Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Shameless re-bump to encourage more participation.

Jay Nation
Jay Nation Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in New Ideas
Lets Discuss!

the previous links ...

The original idea post.
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/-flexradio-irc-real-time-chat-discussion-support 

A link to the WebChat.
http://tinyurl.com/FlexRadioIRC 

Another alternate Webchat Link.
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=Flexradio 

And a link to a community thread from the past which might explain why I keep bumping the whole idea.
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/irc-chat-lets-discuss-v1-5 

Just a reminder, for the longtime Community users, and an invitation for the newer users .image

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Bumpity-Bump image
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    OK, I like the idea.   I did not know I could use the web chat URL without installing some IRC client software and creating configuration and login, etc.

Perhaps we could get more participation if you made that more clear.
    Consider some explanation in the post, something along the lines of;

=======
    "We have set up a chat room for Flex users and new Flex owners, where you can ask
    questions and chat in real time.  If you are new to IRC chat, it does not require any
    software installation.  You can simply open a web page, and join the chat room.
    Unlike the Flex forums, you can see how many people are online in real time, and ask
    questions in real time.  

Open the following web page to join us.   
    http://tinyurl.com/FlexRadioIRC 

Give it a try and spread the word"
    =======

Perhaps it was wrong to assume that everyone who owns a Flex or uses the Flex
    forums, has also been exposed to and knows what IRC chat is?  Or maybe not?

I will try to remember to join the chat room each time I work with my radio.

Cheers,

Neal
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Neal

Your right, when I bump this thread again next month, your reply and this one, will still be visible. image

I will try to expand on your reply. Thanks for dropping in!

It's similar to ragchewing with a digital app.

Yes for anyone, unfamiliar with what IRC is, or how to use it, to use the webchat app, click this link  #FlexRadio IRC chat  and it will open an IRC client in your browser window, and auto connect you into the channel,  so there is nothing to download, nothing to install, it just works. Just enter a nick, and hit enter in your browser.

To avoid running into nick issues on the server, at first just use your callsign as a nick.  Most real names will already be in use, and registered, (ask me about registering a nick later). Once you've registered a nick, nobody else can use it, period. Your callsign belongs to you so it's very unlikely to be registered, so it should just be accepted the first time. Most people don't give their kids names with numerals in the spelling. Which means it's very unlikely your callsign will already be in use and registered, by anyone else. 

To change your nick if you do run into a nick issue, just type /nick <some other nick>, in the input box and hit enter and the server will change it.

At the bottom of the client window in your browser is an input box, where you type your messages. you might have to wait in the channel long enough for the replies to start being typed in by others. With IRC, anything entered in the input box prints in the channel, so everyone can see it and join the discussion. You can also use the input box to send commands to the IRC server, by typing a / followed by a command like /help which will list and explain all the other IRC commands the server understands. You can also just ask in the channel. Somebody, probably me, will explain it.

To save on QRZ lookups I use NO5J-Jay as a nick.

Barring any power outages, I'm in the channel 24/7/365 and ready to help.

For anyone that doesn't create a book mark for the webchat client, look in any of my Community posts/replies, the link is in my signature.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.