use shielded with one note.  Connect one end normally to your switch (metallic shield to metallic switch connection, BUT put a non shielded double female near the other end with a short jumper to finish the connection. 
    This will prevent ground loops yet still shield the cable.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    A double female connector is usually considered bad form, and should be avoided, especially if you are running long runs of cable or Gigabit speeds (or higher :-). Much better to simply use a non-grounding RJ45 connector on the radio end.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    On long runs like that, you might consider going fiber.

Jim, K6QE
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Ted, I agree about the double female but that is the fastest way to unshield one end.  My preference, when using pre-assembled cables is to get one that is long enough for making two cables, cut at a split point, then add a non-shielded connector to each.
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Wow thanks for the input everyone.  Went to shielded ... Will probably use fiber at some point! 

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited March 2019
    No birdies from what I can tell FYI, just ordered A pair of DXE Ethernet RFI Filters Know Fact to much Power on Tx Can play havoc on 75meters into Ethernet Cable On on the Flex 73 Mike
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited March 2019
    Dave Did the same after Tx with QRO on 75meters Can drive the 6600m screen crazy here !!! Added a pair of DXE RFI Ethernet Filters to take care of this Mike
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Especially when your run of Ethernet cable is about a quarter wavelength on 75. LOL
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited March 2019
    Got the DX Engineering Ethernet RFI Filters today My Noise Floor drop significantly on 6meters with pair between my 6600m and Router also a pair on my Ethernet to Fiber Media units clean up my Radio Well from carrier birdies Think most Birdies where From 6600m to Router, the Media Ethernet to Fiber Units were clean to begin with no birdies observed there Can use QRO on 75meters with no glitches No RFI affecting the Remote Station Would say adding the DX Engineering Ethernet Filters to the Station was money well spent ! Hope this helps someone out there ! 73 Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.