Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RTTY tones mark 1275 how to adjust hi/low cuts???

Options
W5AP
W5AP Member
Unable to get output when the rtty tones are changed from the default 2125 to 1275. So some have posted this problem before, but no exact description of how to do it was posted. ie  what hi or low adjustments are set to and how saved?  thanks

Comments

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    settings tab then Radio Setup, then Phone/CW,  Then "RTTY Mark Default" may be what you want.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Bret .... thanks  but I have no problem setting up the RTTY Mark Default to 1275. When doing so, the tones are outside the transmitter passband and no output is produced.  There needs to be some way of adjusting the passband hi/low cut or whatever - which is what I want to know how to do.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Not sure from what you wanted and what radio / software your using but here goes, This is for SmartSDR.

You should be able to just slide the RX passband on the panadapter with your mouse or, In the RX window (Top Right) hover the mouse over the filter window and you will see a small control there pop up,  to do the TX filters go to the "Phone" window and at the bottom of it you will see the TX Filter settings you can just set the "Low and HIGH" cut off's there.

My radio here works Great on RTTY just by using the DIGU settings and making the filter width the width to take in the MARK and SPACE in the passband on the panadapater.

when you get it the way you want it then save your settings by creating a RTTY Profile. 
    If this isn't what your looking for then someone else may understand better what your asking. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tnx Bret
    I have a 6600M 
    I can set the Low/High TX Filter from the TX Menu but am not sure what would be best for the cleanest signal.  I played around it some and have Low set to 950 and High to 1760. That produces an output when running a mark of 1275. Anyone ideas? 
    Tnx, Jim - W5AP
  • Mark K5XH
    Mark K5XH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Here is what I do for mark of 1275. I use DIGL and set an OFFSET of 1360 (1275 + 85).
    Then set your transmit high and low to about 1545 and 1175. 

You can use Bret's method of using DIGU too - just adjust the math accordingly.

Using DIGL the mark tone will be at 1275 Hz and the space tone will be at 1445 Hz so you need to set the transmitter TX filter wide enough to pass these tones plus some margin for the keying sidebands. 

This may not be the best way but it works for me!

Using this method allows you to double click between the lines on the waterfall to tune in a signal quickly.

73, Mark K5XH

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Why use the Dig U/L ? There is a RTTY mode. in SSDR/W and Maestro. I know I must be missing the intent of the original message. 
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I agree Lou
    I am setting rtty and I need to know the TX Filter Low and High settings so the transmitter will transmit AFSK when the mark is set to 1275 (the default being an annoying mark of 2125)
    Nothing in the manual for this
    Tnx Jim - W5AP
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim,

Maybe I am missing something...still....or maybe I am under a misinterpretation ....(been known to happen!). 

Why would you want to set your Mark to 1275? The standard mark and space tones are 2125 hz and 2295 hz respectively. (170 shift) On HF.  With these settings, you should be able to transmit RTTY.

In the RTTY mode, Mark Frequency (2125) is set under the DSP settings...when you are in the RTTY mode, the AFSK tones will be appropriately sent by SSDR. The space will be whatever you set the shift to...probably 170 or 200...

There should be no need to set a TX filter. 

After reviewing the above, does this answer your question? 

Lou N2TU

• Mark K5XH
    Mark K5XH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The reason some would like to use the low set of tones is that they are less fatiguing during long periods (like contests). Another reason is that in SO2R operation it is desirable to have the low tones in one ear and the high tones in the other.   

To answer W5AP's question more specifically here goes: In "Settings->Phone/CW" Set the RTTY Mark Default to 1275. Then set the Mode to RTTY. Set the TX Filter settings to 1005 and 1375. This should allow the passage of the 1275 mark and the 1105 space tone plus a margin for the keying sidebands. 

From what I can tell the "RTTY Mark Default" is a global setting. When I was playing around with trying to figure all this out my goal was to eventually set up for SO2R operation with one radio set up for low tones and one for high tones. This did not seem to be possible using the RTTY mode. But is possible using DIGL (or DIGU) mode. 

Another thing I noted is that in the RTTY mode you can double click on the mark line on the waterfall (as opposed to between the peaks when using DIGL/U).  

I have only experimented with the RTTY mode so please do not consider this to expert advise by any means.

73, Mark K5XH 
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Very helpful and tnx for your comments. I've tried some narrower filter settings but don't know the effects on the signal.  Your TX filter settings look perfect

Tnx es 73, Jim - W5AP
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The High and Low cut parameters are associated with the mode so only one set of parameters can be set for RTTY. Playing with my 6700 and two instances of FLDigi, I set one slice for the low tones and another slice for the high tones. Then set the Low cut for 1005 and high for 2125. I was able to transmit from either instance of FLDigi. Watching the panadapter for each slice, could not see any significant difference in the transmitted waveform between having the High/Low cut parameters closely associated with the transmitted tones and a wide setting to allow both low and high tones. For the JT Digital modes the H/L cut setting are wide open. Thoughts?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.