Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running 6500 without a profile

Is there a way to operate the 6500 without a profile?

That is, the radio simple starts where I left off with each use, and uses no rules to govern operation other than my manual operation or CAT commands.

I ask this because when I use FT8, or JS8Call, the radio overrides the CAT frequency mode switch commands, so when FT8 says go to 3573 USB, it goes to 3573 LSB. Sometimes you can see USB flash up before being switched back to LSB. (It actually behaves more complicated than that, sometimes going to 3573 USB correctly, depending on what band was chosen last. Very confusing.)  Seems to me the radio should just obey the CAT commands.

Any advice appreciated.

John Gilbert, K1JWG

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    John, trying to run without any profiles at all would be very complicated.

Here is what I suggest.
    Creat a new profile with all the settings you want, both mic and TX profiles. Name them t8 for example. Now with those new profiles it will behave as your expecting. It will stay on USB and keep all your settings.

Right now there is something telling it to to change to what you don't want. After everything is setup in the profiles correctly, running in any mode becomes very simple.

And maybe there is some setting in WSJT-X that maybe telling it to change things?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    John... what are you using for FT8? I use both WSJT-X and JTDX and SSDR doesn't change modes or anything like that on me. Are you running some other program that can control the radio at the same time, like fldigi or Commander?

FT8 and most digi modes I think, uses DIGU, not USB. DIGU is important because it disables compression and TX Eq - both of which would distort an FT8 transmission.

My radio does obey the cat commands. I think you might be sending more commands than you know.

Share your config, turn off other programs that can take control and there is probably a pretty quick fix available.

Kev K4VD
  • John Gilbert
    John Gilbert Member
    edited March 2019
    Thanks. I have tried setting a specific profile, but it didn't seem to save my per band selections. I will try again tomorrow after reading the profile manual from stem to stern, and watching some videos on the subject. Sounds like, from your comments, there's a profile solution, so I'll work on it. I doubt both FT8 and JS8Call are the issue, but I will throw a query out on the JS8Call list to see if anyone else has encountered this.
  • John Gilbert
    John Gilbert Member
    edited June 2020
    K4VD: Nothing running but FT8. According to the interactive help on FT8, USB is the correct setting, but testing DIGU, just now, seems to work as expected from band to band, so for now I will use that, and hope this problem does not reappear later. Thanks for your help.

VA3WTB: Even though I have a solution, I will still work on understanding and implementing profiles to make using my radio easier. Thanks for your help.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am with Kev on this, I use FT8 a lot and never have any of these problems either. When you switch bands of cource you are using the band selections in WSJT? Once the radio is in DIGU mode there should be nothing to keep tract of.

You don't need to make profiles per band, just make a digital profile.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    John 
    DIGU is correct for all the digital modes, other than RTTY.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• John Gilbert
    John Gilbert Member
    edited March 2019
    VA3WTB: I not sure what you mean by "digital". There are three profile types: Global, Mic, and Transmit, the latter two having instances linked to by Global. I believe Global saves the state of frequency/mode for all bands, all slices at time of the save, but maybe it's only just slices, which would explain the behavior I saw in my first experiment. I 'm new to this party, so I have some study to do, before I can dance the dance. Thanks again.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    DIGU is the rigt choice for doing FT8 or any of the digital modes save for RTTY . You lots of choices when using profiles. You can do profiles bases on mode, or frequency. Multiple bands and windows could be another way. Many ways to set up the radio with unlimited FLEXABILITY.....
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    What I mean is, when you set up a profile you make your selections, such as selecting DIGU as the mode and band width, filters.and anything eles you want, now thats your digital profile. Now any time you select that profile everything will come up as you set it up. Then in WSJT when you change a band it will not effect any settings you save for that profile.

I save it as a TX profile.
    Good luck,,have fun learning...
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    John

Even after you learn all of the documentation on profiles, there will still be more to learn. No rush required. But if you do learn all the documented info, you will enjoy learning the rest, even faster.

The undocumented info mostly gets passed around in here, in the community posts.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• John Gilbert
    John Gilbert Member
    edited March 2019
    NO5J: Thanks for the heads up. 73.

VA3WTB: Thanks. I'll try it that way. Appreciate the help. 73.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.