RTTY Split with DM780 and Flex 6400

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
    First time Flex owner with a 6400.  When operating split and the split is greater then what I can see on the DM780 screen, looking for recommendations for a setup to key on the split frequency.  My previous rig was a FTDX 3000, and when the split was say 5 up, I would just lock the VFO in DM780, put the rig in split and HRD would key my 3000 VFO B to the frequency that the rig was at while still monitoring VFO A.  When I create slice B on the Flex and move it up to my tx freq while slice A is still on the rx freq in DM780 and key it, the TX jumps from slice B to A (in SSDR) and now I'm calling on the DX tx frequency!  (sorry about that guys who were chasing 3D2EU today!)
    I'm using DDutil as the HRD front end, have SDR-Bridge and CW Skimmer, and WSJT-X also installed.  All are talking together and everything is tracking.  Is this something where I need to assign another DAX stream to DM780?  As a new owner who just breathed a sigh of relief for getting this far, can somebody recommend a semi-permanent configuration where I wouldn't have to make changes on the fly if a DX is sitting up 2, then all of a sudden he jumps up 5 and I'm clicking to reconfigure?
    Ordered mine May 23, and it got here two weeks ago. I've been reading this forum daily since I ordered it, I've learned alot, and the radio is a blast.  Thanks.

73 KE7W (Pete)

Photo of Peter Fullmer

Peter Fullmer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 594 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Quick answer...
I don't own a 6400 but I know that this radio has at least 2 slices.
That's how I do it in my F6700; you should be able to do a similar split.
Set receive on one and the transmit on the other.
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 146 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
This behavior is caused by SmartSDR CAT. Open the SmartSDR CAT window from the taskbar, Now select the port you are using for rig control from your DM780 software. Click "Edit..." and click on the "Enable" button next to "Auto Switch TX Slice" to disable it. You should probably do this for all ports. Your problem will be solved.

Craig, KØCF
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Don't use split! Use VFO A for receive and set the 2nd slice VFO as the transmit selected and on the frequency you wish to transmit on. You have to set slice 1 to RCV and slice 2 to TX on the flex then it should work fine unless HRD messes it up somehow.
Photo of Peter Fullmer

Peter Fullmer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks everybody for the responses.  Disabled the auto-switching and all is right with the world.  As an additional question/comment,   under what scenario would you want to keep the auto-switching on?  If I have both slices on the Flex visible, its only because I want to work a split or to monitor a different band and am manually choosing which slice to transmit off of.  I wouldn't want it to tx on what it thinks I want, I want it to tx on the freq I've selected.

Pete KE7W
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1564 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Peter
Some of us multitask by trying to work multiple digital modes and SSB on different frequencies,at the same time, cause we just can't stand not being way too busy.
I can usually manage 2 slices worth of fun, but I'm too slow for 3. I also only have 2 ears, YMMV

#Flexradio

73, Jay / NO5J

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2947 Posts
  • 637 Reply Likes
Jay, but were does auto switching come in, is it when other software controls things and it auto switches?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2947 Posts
  • 637 Reply Likes
Peter, how do you like the radio so far?
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1564 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Bill
All I know is something is auto switching it, might be Fldigi, WSJTX, DXLabs, or FRStacks, I'm no longer sure anymore. I kinda suspect that since the selections are very rarely correct, it's probably me doing the switching.  

#Flexradio

73, Jay / NO5J