Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sharing my Flex-6500 using Smart SDR v3.0.19

Richard Adkins
Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Once I've paid for the upgrade, how does my friend in a horrid HOA access my radio? Does he have to purchase SmartSDR v3.0.19 as well? Do I give him my SmartLink login info?

Answers

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    He does not have to purchase it, but you have to give him
    your log-in info.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thank you!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You give him your credit card number, Pin number to your ATM and 3 digit security code, and he will be set to go!!!! :-)

Robert
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Cute, not.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think you can also create a second SmartLink account and link it to your radio.  Then give your friend that second SmartLink account info to connect to your radio. 
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    We need a nice simple 5 minute video clip showing how to set this up with a minimum of angst...
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I believe someone is working on a video ?
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This is a feature ripe for being at the top of an FAQ.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    But to your question, it's simple. Your freind will need a good internet connection, they do not have to be using V3, all you do is give them your log in info to connect to you.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I'm surprised it isn't ready for release at the same time as the software since it is a key feature of V3...
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have to wonder if there is a certain risk in allowing someone to remotely use your radio. What happens if they operate illegally in some manner? As the owner of the radio are you responsible for their actions?

What if they do something to damage your radio or amp? Let's say they keep transmitting on ANT2 but you don't have an antenna set up for ANT2 or they somehow leave it in a keyed mode for an extended period of time.

With the money I have invested in my station I would never allow anyone else to operate it especially when they are located somewhere else.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I understand and share your concerns. In my case, there is only one person that I have in mind to share my radio with and we've been friends for over 40 years. He's a licensed ham with a radio of his own but, it ain't a Flex! 
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    And if he somehow damages your radio and/or your amp will you still be friends? Who would cover the cost of repair or replacement?
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    As long as I can watch the other Ham using my FLEX on my screen, and I can change the Password quickly and easily, I don't have any concern at all.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    There are videos on setting up SmartLink already:
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So you would only allow a remote op to use your radio when you are there? How do you know if they're using it while your not monitoring it (asleep, dining, driving, etc.?)
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    So, this is not buried in the thread.

This video has been around for a while and all you need is V2 to get started and v3 if you both want to do it at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEctXuWBHME

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How possibly could anyone damage your Flex radio? For me, I don't have my amp on when someone uses my radio, they only have 100w to play with.

I would hope users are veted a little bit so you know who they are first.

With V3,,you can disconnect the other client
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This is a 15 min generic. How about a short one that is VERY SPECIFIC to what we are talking about?

"Sharing my Flex-6500 using Smart SDR v3.0.19"

TNX. Dave

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Actually there's probably a number of ways an operator could damage a radio.

Yes, you can disconnect someone but only if your watching while they are operating your radio. Many ops say they leave their Flex on 24/7 so how do you know if someone is using your radio when you're sleeping or away?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
    Hi Dave

If I did it over on V3, I'm not sure what I would add.  I would think that watching this and watching the V3 overview would provide the same information.  

Am I missing something?  

In V2, only one of you could access at the same time.  In v3, you both can access at the same time.   Beyond that the interfacing and operation has all the same specifics.

I am open to specifics and would be happy to do one if required.  

Mike

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

@Pat

Are you sure your not a lawyer.. you have so many negative thoughts

Hi Hi

FYI--- been sharing my radios and towers and amps for years and never had an issue

in fact my 6700 is usually one of the remote demo radios at the Flex Booth. where the "Great Unwashed" get to fiddle.. and if they can't break it... well!!!!!!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don't think anyone can damage my radio if they really tried to, what is not protected?
  • John N6NTM
    John N6NTM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    There are safe guards in place.....before you think of the negative......learn all there is to know.....ease your mind Flex brother.... confidence in those that bring us.....RADIOS FROM THE FUTURE.....after all....these things your worrying about are up to you....simple.....unless your 100% trusting in a person you share with...don’t share....
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sweet! Thanks, Michael.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I would love a short video showing how to run my Flex remotely over the internet using Marcus' iPad program remotely.   That is my next step in my Flex evolution.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    And, to answer Pats question, yes, if something happened and my friend completed destroyed my Flex, he would still be my friend. In the end, it's just a radio, and his friendship is much more valuable. Also, he's the ONLY person I'd allow to access my radio. 
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Howard,

No. I am not a lawyer. However, my 35 years of system design taught me to consider the possibility of what could go wrong and not just concentrate on what could go right.

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill,

If a radio and amp are protected to the point that it cannot be damaged then they would last forever.

It's not wise to assume that nothing can go wrong.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think it's admirable to put your friendship before the expense of a radio. Many people would not

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.