Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDR 1.0 - Guesstimate on date?

Options
Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in
SDR 1.0 - Guesstimate on date? I know the strategy for release 1.0 is when it's ready rather than target a specific date. And it's seems the content is not set in stone yet, there are bugs to fix, etc. It's a little like the 1980's Orsen Wells wine commercial. "We will sell no wine before it's time". http://youtu.be/CjSyGZK8e1Y That's a good strategy but I'd still be interested to hear an educated guess on the timing. Thoughts? - October - December - not until 2014 Thanks, Al / NN4ZZ

Answers

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    i THINK Tim hinted at Sept 1...
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dan, that would be amazing! Especially if it includes the persistence feature that seems to be a big one for a lot of folks here. (not to mention CW QSK and the other bug fixes). Three weeks seems really fast but I hope you are right. Al / NN4ZZ
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    we may get a preview update > xx.20 this week...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We have a target date for early September 2013 for SmartSDR v1.0
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Tim, that sounds great! Since that's only about 3 weeks away, is the content for 1.0 finalized now? I know a lot of folks want the persistence feature and it would be nice to know what else is included. Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Al, We are not commenting publicly on what is planned for SmartSDR v1.0 or SmartSDR v1.1 other than what has been previously communicated in the FlexInsiders or on the community. We need to complete beta testing before committing to specific release features. I am sure you an appreciate that we do not want to improperly set anyone's expectations.To paraphrase.. "We will announce no wine before it's time"
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Tim, I do understand about over committing and over communicating. I was asking about the content based on my development team experience. Both our Agile teams and traditional SDLC teams would freeze the code content (i.e. no new features) about 3-4 weeks before a release. That didn't stop development on the next release because we used a code branching process. The code freeze gives the QA team, Dev team, and Tech Writers time to finalize any last minute bug fixes, prepare release notes and update the manuals. We occasionally had to drop something but it was rare. We advised the users about the release content with the caveat that something could still change. Users liked this process because it gave them a good idea of what was coming. And the team liked it because we usually met our dates. I thought based on your early September date you were at about that point. Of course every company has their own process and as a new FRS customer I'm still just trying to learn yours. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Although I would like to get 1.0, I would rather Flex takes all the time it needs to do it right ( up to their standards). After all we have our radios already with some pretty good base software. At present our upgrades are not on the "clock" so it extends our time a little bit each day. But I know also that Flex needs to start shipping to those who did not want to do the beta routine (financial matters). Some thing about a rock and a hard place, I guess. Beside all of that I am enjoying checking out all the features and reading what all the other hams are saying. 73 Al N4AB
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Tim, as an old program manager for defense software; I remember one of my best software managers when asked for a schedule to fix a software problem would always say "No software problem will be solved before its time". It use to infuriate upper management but he as always right. BTW, I never tried agile development and I'm not sure I would like it. But, then I'm old school .
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    reminds me of back when I was working as a Technician for the TELCO and we would get a "panic" call to troubleshoot and fix a reported problem and of course provide an estimate of when service would be restored........our first response was always "the trouble is leaving here ok".
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Al, In case you missed this in the July 12th Flex Insider, I am providing the article from Steve Hicks on the relative time frame for SmartSDR v1.0. 73, Gerald, K5SDR FLEX-6000 SmartSDR v1.0 Update by Steve Hicks, N5AC - VP, Engineering Earlier in the week, we held a planning session for SmartSDR v1.0. We took all of the excellent input we have received from our FLEX-6000 Preview customers, our key advisors, and input we have received from our local and international sales and distribution teams. The overwhelming theme was that we need to finish a handful of significant work (CW QSK software, for example) and fix a number of outstanding defects to make the software enjoyable and functional as a first release. As most of you know, this is the beginning and not the end of the journey. For us the software is the radio and we will continue to enhance and add to it as the years progress. We scrubbed the list repeatedly asking ourselves the question we felt would be on your minds as you install SmartSDR v1.0 or fire up your FLEX-6000 for the first time: "Is this the best performing radio I've ever owned?" Each item we've included in our v1.0 task list has passed this test. All told, this work will put us in the September time frame for the SmartSDDR v1.0 release. Up to now, we've spent time in several key areas that do not have glitz and flash -- receiver performance and the foundation software in the radio that makes all the things the radio can do possible. We are so very proud of both the transceiver hardware and our new SmartSDR software and where it will take us together in the future. But we know that our customers want a radio they can be proud of out of the box. This is what SmartSDR v1.0 is about. 73, Steve
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Gerald, Thanks for the reply. I did read the last insider and also joined the community right away. I've read virtually ever post. It's been very informative and a great tool already. Given all of the excellent user feedback here and what seems to be some strong opinion about including persistence, I was very surprised (pleasantly) when Tim said it V1.0 would be ready in about 4 weeks (early September). Even if persistence is not moved up to V1.0, early September is not far away. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I figured the code would be frozen and headed to QA about now for an early September roll out. Actually I'm not as concerned with the date. I completely agree with the stated goals for V1.0 listed in the insider. They make sense and while everyone would rather have it sooner than later, I'll bet most would also want it to solid. I'd rather see you meet the stated goals even it it took another month or three. Regards, Al
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The V1.0 date is not as important as its content and stability. Here's hoping a pre-release version or two is passed on to this group before it gets its V1.0 label. We are ready to help. Ned
  • VA7LWE
    VA7LWE Member
    edited August 2013
    Options
    V1 will be the moment that the radio will be judged and compared. That's a big moment. It's the baseline for everything that comes after and whether people are blown away by initial performance and reliability that *still* has upside potential, or whether the consensus is that the radio is merely interesting to watch to see how it evolves with continued development. V2 will be another chance to remake a story with the market, but that will be a long time off (and inevitably coloured by V1). The great thing about software is that you can constantly improve it. However, people don't pay attention continuously. As early adopters we all benefit from the early and continued success of FlexRadio with this product. So, I'm also hoping that V1 ships when it's truly ready to be representative of the core values of the product. To me, that's quality in the essentials of being a great radio. I can think of a million cool features after that (and so can everybody else, I'm sure!). Luckily, there can be as many point releases as are needed to deliver all that.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Options
    We are gray box testing the next SmartSDR version right now. Once we have some good feedback on it, we will pass it on to the community.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I believe Tim or someone else at Flex said "persistence" would not be in 1.0 Jim K4JAF
This discussion has been closed.