Sharing my Flex-6500 using Smart SDR v3.0.19

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
Once I've paid for the upgrade, how does my friend in a horrid HOA access my radio? Does he have to purchase SmartSDR v3.0.19 as well? Do I give him my SmartLink login info?
Photo of Richard Adkins

Richard Adkins

• 62 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 191 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
He does not have to purchase it, but you have to give him
your log-in info.
Photo of Richard Adkins

Richard Adkins

• 62 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thank you!
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 409 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
You give him your credit card number, Pin number to your ATM and 3 digit security code, and he will be set to go!!!! :-)

Robert
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 238 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Cute, not.
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 491 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
I think you can also create a second SmartLink account and link it to your radio.  Then give your friend that second SmartLink account info to connect to your radio. 
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1138 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Joe, Be curious if this is the case. I would like a guest login
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 321 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
We need a nice simple 5 minute video clip showing how to set this up with a minimum of angst...
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1097 Posts
  • 325 Reply Likes
There are videos on setting up SmartLink already:
(Edited)
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 321 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
This is a 15 min generic. How about a short one that is VERY SPECIFIC to what we are talking about?

"Sharing my Flex-6500 using Smart SDR v3.0.19"

TNX. Dave

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1097 Posts
  • 325 Reply Likes
Hi Dave

If I did it over on V3, I'm not sure what I would add.  I would think that watching this and watching the V3 overview would provide the same information.  

Am I missing something?  

In V2, only one of you could access at the same time.  In v3, you both can access at the same time.   Beyond that the interfacing and operation has all the same specifics.

I am open to specifics and would be happy to do one if required.  

Mike
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 263 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
I would love a short video showing how to run my Flex remotely over the internet using Marcus' iPad program remotely.   That is my next step in my Flex evolution.
Photo of Richard Adkins

Richard Adkins

• 62 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
This is a feature ripe for being at the top of an FAQ.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4028 Posts
  • 976 Reply Likes
But to your question, it's simple. Your freind will need a good internet connection, they do not have to be using V3, all you do is give them your log in info to connect to you.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1475 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
They NEED to download and use the same version loaded in the radio. There is no cost to download SmartSDR 3.0 for Windows. 

There IS a charge, for radios purchased prior to 10/1/18, to upgrade the actual radio to 3.0 or newer.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 855 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I have to wonder if there is a certain risk in allowing someone to remotely use your radio. What happens if they operate illegally in some manner? As the owner of the radio are you responsible for their actions?

What if they do something to damage your radio or amp? Let's say they keep transmitting on ANT2 but you don't have an antenna set up for ANT2 or they somehow leave it in a keyed mode for an extended period of time.

With the money I have invested in my station I would never allow anyone else to operate it especially when they are located somewhere else.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 855 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
That's good to know.

But what about the ops that use older hardware in conjunction with a Flex V3? Not everyone can pony up the coin for a PGXL.  .

For example - Bill mentioned that he has to shut down his tube amp in order to allow a remote op to use his radio and limit the remote op to just 100 watts.  Of course he is also limiting himself to 100 watts if he's using the radio at the same time.

When I bring these questions up you accuse me of being negative. I'm just trying to understand exactly how V3 will play out.

And who are the "Great Unwashed" you are referring to if you don't mind me asking?
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3788 Posts
  • 1638 Reply Likes
Unsophisticated button pushing public that randomly populate the Flex booth at shows. They are phenomenal beta testers because if it’s possible to break something they will. So far my station has survived.

Frankly you get what you’re willing /able to pay for For me, Since I travel so much, being able to seamlessly Operate remotely Was imperative and so I made the investment in station automation. Once the Station became remotely automated Extending to my friends to operate was trivial.

I can’t speak for what others need Or are willing to invest in

I guess my reaction to negativity is due to the fact I spent much of my life fighting being told it wouldn’t work or could not be done attitudes and then proving them wrong.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 855 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Take a look at the thread "V3 - Smart SDR 2nd Pan Adapter Greyed Out"

Eric mentions that on a 6300 or 6400 - both have only 2 panadapters and 2 slices -  if a remote user is on then the resources the remote op is using will be unavailable to another op.  I wonder if you let 2 remote ops use that configuration then would the local op be out in the cold with no slice to use at all?

I asked the question "does that mean neither op can run split if a local and remote op (or 2 remote ops) are  on a 6300 or 6400 at the same time?" but haven't gotten a response yet.

It does seem from what I'm reading that on a 6300 or 6400 you give up split capabilities when another op is using a slice. Ouch!

Of course I could be completely wrong - I often am.

Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1468 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
You can certainly use the RIT and XIT to achieve split with one slice. If two people are connected to a 6300 or 6400 then the +RX button and Split button will be unavailable.

If the station owner needs both to have split capability he can call Flex and talk to them about a trade-in towards a two SCU radio.

As far as resources, on a single SCU radio both will share those resources. If they are on a multiband Yagi one can be on 15 and the other on 20 meters.

Again manual tune amp, manual tuner then the remote op is at the mercy of the local op’s current operating band/freq.

We’ve pretty much ran this topic into the ground. You get the idea that model radio, antennas, and accessiries will be limiting factor on how Flexible the operating will be.

Let’s move on.

Dave wo2x
Photo of John KB4DU

John KB4DU

• 105 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
The local club has had the same discussion. Would like to convert to Flex so members don't have to go to the club station to operate. I can't find anything FCC about the radio owner being responsible, only the operator.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1097 Posts
  • 325 Reply Likes
So, this is not buried in the thread.

This video has been around for a while and all you need is V2 to get started and v3 if you both want to do it at the same time.

Photo of Richard Adkins

Richard Adkins

• 62 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Sweet! Thanks, Michael.
Photo of Richard Adkins

Richard Adkins

• 62 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
And, to answer Pats question, yes, if something happened and my friend completed destroyed my Flex, he would still be my friend. In the end, it's just a radio, and his friendship is much more valuable. Also, he's the ONLY person I'd allow to access my radio. 
(Edited)
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 855 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I think it's admirable to put your friendship before the expense of a radio. Many people would not
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3789 Posts
  • 1638 Reply Likes
Money is easy to replace. Good friends are not that easy. To find
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1270 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
Some even put the radio ahead of their wife.