Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RX a bit deaf??

Options
Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Yesterday after work I finally had a chance to work VU7AG on 14.260MHz. I listened with the yagi aimed SP and nothing heard. Changed to LP and I could tell they were there but not very readable. I had to turn the threshold way up AND turn on 20dB of preamp to finally be able to hear them enough for a contact. Normally I would never need any preamp on 20 and the threshold set to around 65. Anyone else notice a need for the additional gain on 20M? I can see on 15M and higher but not on 20. This is for the 6700. Tnx and 73 Greg AB7R

Answers

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Greg, I worked them on several bands and my RF Gain was set to 0 (zero). Perhaps, band condition were different during the time you worked them. F6.7K - 7 el beam and barefoot.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thanks Ernest. I couldn't even hear them SP. Most likely just the prop gods intervention. :) Was glad to finally get them at least once. Seems like when I can get on the air in the evenings they are already off....or at least not getting any spots that I can see. 73 Greg
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The 6700 isn't deaf! VU7AG is a challenging path from the West Coast and their signals have been uniformly weak. They are doing the best they can but given the path and distance involved, signals are way down. The minimum discernible signal on the 6700 is excellent and likely limited at any location by band noise level - by quite a margin! Stu K6TU
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Greg, I worked the VU7 on 40m and 20m both CW and SSB on the first or second call SP and 0dB added.... And on 17m SSB 0dB added there as well.... Using 6500, Alpha 87A and 3ele SteppIR at 80'. So far my 6500 hears better than any of my other rigs. My experience has been if LP is all that's open then conditions are lousy... Dennis, k0eoo

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.