Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Settings Manager

Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I would like to see a series of settings managers to assist in managing the massive amount of settings that exist in the radio. As a panadapter allows the user to see a broad spectrum of frequencies, a settings manager would allow the user to see and manipulate a large spectrum of parameters. A persistence manager would let the user select if a parameter is persistent across, bands, microphone inputs, modes, overall, or not persistent at all. The user could then easily propagate his selections to selected parameters. A profile manager would display all of the settings in all of the profiles, and allow the user to copy and paste settings across profiles much like a spreadsheet. A memory manager would allow the user to browser and create memories and optionally associate memories with profiles. These are just some ideas that come to mind, feel free to add to them or tear them apart, you won't hurt my feelings too badly.
Tagged:
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Good idea Robert. The "settings manager" could show everything in one place as well as list items that are planned but not yet implemented. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Robert, There is a Profile Manager in the K6TU Control iPad application that lets you save all radio parameters except slices. This includes filters, equalizer, mic source, compression settings, cw speed etc. You can easily create new profiles from existing configurations and then save them - either as a default which gets loaded into the radio when the app is started on the iPad or brought up manually. I didn't save slice configurations because of the issue of conflict - for example, what to do with slices that are already open on the radio that you have created from other clients. I have multiple profiles set up for different contest modes - CW, SSB, RTTY. All selectable and configurable with a tap of a finger. Here's an image of the Profile view in the app... And here's a link to the documentation on the app. K6TU Control documentation The app is available via the Apple AppStore. Stu K6TU
  • Kirk, K6KAR
    Kirk, K6KAR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Robert, What you are describing is what exists in PowerSDR. My thoughts are, if the PowerSDR format had used versus the new SmartSDR format, a lot of people, including myself would have been very satisfied. As it is, SmartSDR continues to be a poor operating system. I really wish Flex Radio would stop fooling with the second rate SmartSDR and make PowerSDR usable on the 6000 series radios. Regards, Kirk, K6KAR
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Kirk, I think you already know this but the functionality of PowerSDR is split in the case of the 6000 series radio - SmartSDR is a thin client and SDR functionality is now handled in real time in the radio. BTW - I thought you had given up on your 6000 and either given it to your daughter or sold it? Why did you change your mind? And a the risk of being pedantic... SmartSDR is not an operating system. PowerSDR and SmartSDR are totally different - like an elephant and a cheetah. I'll take SmartSDR over PowerSDR any day - I sold my 5000A a couple of months back. I'm happy to help you find someone to buy your 6000 - you are obviously unhappy with it. The rest of us here are not. Stu K6TU
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    Stu Wrote: "I didn't save slice configurations because of the issue of conflict - for example, what to do with slices that are already open on the radio that you have created from other clients. " Stu, I don't think it matters where the slice was created, if the slice is selected it should be overwritten if the user chooses to write to the slice. The selected memory should be overwritten by the selected slice information if the user chooses to save to memory. If additional slices are available then perhaps the bottom visible slice should read new slice and the bottom visible memory should read new memory so that the user has the option of writing a memory to a new slice or saving a slice to a new memory. Just some thoughts. I have lots of them, no charge.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Excellent idea!
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited June 2020
    I would like to see a option in the setup screen on the start tab maybe, where you could turn persistence on or off...and to be able to start fresh with out persistence on from a known point such as in release version 1.0.0, Then you could reset the bands the way you want and restart persistence, this way you would not need to go through all the bands checking all the settings, you could reset them as you go.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    I would like to select what is persistent, what it is persistent with, and see all such selections at the same time so that it is clear with a glance that all the settings are consistent, just as looking at a panadapter I can see that a band is crowded or empty.
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited January 2014
    I agree with you, but I would also like to see a master reset so i can go through each band and redo just what I need on the fly because of changing conditions, and to do this I need to be on the band so i know what conditions I'm encountering. This way I need only change the setting as dictated by conditions.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    Agreed.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    The settings should also be savable to disk for backup, and maybe even sharing.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes! A "master parameters" setup page could be set up to allow quick entry of various parameters. For example, there could be a section of the page that allows quick entry for band stacking registers such as : 80 Meters # 1) Slice A Initial Freq, Slice B Initial Freq (if used), Mode, Filter, AGC Speed, AGC-T, Pan Left limit, Pan Right Limit, Pan dB Lower Limit, Pan Upper dB Limit, Voice TX Profile, CW TX Profile, DAX Channel, Power Output (Or that could be saved in TX Profile), Panadapter FPS, Panadapter Averaging, RX Antenna, TX Antenna, ATU on/off, Remember changes? yes/no, (does this setting stay constant like a memory, or will it update itself whenever anything changes after having been selected?), etc Then additional, identical lists for 80 #2), & 80 # 3) and on to 3 or more, as defined by user, for each additional band... Then a section of parameters for TX profiles, Each profile is user customizable, including parameters such as: VOICE PROFILES: Profile Name (i.e. PR781 DX), Input Source (BAL, Line, Aux, Mic, DAX), +20 on/off, mike gain, Compression on/off, Compression level, TX EQ on/off, TX EQ settings (in a string of 8, 2-digit numbers), TX Low Cut, TX high cut, VOX on/off, VOX level, VOX Delay, Anti-VOX level, Noise Gate on/off, Noise Gate level, Power Out, Allow input from DAX also-yes/no, etc. (Perhaps the profiles could be linked to a pull down list next to the input selection, and only show up in a list of profiles assigned to each input.) Then a section for CW Initial parameters that includes: CW PROFILES: (Saved similar to Voice Profiles) Profile Name>: Iambic on/off, Iambic A/B, Paddle Reverse yes/no, Break-in on/off, Keyer Speed, Delay, Dot/Dash ratio, Leading Edge rise time, Trailing Edge decay time, (Both of these with parameter limits for quality control), Offset Frequency, A list of several of these "CW profiles" can be named and selected by a front panel pull down so the rig could be easily set up for Rag chewing, contesting, moonbounce, whatever CW personality the user requires at the time. Then lists of ADDITIONAL PARAMETERS: such as Flex Knob on/off, Various TX relay / input timings, remote power access on/off, Remote Access permitted yes/no, IP address DHCP/Static, IP Address, and all the other remaining parameters. All of these could be entered into a form, like a spread sheet, or configuration input screen. They could be done on one large form, or with a series of tabs divided by section, similar to many other programs' configuration screens. I personally think that a simple form would be sufficient. It would be nice if they could even be edited. imported & exported in a simple format like CSV, Spreadsheet, XML (but I am not experienced in that) or some other easily sharable format. Am I missing something here? What do you think? Ken - NM9P
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Fantastic idea. I think you can say we have been spoiled by PSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.