Setup for WSJT-X on iMAC

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
I have WSJT-X v1.8.0 installed and working on windows pc, new mode FT8 fantastic!!!
Tried to install WSJT-X on my new iMAC, program installs (including block memory) ok, however setup causing problems, under Settings > Radio > Rig, setup page shows dropdown selection for FlexRadio 6xxx so assume it should be possible, but I don't seem to be able to crack it.  Has anyone managed to work WSJT-X  under "macOS Sierra" with their 6500+Maestro system?  I don't want to install windows on my iMAC. Any ideas?
Photo of Andrew Rose

Andrew Rose

• 32 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Hopefull

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Rick, K7FYI

Rick, K7FYI

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm also trying to set up WSJT-X on my Mac and have rig control working, but I'm pointing it to the IP address of my PC and a TCP port I set up for it within SmartCAT.  Presumably I could also use xCAT on the Mac to set up a port, but this is working.

In WSJT-X, my rig is set to FlexRadio 6xxx, network server is 192.168.X.XXX:5002 (the IP and port number on my PC where SmartSDR / SmartCAT are running).  CAT, Data/Pkt and Fake It are checked.

My issue is with audio.  xDAX is getting audio from the radio but can't figure out how to get the audio into WSJT-X on the Mac.  Hoping for input here:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dax-and-cat-applications-now-available-for-macos

Rick
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1616 Posts
  • 579 Reply Likes
Andrew, if you’re using a Mac-only solution, xCAT (see Rick’s post above) fills the bill wonderfully.

Rick, for audio, you will need a virtual sound card app, like Loopback, to make use of xDAX. Create sound cards in Loopback (I call mine DAX TX, DAX1, and DAX2 - creative, huh?) It might also be easier to use Dogpark SDR instead of running a PC for SSDR.
Photo of Rick, K7FYI

Rick, K7FYI

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks, George.  Got it working - testing the trial version of Loopback and the freeware Soundflower.  My use is a little different...  I've got a 6300, so 2 slices...  I'm using 2 computers so I can offload some of the processing as my PC wasn't keeping up with all of the decodes across 4 instances of WSJT_X for FT8 / JT65 / JT9 + JTAlert + SSDR + other stuff.

I have slice A tuned to 14.074 with the passband opened up to 5k+.  That gets me FT8 on the WSJT-X instance running on the PC, and it gets me JT65 & most of JT9 on the WSJT-X instance running on the Mac.  Ditto for another band in Slice B.
Photo of steven

steven

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Rick,

I'm using a MAC only solution. I've downloaded WSJT-X V2.0.0-rc3 along with Xcat. I've gone through the basic but it still won't connect?  I'm missing something!  Any beginner guide you would recommend?  Thanks!  Steven
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 285 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
This thread discusses Fldigi more than it does WSJT-X, but it apples to both.

Sorry - forgot to add the link: https://community.flexradio.com/flexr... and this: https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
(Edited)