Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RTTY Split Problem with Writelog

Joe Duerbusch
Joe Duerbusch Member
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I just upgraded to Verision 1.6.17.74 and I am having a problem with trying to work RTTY split.
I am using Writelog with MMTTY plugin.  
When I go split, vfo B, TX on B lit, when I send a macro or keyboard, the Focus changes to vfo A and the TX on A lights.
I have MMTTY set to DAX Audio RX1 for receive, and DAX Audio TX.  From what I have read about the new DAX is the DAX Audio TX should follow the slice?  
In the previous version of DAX I could set the transmit to DAX Audio TX2.
Any idea's?
Joe K0BX

Answers

• William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I was using MMTTY with SmartSDR 1.6.17 and FLEX-6700 a few days ago on 30m RTTY.

I set Slice A on 10.138-MHz RTTY mode and assigned DAX RX 1 here. This was K5P's TX frequency. They were listening down.

I set Slice B around 10.132 RTTY mode and engaged the TX button on the flag.I assumed therefore that I would transmit on this  frequency.

When I transmitted, initiated from MMTTY, SSDR switched TX to Slice A right on the K5P TX frequency. Oops. I felt like a lid.

I resolved the problem by setting Slice A on 10.132-MHz (my desired TX freq in the pileup) and Slice B to 10.138 (the DX frequency).

is this a MMTTY issue? I haven't noticed this in SSB or CW mode. Something is overriding my selected TX slice and only it appears in RTTY and/or with MMTTY.

While we're on the subject, this was my first time using the SSDR RTTY mode selection, very nice - love it, especially the tuning alignment markers in the panfall - makes it very simple to dial in a station by aligning with the mark / space traces in the waterfall.

Bill AA7XT
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    With MMTTY, When I run RTTY to work DX or contest stations who are Split, I don't usually mess with two slices, I simply use XIT to shift the transmit frequency to where I want it.  The graphic display on the panadapter makes it easy to lay my signal down right where I want it.  

If you are the DX station running split, then you can set your TX frequency where you need it, lock the slice, and use the RIT to tune around looking for stations calling you.  

Will this work for you?  Or do you need your logging program to track the actual frequencies of both ends of the contact?

Ken - NM9P
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I suspect this is what happened.  You are using only one CAT port and it is assigned to slice A.  If Writelog is not issuing a split command (ZZSW1;) then the radio thinks it is only using Slice A.  I assume this because you created a Slice B manually; issueing the ZZSW1; command would have automatically created the split slice. Now the CAT port assigned to Slice A is probably configured to auto switch on transmit, meaning if TX was on Slice B when a TX CAT command was sent down the CAT port, the radio will switch TX from Slice B to Slice A.
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Ken,  I have used your method often, especially when operating digital or SSB split remotely.  Works great.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Joe,
      If your Wirtelog/MMTTY can allow you to use the RTS PTT method, then you can configure a PTT port in SSDR CAT CP with 'Auto Swicth TX Slice ' NOT enabled.  Then when you go to transmit the TX slice will not switch but stay with which ever slice is enabled for TX in SSDR.

AL, K0VM
  • Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited January 2016
    That is what is happening.  What is the cure???
    Should I make another CAT port for Slice B

Joe K0BX
  • Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks Al, well I tried the Not Enabled but no luck.
    Thank you for your comment.

Joe K0BX  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Turn off "Auto Switch TX" on the slice A CAT port and see if that behavior does what you want it to do.
  • Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi Tim, turning off the Auto Switch TX did not do the trick.  I even added another CAT port for Slice B but that did no work either.
    I think part of the problem is Writelog doesn't know about the change you made in the new version.  I tried K1EL emulation for cw within Writelog but there was excess delay between me hitting the macro and it sending.  The K5P worked two guys before my call was sent.
    I went back to my K1EL Keyer.

Thanks for your help.
    Joe K0BX

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hello,   I have the same HRD probleme,avec for the solution of now, to reverse vfo A in TX and B vfo in RX   
    it functions, only to change the operator's habits
  • Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited February 2016
    Thanks everyone for their comments.  But I must be the only ham that wants RTTY split to be the same as every Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu that I have own.  That is, when going split the AFSK will go to the TX VFO.  

I have re-installed V1.5.1.70 which works fine with WL.  I guess I will have to wait until someone else complains.

Joe K0BX

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hello Joe,
      not to be you the only one has make of the split more that 10 k  
    I hope that flex is going to find the solution, or then to come back has 1.5, if it is even possible 
    73 Janny
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Helloimage
    here is the solution flex has increased the possibility with the XIT to pass the 10 k  have used only a VFO
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just discovered this same problem tonight trying to work TX7EU on 17m RTTY. I'm just running MMTTY, and when I try to run split, which is how I run all my other split operations, the "TX" indicator switches immediately to slice "A" as soon as transmit is started. I didn't realize this until I happened to notice that my signal was right on the "A" slice cursor! Nice job QRMing the DX station. Yes, I've worked XIT before, but we really need for this to work consistenly between SSB, CW, and RTTY (and other?) modes. I hate having to remember special cases for different modes . . .
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One way would be to set up two instances of MMTTY and two com ports, one auto switching to slice A and the other auto switching to slice B. Then transmit from whichever MMTTY window you need to. Another way is when doing split to edit the com port and make it auto switch to slice B. A third way is to edit the com port and turn off auto switch and manually select which slice to use for TX. One of these should work. I have used # 2 & 3. I have also simply used the XIT. My most common way to use split wit MMTTY. Ken - NM9P
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I guess I missed the usefulness of the new feature in the latest SSDR - thought it would allow TX audio to go to whichever slice had TX set for it. Missed the "auto switch" or whatever it is that is causing the software to override my explicit setting. I'll have to dive in and check that out. Thanks for the pointers, Ken. 73, Duane
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If auto switching it ON for a COM port associated with a slice, then when a program issues a transmit command using that COM port the TX shifts to the slice associated with the port. DAX TX audio goes to whatever slice is transmitting...IF the DAX button is activated on the transmit panel. If auto switching is OFF then when transmit is activated via that COM port the TX remains on whatever slice it was already set to transmit. Ken - NM9P
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And here I thought it worked the other way around. . . . OK, wait a second . . . Then why doesn't it switch to Slice A to transmit when I'm running split on CW? or SSB? Why just on RTTY? As far as I can tell, everything is set up the same way.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Answering my own question - I went into CAT and started turning on/off the AutoSwitch option. Now it makes sense, although I'm not sure I understand where this is useful. The COM port that MMTTY was using was set for AutoSwitch (why?) which is what was causing the problem. As soon as I disabled that, it worked as expected. Now all we need is for FLEX to implement a "quick QSK" function as some other rigs have to keep (some of) us from QRMing the DX frequency accidentally! :-)
  • Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited May 2018
    Well guys the fix to my problem was to set the Auto Switch TX Slice to Disabled.  This is located in the PTT Port of CAT.  Once that was done, all was happy.

Joe K0BX

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Joe - as I commented above, I just found and "fixed" that too.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.