Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

setting up a surface pro 3 to run SmartSDR on my local LAN - audio and other questions

Howard -W6HDG
Howard -W6HDG Member
edited September 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I know that local LAN remote operation is not yet officially supported.  

I just got a Surface Pro 3 and it is very sweet (i5 with Win 8.1 and128 gig SSD model - cold boots in 6 seconds!).  I'm sitting on my couch and trying to hear receive audio.

I believe I am following this older thread correctly - https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/has_anyone_tried_remote_operation_since_dax_is_avai...

I've set DAX in SSDR to Channel 1.  I've set Windows recording tab to "DAX Audio RX 1" and properly checked "Listen to this device".  I have tried the playback setting of "Default Playback Device" and verified that my default device in PLAYBACK is set to my speakers.  I've also tried explicitly setting the LISTEN device directly to "Speakers - Realtek HD Audio".  I don't see any movement on the bargraph for "DAX Audio RX1" so I must be doing something wrong.
Ideas?  
Also, without connecting the keyboard or a mouse, is there a way to fine tune a station using a tablet running SSDR?

Tnx Howard W6HDG

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I can't answer your question, but I am very interested in hearing how well the Microsoft tablet/computer works with various interfacing programs to work with Smart SDR.

Jim

• Paul Casper
    Paul Casper Member
    edited March 2017
    Howard,

I, too, have a shiny new Pro 3!  What a great laptop/tablet.

I have SSDR working on the Pro 3 just fine.  I don't transmit with it, just receive and control all the receive functions in SSDR.  Your setup procedure sounds just fine, and I have only one suggestion.  Bring up the DAX control panel, which is in the popup menu at the lower right hand corner of the screen.  You may have to minimize SSDR to see it.  When you have the control panel in view, check to see if channel 1 is selected (the "1" will be blue).  If not, click on the 1, which activates DAX channel 1 and indicates that slice A is selected..  That should do it.  Set the RX gain where you want it.  If that does not do the trick, the problem will probly be in the Windows Sound setup, which I will try to help you with if I can.

Paul
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Buy an iPad. SSDR works great remotely on my iPad. I have run remote via my iPad to SSDR from17 different countries.
  • Howard -W6HDG
    Howard -W6HDG Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks very much, Paul.  I just turned on the Surface this morning and immediately had audio, so maybe something got reset or the app just needed to be restarted?  UPDATE:  I closed and then started SSDR again and this time had to uncheck the blue #1 and re-enable the blue #1 in DAX control panel to jump start audio on the surface.  Bug?

I do have some crackles and pops in the audio, but I can live with it.  Is 2 channel 48K DVD quality the correct setting for the Advanced tab for DAX Audio RX 1 Properties in Windows 8.1? UPDATE: Tried a USB to ethernet adapter on the Surface for a direct Ethernet connection to the 6300.  No crackles or pops.  So some sort of streaming issue over wireless perhaps?  

I'm quite new to SmartSDR.  Does anyone know if there is a way to fine tune to a station by sliding across the screen rather than having to double click on a signal (which is tough to get right on the small screen even with the scale expanded)? Sort of like FIXED vs FREE in PowerSDR? I don't want to have to connect a keyboard, mouse or Flex Knob when couch surfing. Right now, if I slide, all it does is change the entire X axis segment without changing frequency.  Or is there a way to emulate the mouse wheel for tuning on a touch screen?

And to my good friend, #1 Howard, you know I wouldn't even own this Flex 6300 without your encouragement. But I'm not an iPad person and don't travel the globe like you.  I am very happy with Windows and a smidgen of Android.  I could use Logmein on my Android tablet, but a native SSDR app with LAN and WAN capability is why I bought this Flex and this Surface Pro 3.  The LAN and WAN Flex updates should have been ready by now IMO.  I'm bringing my Flex 6300 to Field Day as a GOTA demo. I wish I could tell everyone that LAN and WAN is ready.  It is the missing link, pun intended :)

Howard W6HDG   

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    "Missing Link". Cute! I plan to try to work u guys at Field Day Remote from Freidrichshafen I sent u some suggestions on connecting pro directly to u. But it looks like it solved itself Yes. I find I need to stop and restart a DAX stream to get it to reconnect OK.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard and Paul,
    I've been looking at the Surface Pro 3 also.  I'm not in a rush, so waiting for the remote features coming in V1.4 and then will decide.   And given the timing, the i7 model should be out by then.  In the mean time I would be interested in hearing more feedback on how your i5 SP3  performs from the video perspective with 2 or more panadapters/waterfalls being displayed.       

If you can run the Passmark performance test I would be very interested in the results especially the 2D video number.  I've been hearing that somewhere around 250-350 is needed but there are other factors that can affect that.  You can download a free 30 day trial at:  http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

An example of the passmark summary with the 2D metric highlighted just for reference....

• Howard -W6HDG
    Howard -W6HDG Member
    edited September 2015
    Al,
    I ran on battery power:

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=25515814079

The only thing real impressive is the solid state disk :)

The Surface Pro 3 is really slick but it costs a lot. $999 for the i5 with 4 gig RAM and 128G disk.  They apparently will want $1900 for the i7 when it is released. Pretty insane.  I also looked at an i7 Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 for around $1100 which was a much better value but not quite the cool factor.

Howard W6HDG

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard, Great numbers. Thanks. It sounds like MS got it right this time and bet it runs ssdr very well. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.