Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RX Tab Filter Selections Not Ideal

Doug Hall
Doug Hall Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've had my Flex-6300 for a month now and continue to enjoy it immensely. SmartSDR has been stable and easy to use. But I've noticed that the filter selections in the RX tab (which are a subset of the selections in the slice menu) are not ideal, at least not for my operating. I dug through this forum and found that I'm not the only one who has questioned this:
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/cw_filter_widths_in_the_rx_display_tab_250_is_missi...

But I never saw an official response regarding this thread. While not a bug I think this is a deficiency, and I'm wondering if there are any plans to address it down the road? Ideally I'd like to be able to define my own filters and save them, but at the very least it seems I should be able to select which subset of the standard filters appear in the RX tab.

I know I can adjust the filter bandwidth by dragging the edges, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

Apologies if this has been addressed already and i missed it, but I couldn't find a definitive statement about it.

Doug K4DSP

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SmartSDR currently lacks the ability to store user defined filters - its in the system as an enhancement request I believe.

In the meantime, if you have an iPad, the K6TU Control iPad app lets you create user specified filters by mode for both receive and transmit.  These can be saved in profiles on the iPad that allow filters by mode to be specified for different operating configurations.

More on the iPad app is here:

http://k6tu.net/ipad/k6tucontrol.html

Stu K6TU
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Doug,
    I posted the idea you referenced about a year ago.  It only has 5 votes so far and I don't remember seeing any response from FRS about addressing this request.   

Tim,
    Can you see if this is indeed in the enhancement list?   Maybe if we get a few more votes it will get some priority as one of the "buff and polish" fixes for V1.5

I still think it make sense to have filters more appropriate for the mode (CW in this case).  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Thanks, Stu. I hear good things about your app. And I know that it does far more than just filter selection. Alas, I am not an iOS user. (My wife loves her iPad but it's never apart from her long enough to be of any use to me :-)) I could press an Arduino w/Ethernet shield or a Raspberry Pi into service with buttons wired up to select filters as well, or I could dust off my Java skills (ick!) and write an Android app, but it seems a shame to me to add additional hardware to do what (arguably) should be in the SmartSDR application itself.
    Doug K4DSP

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is on the list

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RTTY filters too please, just as important to many of us.
    The Flex has made RTTY operation seriously "fun" again.
    To think I was happy once upon a time with my model 19 asr.
    I'm really not that old, ha...
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Clay,
    Agree and there is also another idea for the RTTY filters in case you want to add your vote.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/twin_peak_filters_for_rtty

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.