Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

running two Flex 6500's on the same network?

Simon Lewis
Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hey All

Well I bought a second Flex 6500 ... yeah I know!  

Thanks to Marc VE2OLM I gained a second Flex 6500 for EME work :)

Quick question is ...

I saw messages from a year or so ago about two flex 6Ks on the same PC was not available ... is that still the case?

Also two Flex 6K's on the same network but different PC's was OK but needed a filter file with the serial number of the PC you want to connect to?  But .. can you run a PC and then select which of the two you want to select to use?? Will you see both Flex radios on the same PC or you need to choose PC A to Radio A .... PC B to radio B?

Bit confused!

Any help be much appreciated :)

Cheers

Simon Zl4PLM

Answers

• N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You should be able to run two instances of SDR, that should work.  Other then that you can run a VM with flex installed on it. Buy a second PC or buy a Apple IMAC and run everything off the mac with Parallels or the new flex interface dogparkSDR.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Mac .... hmm think not .... I work for a MS Gold Partner ;)  I don't know what one of those computers ' for mummies and daddies' is :)

I think I will add an intel Nuk type box as a silent PC for SSDR use with N1MM etc

Cheers

• N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Then you don't know much about MAC.  I have been in the IT business for 30 years, I know all about MS ****.  Parallels for MAC will put any intel box to shame on a IMAC.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll second that.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2018
    Here are the current rules for multiple radio use on the same LAN.

1.) You cannot run two instances of SmartSDR on the same PC.
    2.) You cannot connect two GUI clients (one that creates and manipulates panadapters) to the same radio
    3.) You can use a "filter" file to allow only a specific 6000 to connect to Flex API applications running on a PC.

To run two 6000s at the same time, you will need to use a 2nd PC and a filter file to ensure the correct 6000 is connecting to all API based programs on that PC, like CAT and DAX.
  • KD4HSO
    KD4HSO Member
    edited October 2015
    Huh?  How can a VM running Windows on native Intel hardware be faster than Windows running directly on said native hardware?  I prefer Linux anyway.

I received my 6500 on Monday and it's running great on a  i7 NUC, 4k monitor, and Windows 10.  Four panadapters put the CPU load at 68%
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Like I said, IMAC!
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    HI  Tim

I think it may put on the pride list to have 2 radio on same PC and instance of SmartSDR
    this have much more advantage for VHF+ guy  to run 2 radio on a single PC
    that now whit need 2 PC

in the mean time i chose to switch to a 6700  but still think that 6500 whit a 6300 was better solution  ;-)  or like Simon 2 x 6500 

Best 73!   Marc VE2OLM
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes I agree - having now added a 6500 to my 6300 I would like to hook up both radios to my 2x6 port remote auto antenna switch and be able to do so2r on Hf and VHF contests but only using one ssdr client - is this a possible improvement that flex would consider implementing in a future release Tim?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Is it possible?  Yes.  But we have no near term plans to provide multi-radio access in SmartSDR.  SO2R is usually provided by external hardware that deals with the input (mic/key/soundcard) and output (speaker/headphones) switching and transmit interlock to prevent simultaneous transmit.  With the SO2R interface we will be releasing in 2016, you will be able to do SO2R using a single 6500 or 6300.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Is that provided that the connected antenna covers both bands being worked in SO2R?

• Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Thanks Tim - glad I bought the 6500 now and the 6300 can be used for /p contesting. Looking forward to the so2r interface coming out
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I too would like to see a single instance of SSDR controlling multiple flex SS rigs. It appears though a single 6700 will effectively get me that sooner. Correct ?
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim I assume you can run seperate computers with the 6500's running direct connection(not going through the network)??
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think I asked Greg's question a while back when the new SO2R controller was discussed and the answer was yes - only one antenna.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't expect to see a version of SmartSDR that can control multiple radios any time soon.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You can run multiple radios on the same LAN connected to different PCs as well as doing it via a direct connect.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

And maybe two radios on one PC that has dual Ethernet ports???

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Why?
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

It was really a question :)  two instances of SSDR for two radios at same time.  Each with a different antenna....??

:)

I know...I'm tired and not making any sense today.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    SmartSDR only allows a single instance of itself to run on a PC
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Ok thanks
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tim,

just about to set up my second Flex at my station, today a 6700 and adding a 6500.

Plan is to use two PC, one for each radio. If I understand your answer correct I need a "filter" file. I might be ****, but what kind of file or program is that? and do I need one on each PC? 

Cat 6 switched network, 10/100/1000 Mbps with internal router. Having network set to DHCP, thinking of setting fixed IP for the radios. Any advantage or is it neccessary with fixed IP when running two radios?

What about the Maestro then, will it connect to any of the radios, the one I chose?

• Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just to add to previuos ..  I have already SSDR with CAT and DAX installed on both PC. With only the 6700 attached on the network I can switch without any problem betwen PC's and run the 6700.

PC's are both running W10Pro and fully updated. SSDR 2.2.8 on both PC's as well.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Is SSDR 2.4.9 ready to manage 2 radios simultaniously today or ...?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Not yet. This is an up coming feature, multi client.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.