Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

S meter with version 2.3.7

Paul  KB3ML
Paul KB3ML Member ✭✭
After installing Version 2.3.7 in my 6600M, the S Meter and pan display is out of calibration.  
Ex:  a -62dbm on the pan display shows an S9+10db on the bar graph.

The bar graph never indicates below S6 without an antenna connected. 

I performed multiple cold boots as well as a factory reset boot with no change.  

One of the impressive features of the Flex is their superb accurate display. 

Finally, I had to  downgrade to Version 2.2.8 which returned calibration to normal.  

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.  

73,  Paul

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Paul....  I went and checked it out and yes there is a strong hysteresis but the S Level does change on my 6700 with the lastest software.  Thanks for the heads up. I thought at firs that it was "Stuck" but no it seems to be working.
    73,Richard
  • W8WD
    W8WD Member
    edited May 2019
    Paul,
    I had a similar observation. With a dummy load connected to the radio the spectrum scope at the tuned frequency was about -125dbm but the S-meter is reading S5.

Brian/W8WD
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As far as the S meter is concerned, keep in mind that the meter reflects the receiver bins being sampled all the time. Even without an antenna connected the bins are sampled within the radio and show a reading on the S meter.

I should also add that rolling back to an older version unless there is something preventing the radio from working is a BAD idea. It is always best to keep with the latest version.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    Making the RX filter width smaller will show the S meter reading decrease because as Bill indicated, the S meter is reading the integrated RF power within the receivers defined passband.
  • Paul  KB3ML
    Paul KB3ML Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    This may be an easier way to explain what I'm seeing.  Yes, changing filter band width will change the noise floor but not calibration.  

With your Service Monitor, apply a -73dbm (50uv) level to the radio.  
            Software Version 2.2.8 shows:
            S9 and -73dbm on S meter
            -73dbm on pan display

Software Version 2.3.7 shows:
            S9 + 10db and -62db
            -80dbm on the pan display

73,  Paul

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Good documentation Paul I think you made a good catch there.
  • Edward Armstrong-WB2K
    edited June 2018
    Hi Tim I noticed this last night and V2.37.110 not only does the S meter read higher the receiver is extremely noisy I tried playing with the filters does not get rid of the noise I have never seen this in any other release I took screenshots and I will send them to you.you will see the noise floor stays the same but the S meter will read higher on the new release with a lot more noise hopefully they will fix this soon because there is no way I can use the new release the way it is with the new release the 6600 is the noisiest receiver I have much noisier than even my flex 5000 So I went back to v2.28.109 and theimageimage radio is quiet again.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2018
    I have consolidated the comments and entered this issue into our bug tracker as issue #6448 for further investigation.
  • W8WD
    W8WD Member
    edited June 2018
    Tim, Understood, thank you for your comments. Using a HP8656B generator I found that the panadapter is accurate, the reported S-meter reading don't follow the IARU table. The following is measurement data for your reference.

Thanks!
    Brian/W8WD
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I see this has been declared "not a problem", has it not been issued a bug tracker number?
    I checked my 6400M with the Elecraft XG1 signal generator and S9, 50 mV was right on.  
    Of course using 2.3.7 version.  Only a 6600 issue?

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Brian

Did you get those S meter reading using a 500 Hz filter bandwidth in SmartSDR?
    IARU specifies a 500 Hz filter width. wider filters would read higher S units.

Just curious.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My 6400M seems to be right on too. I don't have signal source to verify but I do not see it on mine.Running stand alone. I wonder if it is the same on the second SCU?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2018
    That was an oversight that has been corrected
  • W8WD
    W8WD Member
    edited July 2018
    Jay, Thank you for your feedback.  I ran the test with 400HZ bandwidth using my Maestro, I will re-run the test at 500Hz and publish the results.

Brian/W8WD
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    My 6600 was just returned with the PEN update. I ran the radio this morning (very poor conditions) with v2.3.7 and v2.1.33 on 40 meters just a few minutes apart. My noise floor is usually around S6 on an elevated 40m vertical.   With v2.3.7 and v.2.1.33 the noise floor was approximately -108 dbm on the vertical scale, but on the same frequency with no signal the S units are nearly 9 with v2.3.7 and approximatley 6.5 with v2.1.33.  I also noticed that while operating with v2.3.7 the vertical -dbm scale is at substantial variance (weaker) with the S meter, typically 15-20 -dbm. 

imageimage

Larry KB1VFU

• Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    So, is this situation a bug (to be addressed later) or not?  My 6600 with no antenna or a dummy load connected shows an S-meter reading of 6 whereas with version 2.2.8 the reading was 4.  Yes, I have read previous explanation on why an S-4 reading is to be expected, even with no antenna connected.

Life sure has changed for us guys who have been licensed for almost 55 years when standard operating procedure was to disconnect the antenna and set the little **** for S-0.
  • Edward Armstrong-WB2K
    edited June 2018
    Hi I don't usually post a lot here but a few of us have tested 6600s and forgetting about the  S meter and listen to the receiver SET the AGC T to 28 or 30 and listen and then go back to earlier version of smart SDR and you will here the difference 2.3.7 is much noisier you will see with the higher S meter reading comes noise.

I will wait until they fix this do not care a lot about the S meter but from a quiet receiver to what it is now Drives me up the wall like I stated much noisier than even a flex 5000.

Ed   WB2K
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Nothing is changed on my 6500.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This seems like a 6600 issue. I wonder if those that have a 6600 have checked both SCUs to see if the noise level is as high on the second SCU.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    We will know more soon as Flex is looking into this now.
  • bh8asz
    bh8asz Member
    edited July 2018
    Follow with interest
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2018
    This defect #6448, which only effects the FLEX-6600 and FLEX-6600M will be fixed in the next release of SmartSDR.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    didnt you mean 6600M Tim?
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited July 2018
    Howdy -- here's the deal here: the S-meter is off by several dB in v2.3.7 for only the FLEX-6600 and FLEX-6600M.  We discovered the issue shortly after release and plan to issue an update soon to fix this.  It is only an offset, meaning the s-meter and panadapter will read higher than they actually are (I believe the amount is around 7dB), but it is only an offset in the amplitude and does not affect performance in any way.

Please remember that you cannot compare noise read on the S-meter in the slice receiver and the panadapter noise floor because of the different bandwidths of receivers used in the slice receiver (filter) and the FFT bin bandwidth (unless they are the same based on a zoom level).
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2018
    Yes, it was a typo that has been corrected.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    As always, a prompt and effective response.  Thank you.

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited July 2018
    Actually, this problem is ONLY on the FLEX-6600 and FLEX-6600M, not the FLEX-6400(M)
  • Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    OK on the issue and the official responses.  I think what is needed is a software switch to allow operator selection of how the S Meter works and responds.  S meters have been around for many decades.  Irregardless of how Flex chooses to implement the S meter, please allow the end user to modify how it operates to make the S meter work as if it were in a traditional analog receiver.  50 uv makes S9, add 30 db of preamp and it should read S9 plus 30, with 0 db of preamp it should read S0 with no antenna connected.  It doesn't matter to me that the S meter circuitry is reading empty FFT bins or not, please make it so the S meter works like it does in a Collins, Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu receiver.  It is nice to say this radio is the perfect spectrum analyzer and so forth, and that is indeed nice, just incorporate a switch setting so the S meter can also work as in a historical relative indication mode.  Thank you!  Hurrahs please!  ??
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    What you are asking is for Flex to make a meter to reflect the very inaccurate and vintage meters. So it has to fake what is reads.
    Welcome to the high tech of Flex radio. The way the meters work is a reflection of how direct sampling works.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.