Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Safe amp tx

W1MSG
W1MSG Member ✭✭
Will it be safe to connect the Palstar LA-1K directly to the TX connection on a 6400? I have always used the 704 buffer with my HF-2500 and just ordered the Palstar LA-1K to go along with my HF-Auto tuner for automated remote use. Just not sure if it would be Ok to connect them directly for keying up the amp. 
Craig
W1MSG

Answers

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    That's the station here except that I have the 6700. Thousands of QSO's later with no issues at all. I have no buffer between the LA-1K and radio.
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks John, I guess I am just over cautious since I cooked a key relay in my Icom a few years ago .. Cant wait to get the amp up and running. Should be here tomorrow ! 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have been running my LA-1k with the 6600. No issues at all.
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    How do you guys like the LA-1K ? Do you set your Flex radios for a lower max out put to keep from over driving the amp ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What is the down side to adding more saftey in case something goes wrong?. A buffer is cheap insurance.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I like the amp and have had no issues with it. The fan is not as quiet as I would like and the keying relay is noisy. Pretty basic amp but does everything pretty well.
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    True, but if not needed why use it. Its just extra wires and another powered item on the desk.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You never need it if nothing ever goes wrong,,your right..
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes I do. I have the flex set at 50w max which is about 45 watts on several bands. Since I am running the amp off of 120v right now, that is more than enough. I love the amp and it works very well. I run it all day long driving it with 2 or 3 watts on FT8 producing up to around 75 watts out. If more is needed, a couple of clicks and I can quickly double the power to make the QSO then drop it back down. The specs state it can handle 500 watts out on RTTY. Sure it can do more, but I tested them specs last weekend in the rtty test. I ran it for hours at a time with no issues. In short, staying within the specs, the amp can out last me in a contest.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.