Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Set up for flex 5000A with winlink

I have a FLEX 5000 A.  I have set up the virtual paths for digital operation with FLDIGI.  It works great.  Now I wish to set up to run Winlink/Winmor.   I found several versions of how to set up Winlink/Winmor with the 5000 A but each takes a different approach.  Also, the settings shown for  the 5000A for Winlink/Winmor operation are far different from that of FLDIGI.  I assume since this is the case, I would not try to assign the Winlink software to work via the same ports and paths as with FLDIGI.  My question then is can I establish a completely new set of ports/paths for 5000 A and Winlink and make and save  new settings in the 5000A without affecting the arrangements and settings for FLDIGI? Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Dave,

I do not have the full setup,  but you have to keep the buffers small as your computer can support and RX/TX return delays as small as you can , due to the required quick turnarounds required for WinLink    ,  the 5000 is going to rather picky on these latency issues and you need a fast computer to help,  also make sure you DPCs are as low as possible. 

Dudley
    WA5QPz
  • DAVE MEADOWS
    DAVE MEADOWS Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Dudley. I will keep these in mind in trying to set this up. Main question is can the flex have two different sets of virtual pathways, one set for FLDIGI and another set for Winlink? A friend of mine has a 1500 and has set up both of those software packages to use the same set of ports and pairs for both programs. Perhap it is different for the 5000? Dave
  • DAVE MEADOWS
    DAVE MEADOWS Member
    edited November 2018
    It doesn't seem logical that there could be only one form on which to apply settings that vary from one digital software program to another. Only other thought is some way to store the different setups for each program. Don't remember seeing that in the manual but maybe it is in there.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Dave, The only reason you would need virtual ports would be if you were operating them both at the same time, like your friend if you only operate one program at a time , you can use the same VAC and virtual com ports . And yes you can operate both if you have the RX2 installed in the radio. Dudley WA5QPZ
  • DAVE MEADOWS
    DAVE MEADOWS Member
    edited November 2018

Dudley,

Thanks again.  I do have the RX2 installed.  I really see very few times I would need to have both programs working at the same time.  As I imagine it, the advantage for having a separate set of VAC/virtual paths for RMSexpress would be so that the settings in the 5000A wouldn't have to be changed when moving from one program to the other.  I have searched the web for instructions on how to configure the FLEX5000A for RMSexpress using Windows 10.  I found a procedure for FLEX3000/5000A but it is for Windows 7 and the forms are different. My friend says he uses the exact same setups in his 6000 as he did with his 1500 and it works fine. Therefore, I am going to try RMSexpress in Windows 10 using the same  parameters in the various 5000A forms as in FLDIGI and see if it works.
    Wish me luck.

And thanks again for your interest and help.

Dave
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Dave,

RMSexpress would be the same VAC and virtual serial port settings,  do not use VOX to key the radio, setup VSPManager or what ever virtual serial port sw for keying the radio,  same as you used for FLDigi .   

Good luck,
    Dudley
  • DAVE MEADOWS
    DAVE MEADOWS Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes. I have VSPmgr loaded on the computer and it handles the ptt. I actuall use an external electronic keter for cw. I was leery of latency with the internal cw program. Works great. I may try the internal version just to see if there are any problems. Thanks again for you kind help. Dave
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dave, can you post the steps you took to install RMS Express, Winlink/Winmor for the Flex5000A. I also have Rigblaster Advantage which I need to setup with the radio.  If you or someone else has done that I'll appreciate your feedback.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.