Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

sensitivity spec not published

VE7ATJ_Don
VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
Most other radios publish a sensitivity spec -- usually in the range of .2uV or below for the HF bands.  I notice on the spec sheets for the FLEX 6000 series that this spec is not provided.  Yet Sherwood measured it at .25uV.

Is this because there is some 'environmental specificity' (i.e. settings adjustments) that affect the sensitivity of the recievers?  or is the .25uV rating just not something Flex wants to necessarily publish?

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Sherwood measured 0.20 and 0.25, depending on whether the built-in preamp was used or not.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Flex-6000 Hardware Reference Manual - page 15 - Section 4.3 Receiver specs - lists the Sensitivity of all three radios.

you will need to do a download of the document.

cheers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The sensitivity spec is published in the FLEX-6000-Hardware-Reference-Manual.image
    Sensitivity (Typical MDS in 500 Hz BW, Preselector OFF)  Preamp Off/10dB/20dB/30dB

For the 6300 its ... 
    -121 dBm/-125 dBm/136 dBm/NA

For the 6500 it's ...
    -121 dBm/-125 dBm/136 dBm/NA
                For the 6700 it's ...
    -121 dBm/-125 dBm/136 dBm/-141 dBm 
    Doing the conversions that results in ...

6300 .2 uV / .13 uV / NA

6500 .2 uV / .13 uV / .04 uV / NA

6700 .2 uV / .13 uV / .04 uV / .02 uV

The FLEX-6000-Hardware-Reference-Manual.pdf file is available in the Downloads at ...

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6000-hardware-reference-manual-pdf/

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

edited to add the conversion for the 6700s  -141 dBm spec I forgot to include

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Sensitivity tends to be a rather irrelevant number if the band noise normally exceeds the minimum sensivity level.

The following diagram shows how irrelevant most sensitivity numbers are for HF

image BOTTOM LINE. MOST MODERN RADIOS ARE ALREADY FAR TOO SENSITIVE MUch more important in the modern world are the phase noise numbers. Or how much internal noise the radio adds to the received signal. Flex 6700 has the best phase noise numbers.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    OK, thanks guys... I didn't think to look in the hardware manual.  I was just looking on the flexradio main site.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.