Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running across two computers wirelessly get different ip addresses in different domains?

Cliff
Cliff Member
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Probably know the answer but I'll throw it out there,

I have my main shack computer away from my ADSL and ethernet router. No easy Cat cable run.

When connecting locally I get address of 169.254.244.45 which is not on my local network of 192.168.1.1 I was trying to connect from the iPad or other computer wirelessly but cannot,

So my wireless connection sees the internet but my local ethernet does not.

Reading other posts looks like the solution is a wireless bridge.

Tried bridging in the network config in windows 7 but that didn't work either.

Hope I am not doubling up ,
Cliff VK2NP

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    169.... Means your local internet is not communicating with your router. You could have a bad cable or port. Mike va3mw
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    When you say "locally," do you mean a cable from the Flex to your PC LAN port? If so, you're creating a second network (with just two points), not connected to your other network or the internet. This will work fine for the Flex. It doesn't need the Internet. If your computer has two connections (maybe wired and wifi?) you can use the internet and Flex simultaneously. Or, plug both into the same wi-fi extender and add thereby add them to your main network. Then you're cooking with gas and can use a wireless laptop or tablet to run the rig.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes, if you want to connect your shack LAN to your main LAN for Internet access you'll need a wireless bridge or a router that act as one. There are as  many solutions there are situations.

I've used a Linksys WRT54GL for Wireless-G, a TP-Link TL-WR740N for Wireless-N(150) and a D-Link DAP-1522 for Wireless-N(300) as a bridge at one time or another and they all work well. I've also used powerline Ethernet adapters to bridge rooms (not buildings).

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Don't I know you from the TS-480 Yahoo group?

Yes I do. We talked at length about the RTL-SDR dongle as a panadapter, and that "other guy" who was selling them without a buffer amplifier (the voltage divider on TP1).

I sold my HX and upgraded to a 6300.
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks everyone for the replies yes creating two networks is the issue have to try a wireless extender .

• Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited February 2018
    Found an old Asus n10 router here which has a repeater function and works quite well a few small issues but it is working quite well otherwise

Can't change admin password from default and can't get it to auto connect to the AP , 

A better extender may be required.

Now all is on the same network ,

Thanks for the pointers 
    Cliff VK2NP
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hi Danny, that would be me. :)
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Cliff .. I have read this a few times and I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do. It sounds like you are trying to make something easy very difficult. Personally, I have found Wifi extenders to not work very well. When you get an address starting with 169., it means that is the default IP address assigned to the card. It is usually only temporary until the correct ip address is either hard coded or provided by the DHCP server. In your case, the radio is not able to reach the DHCP server for what ever reason. Is there any chance you can share a sketch of what you are trying to do? Sketch it out on paper and take a picture of it? That will help with understanding. Mike va3mw
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    If you are trying to connect from 1 side of your house, to the other, then you can run LAN over AC extenders. They work pretty well and I haven't found they affect HF yet. I have installed these for many customers without issue. You can build quite a network with these and the bandwidth is pretty good. https://www.amazon.ca/TL-WPA4220KIT-ADVANCED-Universal-Extender-Powerline/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467116003&sr=8-2&keywords=lan+extenders Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.