Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sharing knowledge with new owners.

Dale KB5VE
Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
Having worked with many new to the sdr radio over the years I believe much of the bewildered attitude can be overcome with one on one sharing of knowledge and ideas. The 6700 is one of the easiest sdr radios to get on the air but then what do you do with it. I have had the privilege to help some new 6500 owners and in doing so I myself have learned more. My suggestion is a mentor program where we use our hobby to help others to enjoy all the great features now and to come. Setting up audio, knowing how to use Agc threshold, customer filter building and the different means to reject arm. These are but a few. I myself have always found hands on operation with a guiding hand to move me in the right direction was the best way for me to learn. Like a lot of activities there are support groups. Maybe we using the flex radios could help others new to the radio with our knowledge and at the same time developope new friendships. I did that just last night helping a new owner test drive his 6500. Just wanted to bounce this off the wall. Three are three of us 6500 owners who meet most nights at 3.720 plus 5 if necessary. Feel free to join us and help explore the new coming releases. Just a idea to form mentors and sharing groupes on the air.

Comments

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Dale, I will try to check in 3.720. At what time is the group gathering? Like you, I like your idea and I try to share as much as I have to contribute.
  • Warren Elly
    Warren Elly Member
    edited March 2017
    I could use all the help I can get with my new 6500... I'm doing ok... but boy, after 50 years of hamming what a learning curve... audio set up is a big item.... and I'm still confused about what works and what doesn't.. ALC for example, which I believe is NOT working yet... 73, Warren...I'll also be looking for help on 3720 in the evenings... isn't there also a net on Sunday????
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Software ALC is fully operational hardware ALC for amplifiers will be in the next version of SmartSDR. Blame this confusion on historical redundant nomenclature.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Well, this is the entire intent and purpose of the Community; to share just the information you are talking about with fellow Flexers. If you do it over the air, (1) the information is only available to those station who have propagation to hear you and (2) it can not be shared afterwards with other people as the transmissions are racing out of the solar system at the speed of light.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Tim the community is great but some of the people I have touched needed the help of a peer who can show them what happens when they move the eq in a certain way. And tell them when the eq is set correctly. Remember the purpose of this radio is to communicate. Some do not understand what the transmit band with adjustment will do to audio. The fact is some people buy the sdr product and they are intimidated when the help of a fellow ham will help do away with this problem. A new flexer setting his radio up with a troupe of knob radio guys telling him it is a waste of time that the sdr is overrated can cause that person to feel he made a mistake. Take my word I have seen it happen. I do not see this taking away from the community idea but allowing the knowledge shared here to be put to use on the air where it should be.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    We get on most evenings at about 8:00 pm central time. Sometimes there is a groupe there so we start moving up 3kcs at a time. I will say that I am a huge Alabama football fan and we play this evening so I might not be there. K5ux and wd5y are regulars. I know I will be on Sunday evening. A email to me anytime and we can set a schedule and share knowledge. Same goes to anyone. Had a new 6500 owner on last knight and I can assure you we saved him a lot of time in setting up his rig and shared some of the shortcuts we have learned. 73 Dale
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I agree with Dale, I was that 6500 owner he spoke about. I've been an active DXer/contester since 1959, have owned an SDR-1000 and SDR-5000, have a closet full of pro-audio gear, survived the 14.178 ESSB group, and still benefited from an on-air interaction with a 6500 owner who knew how to get things going quickly. As Dale said, there are a few anti-SDR guys out there that seem to enjoy discouraging new SDR owners. So an on-air, peer-to-peer QSO is a good way to get new owners started out and sounding good. Speaking of "knobs"......I love knobs too, for certain contesting functions, but even that will be feasible given the "Flex" ability of this radio. I predict there will be a eventual convergence of the "knob" guys with the "mouse" guys as this radio matures. Why make one group happy when you can make both groups happy. $(knob guys) + $(mouse guys) = 2$ ...for the bean counters. I expect that the day is coming when the after-market guys will be happy to sell you a user-defined encoder/knob interface panel that will satisfy even the most battle-hardened touchy-feely guys like me. In the meantime, the technology underneath the hood of these 6500/6700 radios will continue to advance the high end of amateur radio performance. The existing limitations that keep the 6500/6700 from being used in a serious contest environment are on the Flex roadmap for resolution. The calvary is on the way.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I sympathize with the ideas about knobs. However, many of us don't want them. Here is another knob, beside the Flex Control; that you can use with the Flex radios. http://www.woodboxradio.com/shop.html However, make sure you have a sack full of Euros. Check the sticker price!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: Knobs vs. Mice

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.