Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running JTDX and WSJT-X simmulataneously?

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
JTDX is a new version of JT65 program that seems to be able to decode JT65 much better than WSJT-X V1.7

http://www.qrz.lt/ly3bg/JTDX/jtdx.html

Since I am into comparative testing,

The only real way to get an accurate comparison of WSJT-X vs JTDX is to run an instance of Both programs at the same time on the same band. Basically two slices on the same frequency which is easy to do with the Flex.

As you are aware Flex 6700 is a multi-slice receiver capable of receiving 8 simultaneous digital signals. 

I have successfully run multiple simultaneous instances of WSJT on the same and different bands with no issues or conflicts

I have successfully run multiple simultaneous instances of JTDX on the same and different bands with no issues or conflicts

However when I try to run an instance of WSJT-X and JTDX at the same time the programs seem to hang at decode time.   

Any suggestions or ideas?

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Brought this up to Igor and he doesn't know why either. Think if you start JTDX first and then WSJT-X might work, I gave up after Igor didn't have an answer. Have seen as many as 61 decodes on 20M with JTDX
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A guess - since they are the same decode engine, you might want to try loading WSJT-x with a command line option like you would for a second rig. If I understand correctly, the JTDX app uses more aggressive decoding parameters, which allows for more decodes of weak signals, but with less probability of accuracy. While not exactly the same, you can get a similar effect in WSJT-X by adjusting the advanced settings some.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    First thing I tried.. did not work
    But glad to hear that others have this issue
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    George
    Good ideas... will give them a try

on the surface JTDX seems to be able to decode many more signal than WSJT

BUT in order for the really weak guys (-25 or worse)  to hear me, i have had to run 1.5KW into the beam (10+KW ERP) and even then some do not hear me..
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Many of us with FLEX Radios seem to have similar problems with one way DX! Heard over in Europe some bands are actually saturated so could be QRM issues.
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Is it possible to run separate programs?  Like one on computer and create a virtual drive and run 2nd from there.  Just a question from a noob.  lol

Larry
    ke2yc 
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Separate directories do not help. Two computers on the network could run separate DAX apps and run the two apps that way.
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ok thank you, But I thought when you create a virtual drive it is like a second computer?  Just learning.

Larry
    ke2yc
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    SOLUTION:

I just ran two different computers at the same time,

1.  One computer 1 Started SSDR  with Slice A DAX Channel 1  and Slice B DAX Channel 2
    2.  Run WSJT on Computer 1 to slice A DAX 1 on 14.076
    3.  Run JTDX on Computer 2 to DAX 2 on 14.076
    4.  had to **** around with the controls for JTDX to convince it was connected to the radio

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    JTDX shines on crowded bands. Do not expect a difference when activity is low.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm running both now so we can you can see after a few hours how they compare
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Here are direct receive screens..  pretty obvious JTDX hears better

Albeit I did have the slices on slightly different frequencies  - too much wine

The first is WSJT-X

The Second is JTDX

• Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited March 2017
    Hi all,

I ran both together no issues here, what I did was run one as normal and the other using right click and ran as administrator. Found little differences in RX but havent seen a crowded band for a while.

Cliff VK2NP
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Does JT Alert work  with just curious JTDX ?

Howard how does JTDX do with WSPR?

Ian
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    for JTAlert need to install the blue JTAlert ICON, wspr is another mode of WSJT-X so probably issues there.
  • KB4AAA
    KB4AAA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes when you install JT Alert it will give you an option to install a version for JTDX. I run both JT alert and JTDX & WSJT-X side by side with no issues. The only thing that I haven't spend much time is I don't seem to get as many responses back from answering someones CQ on JTDX than WSJT-X it could just be coincidence or who knows. I haven't been able to use anything for over a month. Installed a new tower (3 weeks) hooked up my 6300 to try my new hexbeam out dead? Sent back into Flex for repair been there for 2 weeks hopefully I will get it back in 4-5 more weeks and do some more testing between the 2 programs.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Howard, what are your receive settings? Very odd that all your "band activity" decodes are in the very low end of the passband. Much weaker than I would expect, too. Interesting initial results - look forward to more. Have you tried WSJT-X with the advanced decoding parameters? I've noticed a pretty good sweet spot with random erasure patterns at 7 and aggressive decoding at 8, with 2-pass decoding on. YMMV.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The bottom instance was on 077 not 076 so add 1Kc to the readings
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bill is correct.. I had the Slice B frequency wrong on the test setup
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    George.. so far JTDX seems to consistently beat WSJT at even the most aggressive settings.. but obviously lots of parameters still to test.

BTW... Did test Random =7 and Aggressive =8 and still JTDX easily beat it
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I find that when the other guy is weaker than say -23 to -25 then I really need to boost my output power so that they can hear me over the less than optimal signal path.  Basically at least 100W below -20...

To date my best ever QSO was a DL @ -29 when I ran 1.5KW into my beam (10+KW ERP) so he could hear me and he gave me a -19...

Sort of wish the weak guys would have better receivers as invariably the weak ones are the interesting DX.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My 24 hr stats on PSKreporter has gone up 30% since switching to JTDX. On a recent weekend was watching 20M and noticed 61 decodes. Previous best on WSJT-X was 34 decodes.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    OK.  Now you have really piqued my interest in JTDX.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Maybe I'm missing something. JTDX is at 14077 with max freq reported of 1071 Hz. WSJT is at 14076 with max freq reported 454 Hz. Reported Passband for one 14077.0 to 14078.1, the other 14076.0 to 14076.5 . Doesn't make for a lot to compare, especially with apparently different bandwidth.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

@George

I had the second slice setup on the wrong frequency,

I have since corrected the issue

Both Slices have 5 MHz Bandwidths

JTDX still consistently outperforms WSJT

I will post a corrected Screen Shots later today

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    from Igor (JTDX):

... I have got this picture with 61 decodes from air interface, doing my tests I observed up to 120 JT65 decodes in 2700 Hz bandwidth from the simulated wav files there are links published qrz.com/db/ua3djy to various sets of the simulated wav files ...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Now both on the same frequencies on the same radio and antenna but different slices

WSJT

JTDX

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Pretty obvious JTDX is just hearing so much more even with aggressive decodes on WSJT

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Fascinating, Howard. Thanks for doing the comparison.
  • Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    And there's a "JT9 LID" somewhere...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.