Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

rx pre-amp

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
it sure is nice to have a pre amp available on the low bands, with low gain, directional receiving antennas...one more external box i can get rid of...

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    They are nice to have, but if you use them on the low bands it will degrade the SNR. Unless you are in a very quiet location (and most of us are not), you should only need to add RF preamp gain on 12 10 and 6m. Refer to this Community post by Gerald. http://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/when_do_i_need_to_use_the_flex_6000_rf_preamp
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    indeed...without a good preamp..many of the RX only antennas just wouldnt play on the lowbands or anywhere else. Since I know Dan is an avid Lowbander and gives a good endorsement to the internal preamp of the Flex (must have very low self generated noise?) I was happy to see his post.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have used the 6500 enough by now to know that with an efficient antenna, the preamp is rarely necessary, However, with an inefficient antenna it is more likely that using the preamp would be benificial.. An inefficient antenna likely means that the inefficiency is also applied to the potentially overloading signals as well as the desired signals. ( and, of course, to the transmit signal ). Two cents worth. AL, K0VM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.