Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Screensaver

Jean Drolet
Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in New Ideas
Fonction for screensaver for the Maestro and the new 6400M and 6600M
6 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Due to the type of display used, burn-in is not a concern.
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    TIm  It is only to not see our screen turned on for no reason .. I leave my Maestro in function often several hours without the used so why not turn off the screen like an iPhone or a computer
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    I didn't say we would not consider it, just saying it isn't necessary from a burn-in standpoint.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jean, on a slightly different angle I am hoping that when the get multi-client going they will add "metering" to the display when running with SmartSDR. Voltage, temps, power, SWR, etc.

But the screensaver or going blank after "x" amount of time sounds like a good idea to me too. My favorite radio (7800) before Flex ruined me for other brands did this :)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The Flex meter and FRstacks already do that. Metering.
    One thing I would like to see is a mic limiter to be added to the mic level adjustment.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    They may but I really don't want to give up any more digital monitor space than I have to.

Why not use the beautiful 1920x1200 display in the radio?  I have no doubt that Steve Hicks and crew can come up with something way cooler than FRstacks and Flex Meter :)
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    "metering" to the display when running with SmartSDR. Voltage, temps, power, SWR, etc."

YES YES YES, this would be awesome and super useful.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The idea is when you are operating an “M” model radio when you are controlling from PC, Maestro, Ipad ect. The built in display in the radio with show “Voltage, temps, power, SWR, etc” on the built in display.
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It would be cool to have a DX-cluster as a "screensaver" on the Maestro...
  • iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    But how is it possible to think of such trivialities, when then there is so much lacking that even economic radios have already standard, let's concentrate on essential functions .... do not be trivial in requests, do nothing but distract FRS from the commitments it has taken with we taxpayers.
  • David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Despite what is said in this thread, all monitors can experience burn in.  The ICOM 7610 owners are going through that right now...and ironically they have a screen saver option.  Can you imagine what it would be like without it.  Glad I didn't buy that radio...
    I think either a screen saver or screen blanker would be a good idea.  I'm thinking of the time I want to keep my 6400M turned on for a vacation I'm taking to work remote and it could be left on for days.  I see there is an advanced monitor settings that I can access from the 6400M that opens an Intel program, wonder if it's in there and I missed it or maybe it could be added.  This can't be too hard.
    David K9RUF
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I agree, its a simple thing to implement. I truly think the reason they havent added this no brainer is because they are working on multi-client and something different will be done their.
    I temp fix would be nice. 

• David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Rich for the reply.  At first I was thinking of a work around of installing an IP switch to turn on and off the radio remotely.  I use this with my Echolink, and Fusion repeater/WiresX PC but I remembered they have an auto boot up from power up option in their bios to do that.  Yours truly still has to press the power button on the from of the Flex.  Maybe they could add that feature to their firmware...  :)

These are the guys I use and they work great and from an app on your phone too!
    https://3gstore.com/product/7755_single_outlet_remote_power_switch_app_controlled.html

• Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2018
    This is feature request #3688.  It is not assigned to a milestone at this time.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Like what, I'm not missing anything
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    With this kind on screen, burn in is very remote, it is not an issue.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    simply put a cardboard in front of the screen,,fixed.
  • David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    OK well while not a scientific test I did leave my Flex 6400M turned on for an entire week while on vacation so I could have access to it remotely.  Here is the result:  no burn in or image retention.  I was reluctant to do it since i didn't want to hurt my new friend, but he survived.  So what they say is true as conditioned as we are for the need to have a screen saver.  I can now take that worry off my worry list. :)
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would like to see the Blue screen that come up when the 6400 is booted up, the one with the Flex swoosh. It would be nice to have it displayed when the radio is 'in use' or connected remotely.
  • K4SOW
    K4SOW Member ✭✭

Burn in may very well not be an issue with this type of screen, but there are many types of operators and just as many ways of operating, so why take a chance?

It's not uncommon for me to flip on a couple of rigs when I awake in the AM. One is the 9700 Icom and my 6400M... I fix breakfast an hour or 2 later and sometimes get back to the shack usually noon or so... Then spatratic times through the day and often a couple of hours in the evening... It always adds up to 14 to 16 hours a day of on time, but most of that time it's just sitting there waiting on me to wander by give a listen.

It get's old rebooting the Flex 6 or 8 times a day just to power down the display so I usually just leave it on. I know I could use the 7610 Icom as it's just sitting there, ready to go with just a flip of the antenna switch and does sport a screen blanker... I had just rather use the Flex...

• K9YK
    K9YK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    > @"Tim - W4TME" said:
    > Due to the type of display used, burn-in is not a concern.

Burn in may not be a problem, but image retention on my 6400M is a real thing after being in SmartControl mode for a good 24 hours.

Adding my voice to those asking for a simple screen saver or at least screen blanking after some period of time.
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭

Indeed just being able to have the radio with the black screen would be really nice

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.