Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sales Tax Question

K5XH
K5XH Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier

The Supreme Court ruling on sales tax could be implemented in weeks - according to the news I hear. Will I have to pay sales tax on my PGXL when it become available? It has been on order since 2017 Dayton. I am assuming that I would be charged the tax. I would consider paying the balance in advance if it would save me the tax!

73, Mark K5XH

Best Answer

Answers

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Excellent question. It would be nice to be grandfathered in, but my guess is that any monies changing hands after the date of the new law will be taxed. Hopefully Flex will allow you to pay in full now, including shipping.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Talk to FRS directly as the ruling did NOT come with guidance. the ruling may have no effect in your particular transaction at this time. Or anytime soon even. One of my accountant buddies sent me this link: http://www.bakertilly.com/insights/su... Remember avoiding taxes is wise but evasion is **** & criminal. A lot of states put consumers on the honor system to volunteer to pay taxes on out of state purchases and may pursue blatant disregard of rules. YMMV but I aim to pay one dollar more in taxes I actually owe each year so I can wear the white hat and ride the high ground. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Will Gladly will pay the remaining balance for my PGXL now which was ordered in June 2017 
    Michael at FRS call me !
    73 Mike
    WB6DJI
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mark - good question.  Please let us know what you find out.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    You need to call Sales during normal business hours yourself regarding your order.  Thank you.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    That's a helpful link, showing once again that government by fiat leads to a big mess.  In the absence of Federal legislation (always a good bet), you will need to get local (in-state) advice on what your tax liabilities will be.   Maybe there will be a $100K safe harbor, or maybe not.  (You may need to move to Montana or somewhere where Flex has little business!)

It's bad news for smaller companies who have to figure out 50 different tax arrangements.  Hopefully, we customers won't have to pay tax unless we are billed by Flex.  As Steve suggests, some of us already are on the hook to pay self-reported  "Use Tax" on out of state purchases.  Few of us have pure white hats on this matter!
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Easy access to state and local tax by zip code for the smallest mom and pop shop via software.  Been that way (previously via CD) for decades.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Someone is going to get rich collecting tax payments for small businesses and submitting the paperwork nightmare returns to each state, city and county. The one saving grace of the decision seems to require a threshold belowwich small business is exempt.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    A few thoughts/notes: 1) Only 45 states collect sales taxes 2) The SCOTUS decision only says that states can collect sales taxes from out of state retailers, it will be up to each state to implement that process 3) I expect most states will decide to implement sales taxes on our-of-state purchases, but it will have to work it's way through your state gov't before being implemented. 4) This strikes me as a bad decision, since it obligates a business that has decided not to locate in a particular state to still be obligated to operate under the laws of that state they choose not to do business in, but this isn't a political forum.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.