Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sensitivity on one slice depends on which band oposite slice is on

Options
Top Dawg
Top Dawg Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am running SSDR v1.7.30 on a Flex 6300.

I just thought we were going through a bad period in the current sunspot cycle. No matter which band I chose, there were either no signals or very few, especially weak CW. This has been going on for at least a month. Then today, I had slice A tuned to 20M and B on 15 and decided to try tuning B to other bands and lo and behold, when I put B on 40M, both slices began acting normally, i.e. there was activity on both, (I'm guessing about 15-20 dB increase i signal strength)

I've also noticed a great change in waterfall sensitivity on one slice when changing bands with the opposite slice which may or not be related.

This problem didn't show up till I updated to v1.7.30

Documenting this would be a pain since I would have to do screenshots of every instance, but I will if needed.

Comments

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Not sure if this is the same problem. When I put up two slices, only one slice has good sensitivity.....the slice that I operated on most recently. If I retune on the new slice, sensitivity is normal on the new slice. I believe this normal.
  • Top Dawg
    Top Dawg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I dunno, but I would think both slices should have normal sensitivity.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Is the internal ATU operating? Tuner memory may be a factor.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Take note that the preamp gain doesn't change when changing slices if it is not desired. I suspect one slice sets the preamp gain to a new value and you are experiencing the result.
  • Top Dawg
    Top Dawg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for putting me on the right track Dan. Pp 91-95 in the SmartSDR User's Guide explains this in a little more detail but doesn't make clear why one slice/band should affect the other slice/band.  In any event, it was the preamp gain being affected and all I needed to do was to turn the preamp on and Presto - I'm back on 20 CW!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.