Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SCU REPLACEMENT by user? Will Flex ever consider this option?

Gerald
Gerald Member ✭✭
SCU REPLACEMENT by user
Will Flex ever consider developing user replaceable SCUs? . It would be so nice to ship one of the 6600's SCUs back or just dispose of it and order another. This process would minimize down time. I have had a series of radios in which some small component deep in the radio breaks and the radio in total needs to be sent back to the company for a time consuming costly repair cycle. This process is analogous to an automobile needing to be shipped back to the factory to replace a tire. Now that all my radios have failed and were all irreparable, I hesitate in buying a new one to go through the the repair cycle again.
We amateurs are our own worst enemy. We are a small user group who requests more and more features into smaller and smaller boxes for cheaper and cheaper prices. This request forces the manufactures to look for some shop who'll make a small number of components/modules under these restrictive requirements. Then, once a better project comes up, they move on leaving the user with an repairable radio. One fellow ham suggested that if one wants to stay on the air, buy two radios. When one fails, just dispose of it and buy another. User replaceable SCUs would go a long way to mitigate this issue. Jerry KD6ET

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Because the new radios are modular the SCU is on a board that can be changed out.
    But after changing out that board, if the radio needs calibrations done this can only be done on the bench at Flex.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I am betting we could calibrate our radios if Flex released the procedures.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That will never happen. It is much more than procedures. There is software deleloped for calibration that only Flex has. With out the custom electronics and software it can not be done in the field.
  • Gerald
    Gerald Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    My question was: Will Flex ever consider this option? Otherwise it's better to buy two 6400s to stay on the air when one is mailed back to Texas.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.