Setting Up Diversity RX on the Flex 6700.

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
I'm new to the Flex community and was hoping that someone could point me to a document or share there experience with setting up diversity RX on the Flex 6700.

Thanks and 73,
Kevin, N5DX
Photo of Kevin Stockton

Kevin Stockton

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 days ago

Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 710 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Photo of Kevin Stockton

Kevin Stockton

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

I understand what diversity is.  I'm looking for a step by step procedure for how to setup on the Flex 6700.   

Thanks and 73,
Kevin, N5DX
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 694 Posts
  • 230 Reply Likes
There is a section in the manual titled...

"HOW TO OPERATE DIVERSITY RECEPTION"

It explains everything you need.

(Edited)
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 879 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
Kevin - I use the Diversity RX feature on my 6700 every so often.  You'll find it works best if you feed two different types of resonate antennas to your Flex A and B RF ports, for example a vertical and a dipole, vertical and yagi, horizontal loop and sloper, etc.  I'm currently using two EFHW antennas, one strung E/W and the other N/S.  As for activation, just click on the speaker icon on the Frequency Flag then click on DIV.  As the manual suggests, wear headphones.  The 6000 series DIV feature relies on your individual ears interpret and enhance reception.  I mentioned I use Diversity every so often, because I've found sometimes it helps and other times it doesn't. 

Unlike the Diversity feature found on the Flex 5000 transceiver (using PowerSDR), SmartSDR does not [currently] offer a Diversity Control Adjustment adjustment to help reduce background noise and obtain the best S/N ratio.  Example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD0V2D5S1dU&t=285s

Hopefully Flex will eventually see their way to adding this feature to SmartSDR. 

Photo of KM4CQG

KM4CQG

• 253 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Kevin

I use a magnetic loop that is far from my other antennas.
It works but I find its used on rare occasions.

Ian