Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDR-Bridge 1.1.0 with new SPLIT support and compatibility with SmartSDR 1.4 available for download!

Ed - W2RF
Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
There's a new release of SDR-Bridge available at http://www.qrv.com. It has new support for SPLIT operations, is compatible with SmartSDR 1.4... and beyond! The current 1.0.4 version expires on Feburary 25th, so don't delay. Download the new 1.1.0 version today. Be ready for the future of SmartSDR, and explore the new features of SDR-Bridge!

Enjoy!

73 Ed W2RF

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for your work on this Ed!
  • howard krawitz
    howard krawitz Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I don't know what this is. How do you load it into the 6500?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Ed!!
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I've just added links to Al NN4ZZ's installation and quickstart guide, and Lee W9OY's blog post on the new SPLIT function to the web page. Very useful information. Thanks to Al and Lee for the excellent work!

73 Ed W2RF
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    W2RF Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Ed I was literally telling my friend Ken W9IE last night that my only issue was the Split instability when trying to work a DXpedition in split so I have not been running CW Skimmer during K1N.
    Truth is I didn't have knads enough to make a complaint on a piece of software that is truly genius otherwise!
    Thanks again so much for what folks like you and the many others on this Flex site contribute to the advancement of what I consider to be the finest radio "ever" made.
    My 6300 is truly stable as a rock now, WOW I'm both happy and impressed.
    Had it working in about the same amount of time it took to download the update...
    73'
    de Clay N9IO, Bonfield, IL
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ed, thank you for SDR-Bridge, a truly excellent bridge to CW Skimmer. I have it running now and it runs stable, sending out spots for the RBN network.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ed, thank you for good job !
    Excellent SW !
    Can we have a chance to look for integration with DXlab and N1MM ? 
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Although SDR-Bridge itself is CAT-free, it is compatible with SmartSDR CAT.

CAT compatibility means that if you are using a CAT logger or other CAT program on Slice A and Slice B, SDR-Bridge will track what you are doing. Also if in SDR-Bridge you click a CW Skimmer spot, the CAT program will follow the click.

In the new SDR-Bridge 1.1, CAT split compatibility has been enhanced by a special option. On the Radio tab check "Split follows TX slice" to enable this compatibility. With this enabled, if you put your CAT logger in split, which makes TX switch to Slice B, SDR-Bridge notices that and makes adjustments.

The main adjustment SDR-Bridge makes in split is that it changes which slice gets CW Skimmer clicks. If you are out of split, TX is on the main Slice A, and clicks go there. However if you are in split, TX is on the split Slice B, and it receives clicks. Which is exactly what you want!

Other changes made by the SPLIT feature include altering the "Mute all but active" function so that it mutes the split slice. Also double-clicking the Stream column header changes the display to show Split slices. And there are a number of other adjustments made going in and out of split.

This adds up to full compatibility for SmartSDR with N1MM+ in a single radio dual receiver configuration. And this is true for other CAT based loggers and tools.

Lee W9OY has an excellent blog post on the new SPLIT feature at http://sdr-w9oy.blogspot.com/2015/02/a-new-dxing-gizmo-from-w2rf.html

73 Ed W2RF

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thank you Ed!
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    While I was implementing the SDR-Bridge new SPLIT feature, I tested it on K1N pileups. Here's my result from ClubLog. Worked quite well!

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nice!

Thanks for you efforts on the Bridge..

You mentioned "is compatible with SmartSDR 1.4"

can you send me the link to it ?  

:-)

Thanks,
    k3Tim

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Should have said "upcoming" (hi hi) no information on when but guess it might be soon!

It's also backwards compatible with 1.3.8 and all earlier versions of SmartSDR.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    :-)
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    There have been a couple of reports that SDR-Bridge 1.1.0.107 crashed when the radio was power cycled. If you experience this, please submit a problem report at http://www.qrv.com. Thanks!
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I just got home from a week of vacation.  Downloaded & installed the latest version of SDR-Bridge, brought it up and worked K1N on 15 CW on the first call after clicking on a spot on CW Skimmer!  Thanks, Ed!
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Great! Glad it is working for you, RIck!
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Wow Ed, I think you just blew my mind. I had thought SDR-Bridge was only a man in the middle way of connecting SSDR to Skimmer, and dismissed it because i don't run skimmer, it can do more than that cant it. 

Does it do ethernet?

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Jay,

Yes you got the picture, SDR-Bridge can do quite a bit just with the radio, no skimmer or logger required. That's expecially true now with the new SPLIT feature. Thanks for pointing it out!

If you mean by ethernet running SDR-Bridge and SmartSDR on different computers, yes you  can. If you mean running remote with the upcoming SmartSDR 1.4, yes it does!

73 Ed W2RF
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My CW Skimmer and SDR-Bridge setup and troubleshooting notes have been updated for Ed's latest version.   SDR-Bridge is now compatible with both V1.38 and the soon to be released V1.4 of SmartSDR.  

The latest version of the notes file is dated 15-Feb-2015.   There are a few new troubleshooting tips in this version as well as the updated version information. 

Also, the notes are available on my web page and anyone can access them at:

http://www.nn4zz.com/Data/NN4ZZ%20CwSkimmer%20Bridge%20setup%2015-Feb-2015.pdf

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Al!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nice Tutorial, Al!
    Question:  What is the practical difference MME vs. WDM in the Audio tab?  I seem to get better resolution with WDM.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good question Ken....maybe someone with more PC audio experience can explain it.  

Now I wonder whether it makes any difference in the CW Skimmer application.  I haven't tried switching to see if both work the same or whether it is sound card dependent.

Now we need to know (hihi).   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The default IQx.ini files are set up to use WDM. In my experience WDM is more stable and has lower latency than MME.

Just checked and on my computer WDM is smoother; MME has a slight twitch. But I was surprised that MME works as well as it does.

73 ED W2RF
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ed,
    On my PC I can't tell the difference but did some research and it backs up your comment related to latency.  Here is an excerpt from one of the postings I found.

Which One Should I Use?

For the best performance, you should use WDM and only use MME if there is no other option. 

What’s The Difference?
    The main difference is what sort of technologies each interface uses, or at least prefers. Some rely on your main processor, some off-load to the chip on your soundcard, and still some will use advanced hardware features of certain hardware.

MME (MultiMedia Extensions) is also referred to as “wave in”, “wave out”, or “mmsystem” and is the oldest and “dumbest” of the contenders. It was introduced way back with Windows 3.0! It is still around as a fallback, because all sound cards and applications can talk to it, which is a huge benefit. The primary downside is that it is very inefficient, having the most latency of any of the technologies. Another issue is that it is limited to a 16 bit audio depth and 44.1 kHz sample rate. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good information. But although it says 44.1khz is max, I was able to connect MME to DAX IQ at 192khz. For what it's worth...
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ed,
    I read some other articles and got the impression MME internally samples at 44.1 khz but the I/O can be at a higher rate.  That may explain some of the jittering and sampling issues.

Of course I could be misinterpreting the docs....but bottom line, MME is older and less capable as you noted.   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the clarification!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    AL, here is a tidbit for your help file...
    I have several times moved from two-slice split to single slice split with XIT and the "Green Box" and triangle marker would not follow correctly.  Toggling the TX on slice 'A' off and on restored the function.  It seems that Skimmer loses track of it when certain changes are made.  

I am still learning how to make best use of Skimmer.  I have done almost all of my W1AW/p and DXing without it so far, but I tried it on the 160 CW contest and found it helpful, as too the K1N DXpedition.  
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken,

When SDR-Bridge switches in and out of split, the green box is not being moved accordingly. This will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for the report!

73 ED W2RF
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    SDR-Bridge 1.1.1 is now available for download at http://www.qrv.com. Features new integration of SPLIT with DIV (diversity), improved synchronization, and bug fixes. Thanks for the feedback.

Enjoy!

73 ED W2RF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.