Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RTTY Mode -- Special Filter?

Peter K1PGV
Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows

I've just tried RTTY mode for the first time.  The results are stunning.  I could back the AGC Threshold down to the point where I could barely hear the station calling, and I could copy 100% -- I could widen the filter bandwidth to 1.5K and could hear almost no background noise.

Let me guess... RTTY mode implements a really-cool bi-modal filter of some type?

(sorry if this is in the docs or has already been discussed... I'm just so impressed, I had to post and ask). 

Answers

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Peter..  Your post appears to be one of those rare PRAISE postings and possibly should have been labelled as such :)   I agree with your assessment.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are not doing anything really special with the RTTY filters.  We just use really sharp filter shirts for the narrower filters and low latency filters for the wider ones. We have discussed a "twin peak" type filter that can be emulated when parked on a single frequency by using the 250 Hz filter and placing a triple deep TNF that is 10 Hz wide between mark and space.  This helps in crowded band conditions is signals are ending up in between your mark and space.   
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2015
    Peter, What RTTY program are you using? James WD5GWY
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    A number of people 'Liked' a RTTY mode on here and Flex came up with a real dandy.  Can't say how much time that filter saved me in contests from the old days. 

Nice work, Flex !

Yep - its time for a pint,  oh heck, the weekend, make it three !

Cheers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.