Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rural Mode Needed for V2.0 SSSR for slow Internet users < 500Kbytes/sec for Remote Control

2»

Comments

• LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Howard,

Thanks for the suggestion and was wondering what outside antenna you used and other equipment you used or was needed?  Comments welcome.

Larry ke2yc
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

We travel a great deal internationally.  So when I do not have a land based WIFI Connection, I use an unlocked Huawei 4G Hotspot Model E5377TS-32

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URJZINS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

$129 on Amazon

and local SIM Cards from whatever country I am currently in. 

You can easily find local SIMS everywhere.

I find that using SmartSDR for iOS that I consume about 1GB an hour... yes I can likely consume less by cutting down display rates etc, but I like to go full bore when I have a good 4G signal...However many times and countries it drops down to 3G so you have to eliminate most of the visual displays.

Cost: If you are using a Local Country SIM... about €8 (USD$8.50) per GB

DO NOT USE ANY AMERICAN CARRIERS INTERNATIONAL ROAMING PLAN.

A typical AT&T International Roaming "DEAL" will rob you for about $150 per GB

So you can easily pay for the hotspot and a couple of GB of Data if bring your own.

Needless to say it would save a lot of money if there was less data consumption

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    On my last international trip to Seoul I used a local sim from kt/olleh which came with free wifi on the metro and in a lot of other places. In fact I hardly used my data allowance at all. They have wifi literally everywhere in Seoul and points beyond.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Larry –

Here are the directional dual band antenna, cable, and cable to pigtail adapter I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DV4JTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018PVVBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZIESE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally a MIFI 6620L pigtail like this one (I don’t recall the exact one I bought):

https://www.amazon.com/Novatel-Wireless-Verizon-External-Connector/dp/B00P7Z2NNU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8...

If you do a search on 6620L on Amazon you’ll find many other alternatives, including a complete external antenna kit.  The dual band (3G/4G) antenna is on a mast attached to the side of the house with brackets.   I oriented the antenna using the MIFI 6620L web management site to determine direction of cell tower with strongest signal. 

One caution for anyone using an external antenna with a 6620L(or maybe other) hotspot:  The 6620L antenna port is very fragile.  Within a couple months of connecting my antenna the port became intermittent.  After replacing the MIFI, I mounted the MIFI in a small plastic box box with double sided tape, and drilled holes in the box for the antenna cable and charging cable, secured the cables with grommets to prevent movement, and have not had any problems since (except the data use overage charges of course, grrrrr...). 

Howard

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Wow, this discussion really digressed from the original question. :)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Wow, pages and I didn't see one maybe you're not a good candidate for a 6000. No, not saying it's the radios fault, it's an internet intensive radio. If it's more important than you locality, move or forgo wan.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

I can't to get it to go any lower. This is Local Lan though.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    So true. The USA is so backward and so much more expensive to get data than many countries.
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Howard,

Thank you for the info.  It is great and will do some research and cost.  I have a 40 ft tower I can put antenna on and I think that will do the trick.  Tnx again.  Will let you know how it works out.

Larry ke2yc
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I found cellular pricing about the same. However it came with fast wifi which helped me save data on the plan. 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sure wish I had this at home! maybe I'll setup my station here at work.image
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Glad to help, Larry.  Let me know how it turns out and if you have more questions about my antenna setup.  My email addr is on QRZ.

Howard
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    All

To show just how critical your router is on this, on my Bell Canada supplied Sagecom router, I get

18 down and 7 up.  However the Buffer Bloat is an A.  That isn't too bad.

I changed out that Router for my Astaro/Sophos router and my BB goes to A+

Impressive.  I'm very pleased with this.

Mike va3mw

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Often cheap consumer routers have not so powerful SoCs with very little RAM so they are struggling just to keep up. When Verizon started deploying FiOS (fiber to the home service) people would lock up their routers if they ran bittorrent. They installed a lousy actiontec router which they actually tied into the whole VOD system in a convoluted mess. It worked fine for basic web browsing but do anything that requires a lot of states and the router would lock up. I would imagine the bufferbloat issues are similar since the small routers don't have the horsepower to adequately perform traffic management. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.