Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDR Ios App Antenna Rotor Needed using iPhone 8+ Any Idea's Anyone

mikeatthebeach .
mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
Looking for an SDR Ios App Antenna Rotor Needed for use on a Apple iPhone  8+

Any Idea's Anyone 

Now using The FlexRadio SDR iOS from Markus with my Flex6600M

Now wish I could rotate my Beam Antenna using Green Heron RT21D
and a RemoteRig RC1216H Unit using the FlexRadio SDR iOS App

Seems only Android Phones are supported and not Apple iOS Phones iPhone 8 Plus
with the RemoteRig App for Android Phones

Any Idea's or Advice

The FlexRadio SDR iOS App Markus did is Great, wish he had some kind of 
way to rotate an Antenna like the RemoteRig RC-1216H system but for Apple
iOS Phones/Ipads

Mike

Answers

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    PstRotator has an built-in app web server that's easily enabled and works well with any O/S including iOS and Android.  I use an iPhone 8 and the screen looks and feels like any other iphone app.  The app server runs concurrently with the PstRotator host program.  If I want to, I can simultaneously access the rotators from the client app on my desktop PC *and* the iPhone.  It's as good as it gets.  

http://www.qsl.net/yo3dmu/index_Page346.htm

Paul, W9AC
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I second the recommendation for PSTRotatorAZ. It is an extraordinary program. It’s web app works great. But you do need to have the host program running on the shack computer.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Part of making a good and stable remote station is to actually have a windows PC near the radio on the same subnet.  I came to this conclusion after 15 years of remote operating.  On this computer, run  PSTRotatorAZ and then use their web interface to connect to it.  

Having the PC also allows you to use the remote from any device you have just being doing some sort of remote desktop connection to it.

This is what it looks like and it is easy to use from an iPhone on Android device.  

Mike

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited September 2018
    I agree with Mike.  Newby remote ops want to avoid a PC at their remote sites.  I can't imagine owning a remote site without one.  I can diagnose and correct many issues that aren't possible without it.  My PC runs on a 1.5KW UPS.  A second UPS distributes the load for other devices.  The PC is auto-pinged by an Ethernet power controller and is automatically re-booted if it locks up and fails a periodic ping test.  So, some issues are fixed before I get to it. 

My remote site is an hour away from home; two hours with the return drive.  I can't be running up there every time some network or equipment quirk occurs.  Fortunately, it's very rare that I need to make a trip for a repair when I can access the remote PC desktop.  An identical back-up PC is pre-provisioned and sits in a box, ready to move in when needed.  

The biggest headache is keeping network traffic minimized on a Verizon 4G/LTE connection.  Every Windows update, and many applications are constantly "phoning home" when all I want from the PC is to run as a connection server and no more.  This extra and unneeded traffic can consume a lot of data bandwidth on a monthly data plan.  In fact, I have disabled all Windows updates and run the PC with absolutely no virus or malware protection of any kind.  No need too.  There's nobody there initialing outbound web traffic. A good router firewall is all I need.  The PC comes back home once a year for Windows and application updates.      

Paul, W9AC
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Paul,

In Windows Settings, I designate my PC's WiFi connection to my cellular hotspot as a "Metered" connection. This stops most of the superfluous traffic.

Best regards,

Bob
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for the Reply - I have a PC here at the remote station a well 
    and use TeamViewer when i do FT8 on my iPhone8 with the Flex6600M
    " Real Tiny Tiny Tiny Screen !! "

I found the PstRotorAZ via the link http://www.qsl.net/yo3dmu/index_Page346.htm

Rather than using TeamViewer my eyesight is pretty bad for small letters with TeamViewer and an Iphone 8 screen !

Guess once I setup the host I have to open a Port on my Router like I
    do with a RC1216H and RemoteRig Software 

Wish RemoteRig had a web based Client for iOS iPhone that would do the same and the
    RC1216H acts like a Host PC ( Allready have Two of these RC1216H Units Here ) 
    It’s PC web application works great ( Just not there for iOS app or web Based Az
    Control ), but you do need to have the host program running on the shack computer.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited September 2018
    Just got the iPhone 8 
    Guess you answered my question 

Once I setup RemoteRig RC1216H

I just access the web access IP on the
    Iphone via the Safari Brower on the iPhone 8

I think I figured it out

Mike

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited September 2018
    Bob,

That doesn't work in my case.  The Verizon router works on the cellular network but the PC connection in on wired Ethernet.  Stopping updates via Ethernet required several Windows system registry changes.

Paul, W9AC 
  • Jeff Schwartz
    Jeff Schwartz Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    FYI I am using three RC-1216H’s for my remote setup for the SteppIR, ACOM amp and Green Heron rotor. They all work well and I have no problem opening them up on my iPhone 8 Plus Safari browser by using the appropriate IP address. All are individually port forwarded through my ASUS router. Jeff / ki0kb

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.