Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

rtty low tones

Jamie WW3S
Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
trying to set for rtty low tones, I figured out how to change the default mark freq, receive is fine, but nothing going out on transmit. Previous posts mention something about the TX filters , I cant find where I need to adjust that? Also, is the mark freq setting global, across all slices? Would be nice to set one for high and one for low....

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    First, the Flex 6000-series radios are the best RTTY radios I have ever used. Put the Flex into RTTY mode and in MMTTY, or whatever you are using as your TU program, set Mark to 2125 Hz and the shift to 170 Hz. The Flex RTTY mode takes care of the transmit bandwidth. Note that the Flex radio does not support "true" FSK, but keep in mind this radio is fully digital, and feeding in audio as AFSK is in all respects equal or superior to radios that have an FSK keying input. It simply makes no difference that you use AFSK instead of FSK.

In my experience, you will obtain the best results by sticking with the old standard 2125 Hz Mark. See Section 32.5 of the SmartSDR manual for V 2.4.9

• Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    a rtty contest with high tones, you may as well just pierce your skull with a dull drill bit.....most serious rtty contesters use low tones....actually, with 2 radios, we set one on low and one on high....I have receive working on low tones, but I'm missing something on transmit....I saw an old post about needing to adjust the TX filter, as a new user, I guess I'm not smart enough to know where that is at....
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    That's really not true, since, especially with a Flex, you don't need to listen to the RTTY tones. I turn the AF gain way back so that I barely hear them.

By the way, the transmit bandwidth is set using the Low Cut and High Cut bandwidth controls found on the Transmit Control panel (one of the panels normally at the right side of the panadapter display in SmartSDR).

• Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    is it available from the Maestro? 

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I can't answer that for you, since I have never used a Maestro. The power of SmartSDR has left me totally uninterested in the Maestro. But, to each his own... I have a number of friends who love the Maestro.
  • Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    thanks Craig, I found it in SSDR.....
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 2020
    One reason low tones are used is due to the TX bandwidth shaping on when they run AFSK.  Since there is no shaping in digital  modes, you are only limited by your TX bandwidth.  

However, you do have the option to set them to what you wish.  

These values default to 2125 and 170 Hz respectively for operating at 45.5 baud, the standard for HF RTTY. The RTTY Mark is an IF shift of the Slice Receiver indicated frequency which allows knob tuning and spot frequency reporting to third-party programs that expect the reported frequency to be the RTTY Mark frequency. For knob tuning, move the frequency centerline (the higher frequency yellow line) on the Mark frequency (higher of the two tones). RTTY mode can also be tuned by double tapping on the Panadapter display at the desired Mark frequency. To the user, the IF shift at the RTTY Mark frequency is transparent since the Slice seems to be tuned to the RTTY Mark. The Slice Receiver filter is also IF shifted and the default filter presets are centered between the RTTY Mark and Space frequencies.

You may want to flip some pages in the Maestro User Guide.  RTTY mode is discussed in section 28.2.

If you don't have the link to the user guide, you can find it here:  https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/maestro-user-guide-pdf/

Mike

• Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Mike.....i was able to find and configure it, works great......is that a global setting between slices, or can they be independently configured .?
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    For the 3.x version Maestro user guide, it is now in Section 31.2.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.