settings on the flex6400m/6600m for fldigi

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Good morning everyone.  Been at this for about 3 days now.  Talked on the phone with my old friend W9NWR for an hour trying to get fldigi and the flex 6600m working is unision.  fl digi does not track with the radio.  It worked once on 40 meters.  Went back to that configuration now it does not work.  Looking for anything that will help?  
Photo of KB4OIF

KB4OIF

• 224 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 108 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Download the Flex SmartSDR RigCAT XML files: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/xmls/flex/.  For a 6600M, download the ones for slices A, B, C, and D.  Put these files in a location where you can find them.

In fldigi Rig setup, select SmartSDR_SliceA for slice A, B for B, etc.  Set the COM port to the correct port listed in SmartSDR CAT for the slice you want to use.  Make sure you have the Use RigCAT checkbox checked.  Click Initialize, then Save.

Go to the Audio tab in the configuration window and set the Capture device to be the appropriate SmartSDR audio device for your slice.  Set the Playback device to DAV Audio TX.

fldigi needs a higher audio level than many other digital programs, so make sure you have the level set before you try to use it.

That should be all you need to do.  I set up mine this way (6600M) and it works fine.

73 - David, AG4F
Photo of KB4OIF

KB4OIF

• 224 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Do not see a file that is rigcat xml in the link.  Already have SmartSDR_SliceA in rig control.   Rig is no following the software.  i.e.  when I change freq on the flex, it does not follow.
Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 108 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Here's a screenshot of my setup.  Note the following:

1. There is no other program accessing the Flex slice that fldigi is accessing.
2. The baud rate fldigi must match the baud rate in SmartSDR.
3.  I am using CAT for PTT.  Not sure if DTR/RS will work.

I hope this helps.  If not, I'm happy to get on your system via Teamviewer and help diagnose and correct your setup.

73 - David, AG4F
Photo of KB4OIF

KB4OIF

• 224 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Mine looks the same.  I am working somewhat.  By that I am send and receiving . Made a few PSK 31 contacts.   The logbook is not working.  I have a lot to learn as I have been off digital for about 3 years to take care of my wife full time.  She is in a much better place now.  I had another ham offer to do the same yesterday and he fixed a few things.  I am tied up today as I  with the help of 2 local hams are going to put up a Gap titan vertical.  Email me at kb4oif@cox.net  . 
Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 118 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi John,

When you set it up did you follow the instructions "Setting up FLDIGI" in the FLEX-6000 Signature Series - SmartSDR for Windows Software User’s Guide ? (Para 34.4.1 - page 131)  https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/

I found the instructions worked without issue the first time, and I've been using it every week since.

Good luck !
Jim, WQ2H