Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Separate groups

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in New Ideas
Maybe it is time to have a separate Maestro group? 
2 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Larry W0NQW
    Larry W0NQW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There is a Maestro Category within the the FlexRadio Community.  Is that what you mean by Group?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    How can I get off that category then? I understand everyone is excited, but I don't really need to know when each person gets invoiced, then shipped, then tracked, then arrives, then sets up. 
  • Larry W0NQW
    Larry W0NQW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am guessing you are looking at all categories.  You can click on "Categories" on the black **** at the top of the page.  From there you can select the category in which you are interested.  Hope that helps.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2016
    At the top of the main page where it says Conversations, there are several categories to select from. As well as three dots ... that you can select additional categories. I think the default is All. James WD5GWY
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Looks like Maestro is in there as long as I don't deselect the whole signature series. Oh well, I'll just ignore them. 
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What's more: I think the Maestro is surely a great addition and if one of my
    friends gets one, I'll ty it with my Flex6k5 and maybe decide to buy one
    for remote work.
    But reading the forum posts I sometimes wonder that my rig works at all -
    and without the Maestro ;-)
    73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    I went to try this myself -- if you will select the category you are interested in at the top of the community, you all only see posts with that category.  I went to see how many Maestro posts are incorrectly tagged with something else and it's a pretty small number.  I fixed a few that I saw, but for the most part people tag them correctly.  Is this the issue or are you saying that you subscribed to everything posted and you get an email about everything?  If this is the case, I suspect you can undo this and then just follow topics you are interested in.  If none of this works, I bet Tim can figure the issue out.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2018
    Michael,

I am afraid that splitting the Community into separate communities defeats the intent of having a single meeting place for all people interested in FlexRadio products.

As Steve noted, using the proper Category when creating your topic is the starting point for managing Community topics.  This allows you to view only items specific to a product or service when using the web interface.  And also helps when managing e-mail notifications.  

There are several ways to manage your e-mail notifications too by filtering on specific categories,

This GetSatisfaction Community post describes how to manage e-mail notifications
     https://education.getsatisfaction.com/community-task-guide/your-community/email-notifications-for-al...
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    It's like a bunch of 5 year olds waiting for christmas morning. Unreal.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I am not following the Maestro category, yet I am seeing loads is Maestro posts. I have noticed that I am seeing posts correctly labelled for the Maestro 'group' too.

C'mon chaps, it would not be a big deal or major inconvenience surely to set up a separate group so that those who do not wish to see the posts do not have to?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@Guy - the structure is inherited from Get Satisfaction's software host, and presently doesn't seem to offer what you would like.

Even if it did, doubtful it could be intelligent enough to know when you are participating or not really participating in the Maestro Threads you've posted to.

Steve N5AC and Tim W4TME have explained what is available, that their is no intent to break the community into several communities. 

Perhaps those not wanting push notifications about Maestro during this product roll-out might temporarily discontinue email notifications.  Everything is still available on-line for later perusal.

FRS is being pretty nice Guy, but as breaking the community up is a disservice to both their vision of an full ecosystem community and a disservice to their customers who by structure of the ecosystem will have an interest in the rest of the ecosystem supporting their new Maestro, is not only not planned, but is a disservice to all the Maestro users. 

Really why should all of use have to look in several communities to achieve support for what is otherwise an integrated ecosystem?  Think it through Guy, and put yourself in all of our shoes and then in FRS shoes - to convenience a few the product support for the leading edge of the product offering should be crippled??!! 

Now where I do agree with you, is I do see where the filtering System of Get Satisfaction is below what I too would like.  But looking around I don't think the tiered multi-outcome filtering I would like exists in any available system.  Wondering if it just isn't out there?

All best and perhaps continue the chat on air?

Steve

K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2018
    Guy, thank you for your feedback, but we have no intentions of starting multiple communities based on product. The community is a singular place of inclusion where all people can engage and interact directly with FlexRadio Systems. Segregated communities based on product is counter to that goal and objective. And yes, it doubles the administrative overhead and cost, as hosting a Community is not a trivial corporate expense.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do not see it as a disservice to have separate areas in a forum structure as being a disservice - it is NOT "breaking up a community". You are talking as if a certain section is going to be put up against a wall and shot, :-). The vast majority of forums have a very active membership/community whilst having many difference sections and groups.

When I hear the word 'ecosystem', I get the same feeling as when I hear the word 'lifestyle'. It is pure marketing-speak pap that makes me want to scream.

Best wishes and hope to meet in the ether.

Cheers

Guy
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Looks like disabling email notifications is the answer, Guy. So be it.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    I suspect you have subscribed to the whole community.  I also suspect you can unsubscribe and then click "follow" on the categories you want to subscribe to.  Then you would be subscribed to only the things of interest to you.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ah, penny drops. That should sort it, thanks.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It would not be multiple communities, but different sections within the same community.

I don't notice any increase in admin overhead or cost when I create another section on my forum at all. If anything, the 'cost' (such that it is) goes down as it makes admin easier.

Anyway, we can all run our forums as we like and stay friends.

With best regards,

Guy

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.