Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Scanner Function

k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
With FM mode now operational and SWL bands sounding even better with SAM, a scanning app would be handy.  Whereas a memory feature (frequencies / filter settings etc) is now implemented a scanner should not be to difficult to pull together.  Are all the required pieces in the callable API?
Is anyone working on this?

Comments

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hmm, no squelch in AM mode. Would this matter?
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, the squelch really needs to work in ALL of the voice modes.  Maybe in one of the next updates???
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    HRD can scan.  SmartSDR can not have a scan feature added.  It violates a **** FCC rule that applies to SDR's.   PowerSDR had the same limitation. 
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Can you provide a link to this **** FCC rule? my initial scan revealed rules about only scanning US frequencies and these rules were to qualify for some kind of SDR grant.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Squelch not so a show stopper as a dwell on an AM SWL station for n-seconds is fine by me.

Alternatively an app could mute the sound channel until a signal is above a selected S-meter reading. 
    Scanning 6 and 2 meter FM was the main concept.  AM-SWL was thrown in the mix.

----
    'OZY:
    Thanks for the information about Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) although search for "scan" didn't turn up much in the manual.  

An interesting program for sure...

FCC Rule - Couldn't find it either.  As far as I know the Cell lock out of frequencies is pretty much useless these days as the analog-FM is gone.
    _..--
    TiM
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I'll let Steve or someone from FRS respond with the exact area the FCC says that.   I asked this back in the PowerSDR days and they told me that.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

The FCC rule is not in Part 97, but applies to the type certification of receivers with scanning capability.  Flex could include a scanning feature, BUT that would require that each model of radio go through the certification process EVERY time they changed the software.

Look for a new version of my SDRMemory6k software in a couple of weeks.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Happy to hear about the new version of SDRMemory6K Ray. The CWU mode keeps reverting back to CWL.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Are you perhaps saving this into a profile?  CWU / CWL changes would be captured there.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I will be saving memories to my own data file, but the data stored will be identical to the data stored in the SmartSDR memory object. Therefore you will have the capability to in export/import memories to/from the memories stored in the radio.. There is only "CW" mode available to the memory object. Therefore you will still be at the mercy of the global CWU & CWL setting in SmartSDR.
    73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I'm not sure I understand Ray. When I set the global CW mode to CWU in the "Settings" menu, the CW mode always reverts back to CWL after using any of my CW buttons that I created with the slice in the CWU mode. Is there another was to set the CW mode to remain CWU other than thru the "Settings" Menu?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    You are connected to a CAT enabled application that is resetting the CW mode to CWL.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the insight into my problem, Tim. If I am interpreting Ray's post correctly, his memory program does not carry CWL or CWL data, so it sounds like his program can't be resetting the Globally defined CWU mode back to CWL. I'm not aware of any other CAT program being used at the moment, so I am baffled as to what is happening. I'm also wondering why no one else has posted the same problem since there are a lot of us using Ray's program.

This resetting does not happen with the USB/LSB modes during band changes using Ray's program, only with the CWL/CWU modes. And, it only started after updating to v1.4, so somehow that must be a factor . Crazy, huh?
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Charles,

My current SDRMemory6k program (version 1.0) is a kludge of my old SDRMemory program for PowerSDR.  It was a quick fix because I wanted a program to provide favorites buttons for my 6700.  It is NOT a god program, just barely adequate.  It does use CAT to talk to SmartSDR, & Tim is right -- it is probably telling SmartSDR to use CWL. 

I am now working on a new SDRMemory6k program that will be designed to work with SmartSDR from the git go.  Please ignore any issues with SDRMemory6k v1.0.  Version 2.0 will be MUCH better.

73, Ray, K9DUR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.