Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Server performance

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I wonder if the numbers of hits on the FRS server tends to peak when a release of SSDR is thought to be imminent.

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I would bet it ramps up at the release announcement.    :-)

I'm thinking any day now..... 

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    >>I'm thinking any day now.....
    Me too...that is why I asked ;-).
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I would guess after NYD, first week or two in Jan. People tend to take off the week between Christmas and New Years, kids are out of school, perhaps the testers are otherwise occupied..This is a hectic season.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Steve! Looking forward to a "new radio" in the new year.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the update Steve.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Steve. Each new release has had different version numbered DAX drivers, so are you saying that the number change did not signify a driver change?
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    The DAX control panel has continued to be updated each time, but the drivers have not been.  Generally in Windows user-mode applications are very compatible across versions of Windows.  Drivers can have issues since they are privileged applications that operate more closely with the operating system.  We have seen some occasional issues during Alpha testing with the updated drivers.  We've worked to ensure as many of the issues we've seen during testing will not appear for the majority of customers (thanks to the Alpha team for being Guinea pigs), but we can't predict all of the software and hardware combinations a customer might have, so problems can occur from time to time.  Our support team has been helping customers with this sort of thing since we've been in business so we can help if problems occur.

Long term, the only reason for the DAX drivers is a translation shim from VITA-49 over Ethernet to Windows sound cards.  Most digital applications today use sound cards so we will probably not be getting away from them anytime soon, but I hope in the future that a standard like VITA-49 is more widely adopted so we don't need virtual sound cards -- and the drivers that go with them.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Mni tnx for that info Steve.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Sounds good Steve, thank you !
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Every little "leak" of information whets my appetite even more!
    I guess I can endure a few more days!  
    Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year to the whole staff!

Ken - NM9P

• Bill N5TU
    Bill N5TU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Thank you very much.  I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Have a great holiday!

VY 73, Bill, N5TU
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    What no one, so far as I can tell, has asked; is 1.6 it for version 1?
  • Marv
    Marv Member
    edited December 2016
    It was just clearly laid out by Steve above that Ver. 1.6 will be just that and Ver 2.0 will be for WAN as promised!
  • Marv
    Marv Member
    edited December 2016

Thanks for the post Steve.  You guys are doing a fantastic job , and always giving a lot to look forward to.  Merry Christmas to you and all of the Staff, and Happy New Year!

Marv

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Marv, would you like to point me to where Steve said there would be no 1.7 release? I don't see it. I did see where a tester suggested that 1.5.1 be the last release on 1.x.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The tester was plainly wrong (and naughty for breaking the NDA). I have not seen any mention at all that any given version of the 1.x line would be the last; indeed bug fixes will still be made available after the release of the v2 line. I use some softwares that is continually and frequently updated and the last major version update (aka the last time I paid anything) was years ago.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    There have not been any declarative statements regarding the last 1.x release of anything.  No need to get any feathers ruffled.

And, unless the information comes from an actual member of the FlexRadio management team, it is not authoritative.
  • Marv
    Marv Member
    edited December 2016

Walt Corey-KZ1F

I do not know anything about a 1.7 release. But if you look at and read Steve's post about the use of bandwidth used and showing the chart, he specifically states that 1.6 will be released separate from Ver. 2.0 which will have WAN!

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    "Those who readith betwixt the lines are bound to find white space..."

Seriously, I think the comment Steve was making about 1.6 was a bit of tongue in cheek, referring to the fact that we have put in a lot of time and effort into release 1.6 where it feels like we have done a major release's worth of effort.

One of the major (not not the only) feature of the upcoming 2.0 is WAN access.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    After we release v1.6 and get Maestro out the door, we will work in earnest on v2.0.  There is no plan, at this point, for a v1.7.  But as time progresses, we could decide to produce an interim release for some reason.  The largest factor would be the time required to design and build v2.0.  At this point, no one at FlexRadio can tell you anything about any potential release between v1.6 and v2.0 because we simply don't know. 
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Steve, SSDR *needs* a GUI-centred release before v2.

It has some very rough edges and places where some very poor design choices were made; the power and SWR meters spring to mind. There are others sufficient in number to warrant a separate GUI release.

Those who do not wish to upgrade to v2 should get the enhanced GUI as part of their v1 package IMHO.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Why this hubbub about Power and SWR meters? Big deal ... you shouldn't be relying on the radio for this information, at least not to any precision. Antenna current, SWR on the feed line, these are important and not the duty of the transceiver. Just my opinion .. but good engineering practices should lead you elsewhere.

I am really enjoying the user-interface, and am starting to fear the distinct possibility of it getting mucked up a bit by attempting to support too many tertiary considerations.

W7NGA  dan
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@Guy - While the SmartSDR GUI should be continued to be tweaked a lot falls into personal preference rather than show-stoppers needing a redesign. 

A GUI addition that would be nice to see is "skins" like PowerSDR had but with more customization available, particularly in colors, font sizes and other legibility tweaks.

That could be rolled in somewhere along the line, rather than a dedicated release.

Steve K9ZW

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

The GUI is how this radio presents itself to the world.  It should be as
    powerful, practical, and efficient as possible.  Some functions should be
    available, but ought to be able to be turned off and on or modified as
    needed by the user.
          Flex produced "PowerSDR" and knows how to make a GUI that does
    not get "mucked up .... [by] ... tertiary considerations"  They know how to
    do this.  A serious "GUI centered release" would be a pleasant surprise
    even to those who may not think one is needed.

Ned,  K1NJ

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not sure what any of that has to do with fixating on the Power and SWR meters. Microsoft Word is incredibly complex and powerful, and yet, when I try and use it I am overly burdened with sorting thru too many features.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guy and Ned, Agree on wanting to see some GUI improvements. There are plenty of good ideas already in the list that would make SSDR better. Steve , Agree that they don't have to be in a seperate release. It would be nice to get them before 2.0 but that is not a requirement for me. I'll get 2.0 when it is available even though I don't have any plans to use the WAN remote feature. I expect there will be other enhancements in the 2.x. Series. One reason I asked for a status update on all of the ideas (including many GUI improvements) is to find out which ones are even in play. Re: this thread. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/roadmaps?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][reply_id]=16436540#reply_16436540 Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ W7NGA - you have just got used to the current GUI, designed by sombody who thought it was a good idea that the meter bar (the bit that moves - not saying this to be disrespectful, just to make myself clear) gets darker the lower down the scale it moves, just when most would want more precision. For example, on most of 160M, I am only allowed 32W at the antenna. I can make a few calculations for my line loss, but then I cannot see the dark bar on the power meter. There are decisions taken that do not follow windows convention like most (>99%) of windows programs follow and areas where it is very difficult to control. You have just got used to this like most of us, but that should not stop progress :-).

Cheers,

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Some may well feel there needs to be a UI focused release.
    Some may feel the UI is just fine the way it is.
    Personally, I think over the last two years there have been articulated 'flaws' in the design of the UI. Season to taste.
    The primary reason I asked the question, with an expectation of an official answer, is 1.6 apparently will have some major new features, for those features, it will be essentially a .0 release. I'd like to see, prior to the end of release 1 and a money release, notwithstanding what Steve just said, a point release dedicated to cleaning up all remaining reported bugs, sev 1 and sev 2  counts to zero and significant reduction in sev 3 bugs. In that way those not progressing on to release 2.x would not be burdened with unresolved bugs.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Walt, I think there could be a reasonable compromise, but it would take a lot of work. It would require a search through the whole forum to see where somebody in authority from FRS has confirmed the bug/cosmetic issue and said it would be put on a list for fixing...like the date in the lower right hand corner not having the system format (whistles to look nonchalant). I'll get my coat...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.